Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Training, Licensing & Certification
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2016, 13:17   #76

Boat: Leopard 40
Re: What is a Normal Tip for an Instructor at a Sailing Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
Whoa!.....OURS would be at least a half a boat buck for the two of us!.:face palm:

Any idea if that includes an occasional neck rub or foot massage?
Haha. I'll ask. It does include me feeding the instructor for three days though.
eweb101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2016, 11:48   #77

As a followup to my previous post...

I took the 104 class last week; the one where they were asking for $300-400 in tips. From the moment we arrived at the school it was obvious that we would pass the class. He even told us that if we missed too many questions on the written test, he would go over the ones we missed with us and let us change our answers. The instructor made it very clear that this was a vacation and that we wouldn't have to do anything but relax. It was a little annoying since we weren't really looking for a vacation, but maybe that's how 104 courses usually go. I have no way of knowing.

If I took the course again (which of course I wouldn't do) I would look for a school where the instructor isn't working for tips. It wasn't terrible, but the "tip-hustle" didn't really work for us, and the conflict of interest was really obvious.

And to those of you who've read this far, I did end up leaving him a tip although, not nearly as much as they asked for.
Old 29-08-2016, 12:27   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweb101 View Post
As a followup to my previous post...

I took the 104 class last week; the one where they were asking for $300-400 in tips. From the moment we arrived at the school it was obvious that we would pass the class. He even told us that if we missed too many questions on the written test, he would go over the ones we missed with us and let us change our answers. The instructor made it very clear that this was a vacation and that we wouldn't have to do anything but relax. It was a little annoying since we weren't really looking for a vacation, but maybe that's how 104 courses usually go. I have no way of knowing.

If I took the course again (which of course I wouldn't do) I would look for a school where the instructor isn't working for tips. It wasn't terrible, but the "tip-hustle" didn't really work for us, and the conflict of interest was really obvious.

And to those of you who've read this far, I did end up leaving him a tip although, not nearly as much as they asked for.
Thanks for the post. It's a bit late for us....as we've already paid for our courses and leave for the BVIs in a month.

Once we got the POST payment answer guide that outlined what is customary to tip EACH sailing instructor, we were a bit shocked. What is customary is a boatload of money...esp for a couple.

I'm wondering if the "customary" amounts are REALLY customary.
Old 29-08-2016, 16:44   #79
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What is a Normal Tip for an Instructor at a Sailing Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
Thanks for the post. It's a bit late for us....as we've already paid for our courses and leave for the BVIs in a month.

Once we got the POST payment answer guide that outlined what is customary to tip EACH sailing instructor, we were a bit shocked. What is customary is a boatload of money...esp for a couple.

I'm wondering if the "customary" amounts are REALLY customary.
That's what us Brits call.. "Seriously taking the Piss..!!"
You'll be tipping your kids teachers each end of term at this rate..
I'd do the course and on leaving hand them an envelope.. inside would be..
"Don't back number 7 in the 3.30"

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2016, 16:48   #80
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
What is a Normal Tip for an Instructor at a Sailing Course

How long have all these classes been in existence?
I'm new to sailing, but I think these things have become primarily a money making thing from what I can tell. The Scuba industry went that way not too many years ago with classes for everything.
I'm just going to take a wild guess that not too many years ago people went to sea without six or eight different classes
Boatie, how many of these classes have you taken?

On edit, I am sure the instructors probably live off of these tips

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2016, 17:13   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I'm new to sailing, but I think these things have become primarily a money making thing from what I can tell. The Scuba industry went that way not too many years ago with classes for everything.
I'm just going to take a wild guess that not too many years ago people went to sea without six or eight different classes

Our goal was to take the class in order to convince a charter company to rent us a boat for a week. We had heard having the 104 certification is enough for a lot of charter companies to feel comfortable letting you take out a boat.

In that sense it was a success as we were able to book a boat in the San Juan islands two weeks from now. We told them our only qualifications were some lake sailing and ASA 104 and they were good with it.
Old 29-08-2016, 17:16   #82
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What is a Normal Tip for an Instructor at a Sailing Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post

Learnt my seamanship and basic boathandling in the Navy in the 60's... then in the 80's I took a combined RYA theory and practical International Helmsmans Certificate exam on my own boat.
Single handed sailing all points, anchoring/mooring under sail and motor, in fact just about everything the examiner could think of.. while at the same time answering questions on nav marks, lights etc..
Todays equivalent is the Coastal Skipper and qualifies me for boats up to 24metres power and sail.
Also took a Boat Masters course in 2002.. that's a commercial ticket which permitted me to skipper vessels carrying up to 220 passengers.. 5 day course including advanced first aid.
That has since expired as you sit it every 5 years.
No tip required.. or asked for.. we have workers.. not beggars in the UK.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2016, 17:58   #83

Boat: Rafiki 37

Have come across this discussion before. The tipping economy is rampant and growing in North America (I can't speak about other places). It's main purpose is to transfer the cost of an employee directly onto the customer, instead of having the business owner pay the full cost. It started in low level service jobs, but is rapidly expanding. Soon we'll be expected to tip our surgeon or lawyer.

I would do my best to avoid a school with a "customary tip" expectation. If I was handed this "expectation" after locking in, I'd try to say no.

