Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2014, 08:56   #46

Boat: Newport 30
re: Ads reach a record high - MERGED

I use Firefox, but no adblockers or anything like that..I don't see giant ads or "chick" ads. I wonder if it's different if you're logging-in on a mobile device? I will test that theory & report.
Old 26-03-2014, 08:59   #47
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Like the topic of this thread, perhaps?

Mark
Yes! I'm still waiting to for an ad for some chicks to appear so I can follow it to their site.
Old 26-03-2014, 10:05   #48

Boat: Catalina 30

What the H3ll is that thing in the ad just above here?
Frenzy Over New Diet Pill with a picture of what?
Maybe nobody else sees it. It's pretty weird.

edit: Now it's just below here.
Old 27-03-2014, 01:22   #49
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Firstly, I did ask Andy R, the big boss, if he could make our vendors and their threads a little easier to find, since I know many of us like to support their giveaways, as well as other special offers they make. Personally, I think it is much easier to distinguish, now, between which ads are our own vendors, and which are targeted google ads. My objective achieved!

(While we're on the subject, if you're seeing girl ads, then it's probably a good idea not to admit it so loud, since the google ads are based on your browsing history!!!)

Secondly, there are no extra ads. They have simply been moved around to make better use of the space available to us, and give our vendors more prominence.

Thirdly, my own opinion. Back when I was a noob, there were already ads here, both from CF and from Google. They didn't bother me. I studied this site for years, as diligently as I was studying for my masters' degree, and as a direct result was motivated to set up the boat, then sell up and sail. My life aboard is as a direct result of my participating in this forum. For that I am ever grateful.

Now, if I can help to put something back in, as I try to do by handling our vendors, then it's the least I can do. And rather than being a tiresome chore, it is a pleasure to deal with businesses who can, and do, help us out by supporting the site costs through their subscriptions, and by supporting our members through their discounts and Giveaways. To me, it all seems like win/win. Especially given it's all still for free!
Old 27-03-2014, 05:22   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Yepper, gonna have to make the effort to learn the techier stuff. I won't be shocked because I realized years ago that comments and searches elicited targeted ads. Last week I searched for a new batt charger. Now I get MANY ads for them. Who do I tell that I bought one, and cease already?

No foolin'... Like... I done finished with that ya idjit... It's not going to make me feel one bit better discovering I bought the wrong model, or I spent way too much money, by the constant bombardment of of ads for the Marine widgit I JUST BOUGHT.... And any information I glean post purchase will be completely useless when it comes time to replace it...

The mention of Tor and Epic, new to me, is helpful. Switching to Foxfire solved the IE problem of the page not fitting on the screen but the new ads are tough indeed. I've been a $ supporter in the past but I have to agree with Ann currently and several others in the past that the posts are the real value here. (Not mine, of course, the informational ones.) That said, I'd pay again to be ad-free.

IE went the way of the dodo for me from day zero years and YEARS ago ... Netscape to FF was evolution... Chrome is way faster, but doesn't have the features I prefer... (btw... entertainment posts are severely underrated crabby)

Another thing I've noticed is that several of my favorite posters have left here over the years, some to SN and elsewhere. I suspect the repetitive nature of post topics and general yuppiness here drives the more experienced salts away. Throw in intrusive ads ...
I think you are spot on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrymc View Post
I use Firefox, but no adblockers or anything like that..I don't see giant ads or "chick" ads. I wonder if it's different if you're logging-in on a mobile device? I will test that theory & report.
Jerry... If you need help, I have some experience here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post
Firstly, I did ask Andy R, the big boss, if he could make our vendors and their threads a little easier to find, since I know many of us like to support their giveaways, as well as other special offers they make. Personally, I think it is much easier to distinguish, now, between which ads are our own vendors, and which are targeted google ads. My objective achieved!

(While we're on the subject, if you're seeing girl ads, then it's probably a good idea not to admit it so loud, since the google ads are based on your browsing history!!!)

Secondly, there are no extra ads. They have simply been moved around to make better use of the space available to us, and give our vendors more prominence.

Thirdly, my own opinion. Back when I was a noob, there were already ads here, both from CF and from Google. They didn't bother me. I studied this site for years, as diligently as I was studying for my masters' degree, and as a direct result was motivated to set up the boat, then sell up and sail. My life aboard is as a direct result of my participating in this forum. For that I am ever grateful.

