Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2023, 02:04   #46

Boat: Mumby 48
Re: HH 44 by the Wynss

Totally agreed that $100k is completely excessive for what's being added.
JustMurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2023, 08:40   #47

Boat: Jeanneau 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMurph View Post
Totally agreed that $100k is completely excessive for what's being added.
Someone posted that is what the option cost. Maybe it’s overstated but that would be my main issue if not.
Letterkenny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2023, 09:28   #48

Boat: Mumby 48

I'm not surprised at $100k, based on what gets charged for marine electric drives. $20k a side for the drives and controllers. $50k of lithium. $10k of custom integration.

None of that stuff is actually worth anywhere near that much money though.
JustMurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2023, 10:21   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letterkenny View Post
Someone posted that is what the option cost. Maybe it’s overstated but that would be my main issue if not.
The option includes not only the hybrid motors/controllers but also the lithium bank increases from 7.7kwh to 43kwh and the inverters are increased. They are using MG batteries so they aren't cheap.
sw34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2023, 10:54   #50

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw34 View Post
The option includes not only the hybrid motors/controllers but also the lithium bank increases from 7.7kwh to 43kwh and the inverters are increased. They are using MG batteries so they aren't cheap.
LFP half 20kwh is more then enough to get in/out of habours and bay, should get that to 50k$.
20k$ for engine, 10k custom and 20k batteries. The 44 is smaller, think add on was 85k.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2023, 00:10   #51

Boat: Jeanneau 349

I think it’s too much for what it is and what the current technology is. Guess the main issue is that manufacturers currently don’t get much scale so have to pass on higher R&D costs compared to other industries. I like to be an early adopter but not at that price point knowing that it’s just going to decrease (at least compared to normal price inflation on boats).
Letterkenny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2023, 02:33   #52

Boat: CM50 (launch 2025)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
Yes a FP Bahia 46 has 9.5t, the HH44 with more equipment 9.8t so that should really do it.
An outremer 45/48 has 13.8t.
Are you talking about light ship displacement ?
The Outremer 45/48 is 8.7T.
ozolli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2023, 22:48   #53

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Our 2003 French-built production boat has a tricolour at the mast top, a steaming light half way up the front of the mast and no other navigation lights. Very awkward and not compliant when motoring.

On our works list is adding deck-level navigation lights that we can use when motoring at night. Recently added a stern light, but still figuring out where exactly to put the port and starboard lights. Favoured location is the cabin top. Only issue with that location, that I can’t resolve in the ColRegs, is whether the port/starboard lights can be behind the steaming light?
I assume you also have a anchor light on top?

If your boat is less than 12m you can replace the steam light half way up the mast with a bicolour one. Then with a tricolour and a all round white light on top you are set. That is for example how my brother's Etap is set up.
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2023, 01:37   #54

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
I assume you also have a anchor light on top?

If your boat is less than 12m you can replace the steam light half way up the mast with a bicolour one. Then with a tricolour and a all round white light on top you are set. That is for example how my brother's Etap is set up.

Yes, tricolour/anchor light combination light (https://www.optolamp.com.br/english/...ct-4-in-1.html) Eco Classic version.

We’re over 15m so have to have separate lights. Not sure why the factory didn’t send out the boat with fully compliant lighting but 20 years later we’re finally doing the upgrade.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2023, 11:46   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
I just can't get past the made in China issue. We buy enough stuff made over there, do we have to buy boats too?
However, HH says future 44s and 52s will be made in Cebu, Philipines which is a great move.
So you're not a "Buy Aussie" or "Buy American" sorta guy, you're just a "Don't buy Sino" sorta guy? I can understand wanting to support your own country's industry, which would be a position of patriotism, but that comment seems more like a position of hate or prejudice.

BTW, I would guess that HH moving to the Philippines is to avoid the 30% import duties bringing craft into America, versus just a few percent from other countries.

Does Australia also have huge import duties on Chinese goods also?
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 18:11   #56

Hi All, I usually just read, but had to signup for this one.
Looks like a great boat to me.
Plenty hands on deck to put it through the tests, but good setup for single.
I like the drop downs for safety, especially if little ones onboard, lean against, including reeling in a meal.
And who wouldn't use the side boarding if they had them.
Nice & quite below, even without bashing, bathroom was a fair indicator.
For his age/experience, James Hakes has done a great job. Image what he'll be designing in 20yrs.
WestAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 12:26   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw34 View Post
43kwh seems like a lot, no?
adamgoldberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 15:21   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamgoldberg View Post
43kwh seems like a lot, no?
Thats to get good range under electric, not necessary in my point of view.
I would request go down to 20kwh and just use it go in/out anchor spot, marina. Rest is diesel task, engine need to run from time to time too.
Would save min 20k cost on the upgrade of i believe was 85k for the HH44. And also saves weight.

Was just on a testsail on an performance cat Alibi 54 that was setup to run electric too but didn't never work really properly...so in beginning of the year the current owner throwed the edrive out and replaced with 2 betas too. Now it works but really just for in/out habour or anchor spot...thats whats bad anyhow for the engine, short runs when it hardly gets really to operation temps. On a performance cat you hardly ever motorsail, if engine is on you have no wind or you really go full against wind and Alibi owner confirmed this too.
Old 03-02-2024, 19:34   #59

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I just watched the latest Vagabond video. Their diesels failed on the new boat, so they went for a test cruise under regen and solar only. They are now limping back to port to wait for the diesels to be fixed and whinging about how boring 2 knots is. That is a 60 foot high performance tri that makes the HH44 look like a Bali.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 21:24   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
I just watched the latest Vagabond video. Their diesels failed on the new boat, so they went for a test cruise under regen and solar only. They are now limping back to port to wait for the diesels to be fixed and whinging about how boring 2 knots is. That is a 60 foot high performance tri that makes the HH44 look like a Bali.
You cannot compare a 44ft and a 60ft, if then use the HH60 which flies one hull in 8kn of wind.
Rapido is most likely a bit faster but on that performance level i would prefer anytime the comfort and especially the protect helm of the HH60 compared to rapido 60.