Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: watermaker
PUR 35 5 10.00%
PUR 40 10 20.00%
Waterlog 200 0 0%
Other 36 72.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2006, 06:53   #16

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Hi Talbot,
We sourced a pur80 ex Westmarine (actually from them via ebay) for same dollar prices as we were quoted in pounds UK. Even with taxes and freight it was perhaps 65% of UK price.
Went in easily - nicely packaged in a hard case - and has worked fine all last summer producing 12 litres per hour when required. Westmarine put them up asking for bids. We found they accept just under $2,000 - and thier 'cruising pack' of added filters / bio / agents etc is worth ordering at same time.
JOHN
Old 07-10-2006, 01:32   #17

Boat: Privilege 37
Started this thread a long time ago when I first started to look at watermakers. The poll is a bit stupid in retrospect, but has helped to get information.
Old 20-12-2007, 18:09   #18

Location: On Board - Currently - Heading back to SF Bay from Mexico.
Boat: Valiant 50 - Raptor Dance
Send a message via Skype™ to RaptorDance
I wasn't able to dig out my SSCA equipment survey...

If anyone has one handy they might comment.

Two of the most popular watermaker makers we've seen out cruising are Spectra and Village Marine.

Most of the PURs I've seen are the little hand operated units in ditch bags.

Spectra appears the most popular. They're very energy efficient and most folks who have them like them. Also, there are a lot of Spectra roving service reps out here.

Spectra offers a class in at their home office in San Rafael, California (just North of San Francisco) to become a roving service rep and many cruisers have taken the class. This also allows you to buy parts at a discount.

We have a Village Marine 400 gallon per day modular unit and like it. Ours runs off 115VAC so energy efficiency isn't as important. We make water while running the genset to recharge the batteries, cool down the fridge, refill the SCUBA tanks, etc. 1 to 2 hours a day meets our needs.

We like that the Village Marine High Pressure pump is titanium and pretty bullet proof. The Clark pump on the Spectra doesn't seem quite as robust to us, but lots of folks are happy with it.

Village Marine also makes 12V water makers, but they're not as energy efficient as the Spectra.

I think either manufacturer would be a good candidate for you.

Regards,
Bill
SV Raptor Dance - Valiant 50 #107
Bill Finkelstein & Mary Mack
https://raptordance.com
RaptorDance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2007, 22:06   #19

Boat: Dix 43 CC, steel, 43 ft
Send a message via Skype™ to Stranded Mariner
I just made the choice for the Village Marine lwm-200 on 24 VDC for my new boat (a Dix 43 CC in steel). I like the simple setup, which seems easy to maintain. Also the response from the people at Village Marine when I placed my inquiry was fast and informative.
Old 04-01-2008, 17:44   #20

Boat: Brewer 44, 44 LOA - "Lady Hawk"
We just installed a Spectra Catalina 300. Suggest you read Nigel Caldwells explanation of the two main differences in watermakers. It helps understand the low amp usage brands and their technology versus the traditional lower cost units. Basically, Spectra reuses most of its brine water where others type throws out 90% of sea water taken in. The Clark pump has a life time guarantee and the price includes all the plumbing and wiring needed for a normal installation. This can really add up if added to base prices. It is quiet operation and the end of cycle backflush cleans the filters meaning no chemicals are introduced as long as you do this every five days or so.
Lady Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2008, 19:35   #21

Boat: Cross 38 Trimaran
The svquintessence water maker site doesn't work any more. Does any one have any idea what happened to it? I liked the simplicity of his system. Plus all the sources were available for parts
Red Horse
Red Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2008, 19:53   #22

Boat: Leopard 45, 45 feet, Jet Stream
Send a message via Skype™ to Tim Schaaf
On my previous boat, Casual Water, I used a Recovery Engineering (later Pur, now Katadyne) 35. It took frequent rebuilding, but rebuilding was extremely simple. I depended on it for about 10 years, then upgraded to the 40. This worked very well, much less maintenance, but I had some installation glitches until I changed the installation angle so that the membrane was above the pump. No one, nor the manual, suggested this, but it was pretty obvious that this would let the air work its way through the system. Great factory support

On my present boat, Jet Stream, which we run as a charter boat, we get excellent water from a Spectra Catalina, that we have upgraded to a 400 gpd model. It is, however, much more complicated than the PUR, and has more different "failure" modes. Something major happens every year, but the factory has been more than excellent in its support, so it always turns out OK. As a charterboat, we put way more hours on it than most would, which the factory says is OK, but I wonder. In any case, it is a highly efficient maker of excellent water, and I would recommend it.

I would also recommend the PUR 40 for those with smaller needs, space, and budget.

I have also supervised a 40,000 GPD land based model in one of my previous jobs. Stuff on that size uses Cat pumps, is very reliable, but much less efficient.

I think the most important thing is for people to get to know whatever system they have, as well as possible, and not think of it as a no (or even low) maintenance item...but it is worth having for sure.
Tim Schaaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2008, 21:04   #23

Boat: Schioning 12.3 "Wilderness" Bi-Rig under construction
Send a message via Skype™ to Whimsical
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Horse View Post
The svquintessence water maker site doesn't work any more. Does any one have any idea what happened to it? I liked the simplicity of his system. Plus all the sources were available for parts
Red Horse
I think it has gone commercial.
Lucky I saved the whole thing before it happened.