Now, if I can help to put something back in, as I try to do by handling our vendors, then it's the least I can do. And rather than being a tiresome chore, it is a pleasure to deal with businesses who can, and do, help us out by supporting the site costs through their subscriptions, and by supporting our members through their discounts and Giveaways. To me, it all seems like win/win. Especially given it's all still for free!
So we have found the culprit... Ah HA!!!! Bad Saucy....
Intentions are noble... the vendors are flip flappin' awesome here... I think we all support them... When I need a new anchor/snubber hook it will be Mantus... If Hopcar's got something I need and it's a few bucks around the best price... It's Hoppy... If WaterwayGuide has the material I'm lookin' for... It's them... Etc...

There's a TON of room on my browser to move the new vendor box in the right pane DIRECTLY UNDER the recent discussions list... Move it from between the posts to there, and I think we'll all be happy... I would bet my port preventer that's where 90% of us navigate the site from anyway... Way more than actual posting... ALSO... You can also get rid of the STUPID "popular topics" box there... It is completely useless with the tags of:

ais anchor arc Australia autopilot Bahamas battery Caribbean catamaran charts crew cruising diesel engine florida fuel garmin generator lagoon liveaboard marine mast member Mexico opencpn outboard Panama paracelle radar raymarine sail sailboat sailing sale solar volvo wanted water yacht yanmar

I think we all can use the search function just fine...

AND FINALLY...... WHY ARE THERE NO ADS FOR ADBLOCKERS!!!!!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
Old 27-03-2014, 05:27   #51

Boat: 45' CC ketch

Well, Adblock Pro for chrome, with custom filters, solved the problem for good. Too bad for owners - before, I actually did look at ads, did ckick, and even made business with one of advertisers on CF. Not anymore though - no more ads, no more clicks, no reveniues and no more business for advertisers from me. Thanks to someone's greed and shortsightedness.
Old 27-03-2014, 06:03   #52

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post
So I hope you and Andy will be monitoring the impact of this change Saucy. As anyone in marketing and public discourse can tell you, for every full-blown complaint one receives, there are usually many times more folks simply stewing silently, and perhaps voting with their clicks or their installation of ad blockers. If revenues to CF and the vendors increase, then all good (for CF and vendors ... not for people like me). If the opposite happens, I assume CF will respond. It's free market capitalism after all.

All this does make me pine for the early days of the Internet (and before the Net) when commercial activities were simply not allowed. We had these kinds of discussions via public spaces like Usenet, Freenets and some BBSs. But like public spaces everywhere, commercial interests continually colonize and eventually kill off the commons, converting public goods into a private revenue streams.

Like all things in life, privatization is a double-edge sword. There are positive aspects (vBulletin which powers CF, can do so much more than Usenet forums), but there are downsides as well. Being subjected to unsought advertising is one of those downsides.
Old 27-03-2014, 06:29   #53

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
... the vendors are flip flappin' awesome here... I think we all support them... When I need a new anchor/snubber hook it will be Mantus... If Hopcar's got something I need and it's a few bucks around the best price... It's Hoppy... If WaterwayGuide has the material I'm lookin' for... It's them... Etc...

... Move [ads] from between the posts to [the margins], and I think we'll all be happy...
All true for me too. I went to Hopcar's site to buy my new charger but they didn't carry the Sterling/ProMar charger I wanted based on CFer recommendations. I'll shop him for new seacocks at next haulout. I won a Mantus deck key ... a nice strong piece of kit. I'll be shopping with them too. I bought the Waterway Guide as well.

We get that ads pay the freight but the ones between the posts are tough to endure. As commercials and poor content have ruined TV for all with an IQ over 90, so it is with internet.

On edit: The TV industry can live with the ever-growing numbers of sports/sitcom-watching folks but I suspect a site like CF, where even the low budget roosters and chics have brains if not money, the mileage may differ.
Old 27-03-2014, 06:40   #54

Boat: Cal 2-30

re: the ads in the middle of posts - just following the Facebook model.
Old 27-03-2014, 06:41   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Frog View Post
Well, Adblock Pro for chrome, with custom filters, solved the problem for good. Too bad for owners - before, I actually did look at ads, did ckick, and even made business with one of advertisers on CF. Not anymore though - no more ads, no more clicks, no reveniues and no more business for advertisers from me. Thanks to someone's greed and shortsightedness.
This is EXACTLY what happens.... Can't stand the bombardment, we fix it with blockers... Ad revenue goes DOWN... I have clicked on ads as well... I can't if I don't see them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
So I hope you and Andy will be monitoring the impact of this change Saucy. As anyone in marketing and public discourse can tell you, for every full-blown complaint one receives, there are usually many times more folks simply stewing silently, and perhaps voting with their clicks or their installation of ad blockers. If revenues to CF and the vendors increase, then all good (for CF and vendors ... not for people like me). If the opposite happens, I assume CF will respond. It's free market capitalism after all.