When I tool my various CYA (Canadian equivalent courses) there was no expectation of a tip. I probably bought the instructor a couple of beers at the end, but no tip.

I just asked my spouse who did her course in the Caribbean (out of St. Martin). No tip, and no expectation of one. This is a relatively recent phenomena that should not be encouraged.

Why go fast, when you can go slow
Old 29-08-2016, 18:51   #84

Boat: 1975 Morgan OI 41 Ketch

I just yesterday passed an ASA 103/104 combo here in Houston. No tip was expected or requested. Same with the 101 a couple of weeks ago.

The cost these schools charge on top of the ASA cert fee is, imo, tip enough.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
shotglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2016, 14:21   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
That's what us Brits call.. "Seriously taking the Piss..!!"
You'll be tipping your kids teachers each end of term at this rate..
I'd do the course and on leaving hand them an envelope.. inside would be..
"Don't back number 7 in the 3.30"
Funny Boatie...and I agree with you. Tipping in general has gotten way out of hand and in some parts of the world has become a real issue....esp when people from a tipping culture ruin things for others in a non tipping culture....

As a Yank....been guilty. When in doubt leave a tip. Nowadays, seems more and more are EXPECTING tips than ever before....even had a shop owner ask me to tip the guy who just put on my new car tires. Where does it stop? We just left a nice tip for our water rafting guide....customary. Now our dingy instructor and live aboard sailing instructors are expecting LARGE tips in the many hundreds of dollars even though the employer states that "our instructors are highly compensated".

I don't know....IN the states we always tip the wait staff and other service industry employees. For non service industry workers, I do like giving a little extra when not expected to acknowledge an extra good job. Makes them happy and spreads some good will.

Now, it's come down to a tip IS expected for NON service workers and it better be in the "customary amount". Whoa be to the cheapskate that doesn't cough up the equivalent of a months cruising expenses so the instructor can live large.

While I'm sure our instructors will be great guys or gals, we will indeed be tipping them as is customary.....just doesn't feel as good as if it weren't expected.
Old 03-09-2016, 15:27   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweb101 View Post
I took the 104 class last week; the one where they were asking for $300-400 in tips. From the moment we arrived at the school it was obvious that we would pass the class. He even told us that if we missed too many questions on the written test, he would go over the ones we missed with us and let us change our answers. The instructor made it very clear that this was a vacation and that we wouldn't have to do anything but relax. It was a little annoying since we weren't really looking for a vacation, but maybe that's how 104 courses usually go.
Sorry to hear about that. While sailing instruction should be fun, the emphasis should definitely be on actual learning and self-improvement, not goofing around and receiving an essentially meaningless piece of paper.

A pampered student (involuntarily, in most cases) does not translate into a competent and confident sailor. People want to be challenged and have the opportunity to fail while in the presence of an instructor who can actually teach them.
Svanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 17:43   #87

Boat: Mako 28

We went to BWSS for the 7 day class 101, 103, 104, 114 in February class was good. Wife and I decide to take Captain and class mates out to a really nice dinner on our last night there and we had brought the Captain a nice cutting board and had everyone sign it. We have other friends that went to different sailing classes and there was no mention of tipping the Instructor. But next day as we get ready to leave the boat our captain comes up and ask all of us where was his tip and that he expected 15 to 20% of the cost of the school. Wife and I had almost $6000 in classes. I told him he was f-ing crazy he want 1k in a Tip I handed him $260 and we will be looking for a new school for our next vacation.
Cockeye429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 19:03   #88

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
I told him he was f-ing crazy he want 1k in a Tip
I think you were overly polite! And I also think the idea of expecting any tip is a lousy way to do business. Tipping has become ridiculous IMO. ONe of the reasons I like Oz... tipping is rare and not expected nor demanded.

Likely now we will hear how these poor folks ain't paid a living wage and will starve their wives and children if we don't tip. Wonder where the 6 grand went?

Jim
Old 10-03-2017, 11:37   #89

Boat: bavaria, 49 ft. sailboat

Went to water sailing">blue water sailing school two years ago in St. Thomas, terrible experience. Loony instructor. Other couple never planned on tipping, didn't believe in it for an instructor. I had budgeted for it, but the instructor was so horrible (I learned everything from the other couple) and so bi-polar or drunk (never sure which) we ended up not tipping either. She then hunted us down in a nearby restaurant after the course, asking for her tip. I advised we were not pleased with the course. She went on and on and I finally just let it go right in the restaurant, covering all the crazy things she had done, and I wasn't quiet. Felt after her relentlessness, she was asking for it. Would never be trapped with an unknown instructor on a boat for a week again. Don't tip if service is not exceptional.
In Training is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2017, 04:00   #90

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbird View Post
Tip for a live aboard sailing course is 10% of the cost of the course per person. Our experience was amazing and life changing...the tip was well earned. Ever been on a cruise ship? Try telling them about not tipping!
We're getting ready to take a week catamaran live aboard class in Florida that is supposed to cover ASA 101/103/104/114. It's for my wife who is just learning, but I'm taking it with her to support, encourage and brush up. Total cost? $5k. Recommended tip? 20%. Their FAQ: "As always, a gratuity is entirely at your discretion. However, it is standard practice in the industry to pay a gratuity to your instructor. A typical tip would range between 15% - 20% of your course fee."
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing