Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Propellers & Drive Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2019, 09:19   #1

Boat: Lagoon 440
Sheared Engine Mounts - Saildrive okay???

My Yanmar 4JH engine broke its engine mounts causing the SD50 saildrive to let in water through the lower and upper diaphragm. The core of the saildrive has moved a quarter inch sideways from its proper position.

Amazingly the drive works normally. Now hauled out awaiting repair. I know the drive is "soft mounted" to the engine but is the saildrive likely to be ruined?

Anyone with experience of this?
Rezzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 00:11   #2

Re: Sheared Engine Mounts - Saildrive okay???

Theoretically the saildrive should be Ok unless it somehow actually caused the engine mounts to break either by vibration or by striking a submerged object. The saildrive is hard mounted to the engine but its input shaft is connected via a vibration damper plate.
This is one occasion where the diaphragms should both be replaced regardless of age.
skipperpete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 06:57   #3

Boat: X442

I would suggest that the engine/saildrive combination is OK but the rear support needs to be checked carefully. I have the same set up (4JH3E/SD40) and naturally am interested to hear why you think those mounts failed. Any thoughts on this?
HeinSdL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 05:50   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

You sheared, as in the bolts broken cross section, four motor mounts? Given that the motor mounts are soft mounted, what did you hit, a breakwater at speed?

Look very carefully for cracks in the saildrive housing. Dye testing is cheap and helps. The drive could be working, but soon to fail.
Old 02-02-2020, 06:01   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Rezzy, for you and anyone else who has taken a mighty whap on the machinery, here is a cheap red dye penetrant for finding hidden cracks. I became familiar with the stuff through doing annual inspections on my airplane.

https://www.amazon.com/CANTESCO-Visi...G4VEQXTGS2MMBF

I hope you find that all that energy went into breaking your engine mounts, which are cheap to replace, and not into cracks in the sail drive, engine bracket, or internal parts.

Tags
engine, sail, saildrive