All this does make me pine for the early days of the Internet (and before the Net) when commercial activities were simply not allowed. We had these kinds of discussions via public spaces like Usenet, Freenets and some BBSs. But like public spaces everywhere, commercial interests continually colonize and eventually kill off the commons, converting public goods into a private revenue streams.

Like all things in life, privatization is a double-edge sword. There are positive aspects (vBulletin which powers CF, can do so much more than Usenet forums), but there are downsides as well. Being subjected to unsought advertising is one of those downsides.
Perfect Mike.... + Lots

PS: I started a new thread everybody... A suggestion box type to make CF better... 1st post is just a redacted copy of saucy and my reply suggestions... Shoulda made it shorter I think to get the ball rolling... oooooops...

I Want to help improve CF - The CF Suggestion Box Thread - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

Old 27-03-2014, 06:50   #56

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate re: Ads reach a record high - MERGED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
... PS: I started a new thread everybody... A suggestion box type to make CF better... 1st post is just a redacted copy of saucy and my reply suggestions... Shoulda made it shorter I think to get the ball rolling... oooooops...

I Want to help improve CF - The CF Suggestion Box Thread - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
HAHAHAHAHAHA. Let's all hurry cause I see an quick lock on this door.
Old 27-03-2014, 06:53   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
All true for me too. I went to Hopcar's site to buy my new charger but they didn't carry the Sterling/ProMar charger I wanted based on CFer recommendations. I'll shop him for new seacocks at next haulout. I won a Mantus deck key ... a nice strong piece of kit. I'll be shopping with them too. I bought the Waterway Guide as well.
+Bazzillion Crabster...

Note to every other vendor, sponsor, new ad placer.... If you post once in a while... with help.. suggestions... even a little hidden marketing like... Maybe you could do like Hopcar... post some help WITH NOTHING YOU'RE SELLING once in a while... Hmm..

"Why yes Blue Crab! Our widgit does that... But it ALSO has this great feature! "

We will buy our stuff from you... even if it might be slightly more... And we will recommend you... and keep on buying...

Old 27-03-2014, 06:55   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
HAHAHAHAHAHA. Let's all hurry cause I see an quick lock on this door.
OK... I haven't been on long yet today... BUT.... I am positive this wins the "made me laugh the hardest" post!

Old 27-03-2014, 06:58   #59

Boat: Various

As a lifelong business person I see this very differently. One builds a web site as a business with the intent of making money. Simple. Many of the wonderful blogs you visit are more than just sharing, they're extra income for the owners. Information over the internet doesn't come free. Now, I'm happy for the site and hope the owner makes lots of money from the ads so the site can continue to flourish. For those of you who say "Well, I don't use the ads or I don't read them" I just reply that many do. If they didn't, the advertisers wouldn't continue and you wouldn't have this site. I always hated the ad sections in Sunday newspapers and back in olden days when we got a paper the first thing I did was throw them away. But obviously others didn't share that feeling as many buy the paper just for the inserts.

Television, Internet. It's all paid for by ads and subscriptions. Now on this site you have two choices, either or. I like that. I don't like when it's both like some of the newspapers have done. I'm fine with the ads on an online newspaper but choose not to pay to subscribe as well. And I must note that the subscription model is failing.

I guess I don't understand protesting a web site owner's means of making money as long as it doesn't include compromising my privacy. There isn't anything I'm forced to click. Just ignore.

And you complain about the comment of the google ads, then really better reconsider since they are based on your browsing history.
Old 27-03-2014, 07:15   #60

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I guess I don't understand protesting a web site owner's means of making money as long as it doesn't include compromising my privacy.

And you complain about the comment of the google ads, then really better reconsider since they are based on your browsing history.
These two sentences are in conflict with each other.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Closed Thread

Tags
record