Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Propellers & Drive Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2012, 14:09   #16

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Losing Prop on Volvo Penta MD2030 Saildrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieter View Post
Hi BelizeSailor,

Thanks again for yr comments and the link (solution) you mentioned. I will look into that...
Best rgds
Pieter Kommerij
SV Onda Boa
You're welcome. Hope it helps. The solution on the link looks like a very clean solution. I have a friend who is a Moorings base manager and will ask him if he has implemented it.

If you use it please post how it works out for you.

Fair Winds! (important with no prop! )
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 14:52   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Catamaran, FP 40 ft

Thanks Cotemar, As it happens i use a two blade fixed prop and not folding props.
As mentioned above: i will get with the Volvo guys and see what they have to say... Any news, i will surely post here..

Best rgds
Pieter Kommerij
SV Onda Boa
Pieter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 15:29   #18

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

I lost a few props on my Yanmar SD20 sail drives. The solution was a castle nut and cotter pin (or safety wire) from Seahawk Props.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:03   #19

Boat: CS 36t

Since I didn't see it already asked, were you applying the correct tightening torque? Bolts that are undertorqued are much more likely to back off. The best way to do this is with a torque wrench. A properly torque bolt clamping a hard material (unfortunately bronze isn't as hard as would be good) will almost never back off. The other way for the bolt to back off is if the prop wasn't fully seated initially and it moves a bit, the preload on it will go down similar to if it is not properly torqued. Also, a bolt that is loose will be subject to fatigue.
klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:20   #20

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by klem View Post
Since I didn't see it already asked, were you applying the correct tightening torque? Bolts that are undertorqued are much more likely to back off. The best way to do this is with a torque wrench. A properly torque bolt clamping a hard material (unfortunately bronze isn't as hard as would be good) will almost never back off. The other way for the bolt to back off is if the prop wasn't fully seated initially and it moves a bit, the preload on it will go down similar to if it is not properly torqued. Also, a bolt that is loose will be subject to fatigue.
Yes, this could certainly lead to fittings loosening up, but don't over tighten of course. The procedure I follow:

1. Coat prop shaft and inside of prop hub and cone with appropriate marine grease.
2. Firmly seat the prop.
3. Put cone in place and tighten. There is a hole bored horizontally through the hub which you can insert a small bar to tension properly -- I use a large phillips head screw driver.
4. Lube the hub bolt and tighten. I don't usually use a torque wrench but certainly a good idea.

I've removed the props on my boat several times over 10 years to service the shaft seals. To date, I have never lost a prop or found one to be loose (I usually give them a quick check a few times a season), but now you guys have me a little paranoid !
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
md2030, penta, saildrive, volvo