Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2016, 00:41   #2491

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by adoxograph View Post
Nope. Drought is a long term climate related phenomenon.
Are you channeling Tim Flannery?
StuM is offline   Reply
Old 28-07-2016, 00:51   #2492

Boat: Landlocked right now.
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Are you channeling Tim Flannery?
Tim who?
Old 28-07-2016, 01:04   #2493

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by adoxograph View Post
Tim who?
Yeah, right!
StuM is offline   Reply
Old 28-07-2016, 15:55   #2494

Greenland lost a staggering 1 trillion tons of ice in just four years | Washington Post
SailOar is offline   Reply
Old 28-07-2016, 16:00   #2495

Consequences of Climate Change: Arctic Migratory Birds To Lose Breeding Habitat by 2070 | Nature World News
Old 28-07-2016, 16:07   #2496

This new Antarctica study is bad news for climate change doubters | Washington Post
Old 28-07-2016, 16:11   #2497

Climate models are accurately predicting ocean and global warming | The Guardian
Old 28-07-2016, 18:20   #2498

‘Climate Hustle’ Clips - Climate Hustle
fryewe is offline   Reply
Old 28-07-2016, 18:54   #2499

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

EUREKA!

I've just figured this whole global warming thing out. From the article above...

Quote:
According to the measurements, the Earth has gained 0.46 Watts per square meter between 1970 and 2005. Since, 1992 the rate is higher (0.75 Watts per square meter) and therefore shows an acceleration of the warming. To put this in perspective, this is the equivalent of 5,400,000,000,000 (or 5,400 billion) 60-watt light bulbs running continuously day and night. In my view, these numbers are the most accurate measurements of the rate at which the Earth is warming.
This light bulb thing led to a light bulb moment. 5.4 billion bulbs is only about 5 for every 7 people on the planet, even before advertising displays, storefronts and other fancy displays are considered, this is a reasonably conservative number. Furthermore, the invention of the lightbulb and volume of usage must just about correspond perfectly with global warming temperature increases.

Now, the hiatus, expanding Antarctic sea ice and other signs of a warming slowdown can be correlated with one very important development; The introduction of the energy saving light bulb. Ever since those darn things have been introduced, global warming has slowed.

Technology is saving us!

Ooops, wrong thread.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply
Old 28-07-2016, 18:57   #2500
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Posting links to articles is fine but I for one would like it if people would put some effort into it and either put a quick synopsis of the article or at least your personal opinions on the high points of said articles.
If there is just a link I'm not likely to read the article. If you don't take time to actually type something why should I take time to read what I doubt the poster has even read beyont the Google snapshot on the search page.
Old 28-07-2016, 18:57   #2501

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
EUREKA!

[snip] The introduction of the energy saving light bulb. Ever since those darn things have been introduced, global warming has slowed.

Technology is saving us!

Ooops, wrong thread.
Heh...I like it...
fryewe is offline   Reply
Old 28-07-2016, 19:20   #2502
cruiser

Boat: 53' Hatteras Cruising Yacht

IMHO...Prepare more for an American civil war versus an cold cruising strategy.

I am serious...owning a large cruiser with lot's of storage space will be a cash cow.

People are totally unprepared for something like what's heading our way. Europe will crash first then the US. Fresh water will be king when it comes to trading with the savages. The survivors living underground will eventually run out of food and water. When they come out their holes they will have nowhere to go.

Owning a cruiser...pull up anchor and sail away.

You heard it here first...laugh if you want too... The second half of the civil war is about to start and I want a good seat...cheers:
SouthernPride is offline   Reply
Old 28-07-2016, 20:32   #2503

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Oh-oh! He's back with his links to alarmist newspaper articles with no commentary
StuM is offline   Reply
Old 30-07-2016, 17:08   #2504

Boat: Landlocked right now.

I think this thread is coming to an end...
Old 30-07-2016, 17:12   #2505
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

End.....na, it will fire up just like old times again once El Trumpo wins the Presidential Election.

Remember MMGW is a Political movement, and it is at it's hysterical best when an Evil Republican that wants to destroy the planet is in the White House.

[[I will give myself an A on this one.....]]
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
arc, cooling, cruising