Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2022, 10:48   #91

Boat: Catalina 42 MKII
Re: Hunter, Catalina, Benneteau Debate

When I was in the market for a sailboat several years ago, my budget limited me to purchasing a production boat - Catalina, Barvaria, Beneteau, Hunter, Jeaneau, Dufour etc. I didn't limit my search to one specific manufacturere as I believe for the most part these manufacturer are in the same category in terms of build quality and performance. What was more important to me when deciding on a sailboat to purchase was how it was equipped - lead keel vs iron keel, direct dirive vs sail drive, keel stepped mast vs deck stepped mast, masthead vs fractional rig, the quality of rigging, the size of winches and windlass, sailing performance, accesories, interior layout/ ammenities/ storage and ulitimately boat condition. During my search there was no one sailboat that met all my criteria, so you have to decide where you are going to compromise. My first offer was on a Beneteau 423 however there was already a pending offer which was accepted, the boat I eventually purchased was a Catalina 42 MKII. However in my search my final few included a Barvaria 42 and Hunter 46. IMHO you judge each boat (manfucaturer, model and year) individually.
dmkkeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2022, 13:22   #92

Boat: Oceanis 38 11.5m
Debate my a$$

This thread isn't a debate, it's a slow motion lynching as are all threads of this ilk. Please excuse me as I leave my computer to go sail the piece of s#i+ sailboat that I chose to buy.
Old 24-04-2022, 14:15   #93

The fact is, it's a little rude to tell someone else their boat isn't made well. It's also arrogant, and possibly ill-informed.

Most boats are built to a purpose. If they fit that purpose well, so be it. Even if they don't fit the purpose well, but someone manages to achieve their personal goals with it, so be it.

Who is smarter, someone who buys a really expensive make of boat and underutilizes it, or someone who squeezes every capability out of a more economical build?

I think you can argue that whatever the make of boat, the person who uses it more has made the wiser choice.

Most boats spend way too much time at the marina, while their owners ignore them. Perhaps to type on cruising forums.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2022, 15:35   #94

I'll chime in about what I have and know - 2005 Beneteau 323. Is it the best boat? - No. Is it a bluewater boat for major crossings?- No.

But it is a good boat that allowed a family to get into sailing on a reasonable budget, with pretty simple systems, logical features/layout and capacities that work for us. I struggle to understand the whole this vs that discussion, because it's pointless in most cases.

If you enjoy it and it works for you - it's a good boat. Just like our first car (in another country) that had a 1.6L carbureted engine, nothing was electric, no power steering, tiny, noisy, etc. It was a great car that allowed us to experience something new, enjoy life and get places.

At the same time my friend bought a brand new 50ft for $1,000,000 because that was a good boat for him. Both of us enjoy the time on the water and have a ton of fun.
George_SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2022, 15:54   #95

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by George_SD View Post
I struggle to understand the whole this vs that discussion, because it's pointless in most cases.

There’s a whole industry doing just that. So somebody must disagree.

It’s a fair enough question, particularly since it was restricted to three manufacturers and a five year period. The fact that the thread was taken elsewhere muddied the water.

Now if it were further restricted to competitive models, say 42’ then there would be some good info that would be comparable.

We all do this for that every day. It’s maximizing value. Those that research do better than those who ask, but they do better than those who buy blindly.
Old 25-04-2022, 00:48   #96
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

I’d say Group Beneteau have built more boats this weekend then Catalina have in total ever produced

Zillions of beneteaus sailing around the planet. Iv e sailed Catalinas , outside the US , they are basically non existent . Basically a “ meh “ boat.
Old 25-04-2022, 20:01   #97

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Zillions of beneteaus sailing around the planet.
Yeah, you're right about that.
Whilst the Bennies aren't my "cup of tea" their are a lot of them out there.
One of the Youtubers I watch sails one.
Old 26-04-2022, 15:43   #98
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
I’d say Group Beneteau have built more boats this weekend then Catalina have in total ever produced

Zillions of beneteaus sailing around the planet. Iv e sailed Catalinas , outside the US , they are basically non existent . Basically a “ meh “ boat.
and Lada built more cars than Rolls Royce.
Old 27-04-2022, 08:54   #99

Quote:

Quantity isn't quality. However, you don't seem to be working with what you call "actual facts".

Catalina Yachts has manufactured 80,000 boats.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalina_Yachts
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 19:12   #100

Boat: TBD

What I learned from this thread is that my search for a sailboat is going to be just like my search for a motorhome. A lot of opinions, a lot of hate for some brands that others love and a lot of agreement on certain brands not being well made. Which actually does help.
Fishigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 01:40   #101
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
Quantity isn't quality. However, you don't seem to be working with what you call "actual facts".

Catalina Yachts has manufactured 80,000 boats.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalina_Yachts

Like I said , a fraction
Old 02-05-2022, 01:49   #102
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishigan View Post
What I learned from this thread is that my search for a sailboat is going to be just like my search for a motorhome. A lot of opinions, a lot of hate for some brands that others love and a lot of agreement on certain brands not being well made. Which actually does help.

Indeed and this is my point. Most opinions here are subjective and largely based on personal prejudices, many of which are based on no personal experience of the differences.

Most good quality production yachts and by that include Catalina , group Beneteau boats and Bavaria , as well as smaller mainstream such as Hanse , Dufour , Gibsea , Delphi etc ( some of these are not in business anymore ) produce a yacht that is more then capable of meeting the requirements most owners have and certainly from 40 feet upwards more then capable of leisure orientated trans oceans journeys with some suitable prep.

The high end brands ,which produce very small numbers and the majority have struggled financially to survive tend to have a loyal following ( some people always want a BMW over a Toyota )

I’ve been in several of their factories , certain aspects are better , but often the build costs , particularly as these are skilled and highly labour intensive drive a higher selling cost. Do you get a proportional increase in quality , no you definitely don’t.

Hence these angels on the head of a pin , debates are sterile. A bolt in keel , space rudder , full of liners , boat will happily take you around the world , will be durable as thousands of second hand users will attest to and suit many many users.
Old 02-05-2022, 16:07   #103

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Like I said , a fraction
Well, no, what you said was:

"I’d say Group Beneteau have built more boats this weekend then Catalina have in total ever produced"

And that was, to be polite about it, incorrect and misleading.

Jim
Old 02-05-2022, 16:44   #104

These discussions are fapping, plain & simple. What makes a great boat is hull design, sail plan & construction of essential systems. My Catalina has solid bones, very sturdy where it counts. Dovetail galley drawers? No. Elaborate carpentry? Nope. Does that make her any less seaworthy? Negative. Just a bit more bumpy in the snot & less impressive below. Great boats & I’m more than happy to DIY as it’s made with this in mind.
SofaKingFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 19:22   #105

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Well, you ask for subjective opinions from members here but when they disagree with your perceived outcome you disagree and challenge them. And you're right...it's been discussed a million times and usually it ends up the same way your thread has.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina, hunter