Mike
Whimsical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2008, 23:23   #24

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
These guys give valid reasoning NOT to have a watermaker.

I agree, but then i'll have about 500liters on board and rain catching facilities as well.

The Great Watermaker Debate

Water Management Aboard

Dave
Old 23-02-2008, 05:56   #25
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Dave, it depend upon your lifestyle, budget and even where you are sailing. Finding decent drinking water in the Bahamas is incredibly difficult - and collecting rainwater can be an 'iffy' proposition at various times of the year. This is particularly true on some of the 'desert' islands off the coast of Venezuela and elsewhere on this planet.

It is also incredibly nice to be able to have regular fresh-water rinses for yourself and for the boat. Is it essential for safe and enjoyable cruising? No. Is it expensive? Yes. Is their apt to be maintenance required, especially if they are not used on a regular basis? Yes. Actually, this sounds almost like the old arguments against the need for an auxilliary engine on a long-distance cruisiing boat.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2008, 06:10   #26

Boat: Leopard 45, 45 feet, Jet Stream
Send a message via Skype™ to Tim Schaaf
Actually, I said it was WORTH having, not the reverse, but it is up to the individual and where they cruise; In the Caribbean, if you buy water it costs anywhere from 15 to 45 cents per gallon, and sometimes a lot more. Rain water is reliable, for part of the year, but is often laden with Sahara dust or volcanic dust. Yes, it can be filtered. In the Sea of Cortez, rain water is very rare, and city water is often hard to come by, unless you are in a marina, and it is hard to transport in any case. And, by the way, having a plentiful supply of fresh water allows you to rinse off yourself, the boat, and equipment on a regular basis. Not only does this add comfort, but pays off big time in extended life and reduced maintenance for lots of other gear. I have often said that the watermaker is as much for the boat as the people.

Reverse Osmosis water also has the benefits of known health and quality, which is why much of the world depends on it, and most bottled water is made or purified by the reverse osmosis procedure. One day the US will follow the rest of the world and realize that drinking water is not necessarily something that is almost free and just falls from the sky. And then, perhaps huge areas will not be paralyzed by drought, just because it did not rain!

Modern watermakers are incredibly efficient. The Pur unit gives you about 35 gallons a day (real world) for the energy consumed by a 50 watt light bulb. Spectra is even more efficient, requiring about half the energy. Cost this out, the whole thing including initial purchase and maintenance, and you are still way ahead of the game with a watermaker. Yes, you will do some maintenance. NO, it will not be that daunting for even the technically challenged. Remember, there used to be the caveat regarding cruising that you should understand how to fix most, if not everything, that is aboard. And, in a jam, there ARE cruisers out there that are trained in the repair of either PUR or Spectra units and the factories are unbelievably helpful.

There are many pieces of gear that we carry aboard despite the fact that they need maintenance...in fact, all of 'em. Engines, sails, rigging, steering systems, stoves, dinghies, electrical systems, all pumps (including foot and manual) is just a start to the list. We are obliged to choose whatever bits of gear we want with that in mind, after considering the benefits of each.

When I first went cruising in 1991 (in the Sea of Cortez) I decided that I did not want to submit to two tyrannies....spending huge amounts of time and energy lugging around water in jerry jugs, or running engines or generators for hours per day, heating up the boat in the process, to generate electricity. I outfitted my boat to be completely solar powered (including refrigeration and watermaker), installed a watermaker, and spent those hours sailing and exploring, instead. It made ALL the difference. I would retrospectively give both of those installations a resounding thumbs up, and in the real world of cruising, have lots and lots of company. In fact, some of us occasionally give water to those unfortunates who have found their rain catchers dry, their tanks empty, and their bodies sore from toting.

Of course, it is up to each of us which side of that equation to be on!
Tim Schaaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2008, 09:38   #27

Boat: cirro-stratus trimaran 33
I agree with Cat man do . Reasonable size tanks and manage your water consumption. I cruised around S.E.Asia for a few years and managed just fine, I think the several thousand dollars it costs to buy a water maker is much better spent on your cruising budget.
luski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2008, 17:34   #28

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Fair enough. I suppose I am lucky that planned cruising areas (Asia/Pacific) have no shortage of rain.

I've had my fair share in Rockhampton and surrounds recently.

This is the river where I am based at the moment.

Before and after shots and the second time in a month that it has flooded

At least it'll give the system a good flush.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 034 (Large).jpg
Views:	223
Size:	157.4 KB
ID:	2779   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0110 (Large).JPG
Views:	215
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	2780  

Old 23-02-2008, 18:56   #29

Boat: Radford 450 45' Vamoose
Hello All
What size generators are you folks using to power your watermaker. I have a Sea Recovery unit that is rated a 20 gal hour but with our smaller generator it can only produce apox 5 gal hour and if we run other equipment while the watermaker is running the watermaker will turn off. We need a new gen set but don't want to cut our selfs short nor do we want over kill.
Thanks
minisailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2008, 19:51   #30

Boat: Brewer 44, 44 LOA - "Lady Hawk"
WaterMaker Amp Source

Minisailor
We have a 6kw Westerbeke Generator; two 85 watt solar panels and one AirX wind gen. Out Watermaker is 12V and rated for 12.5 gal per hour. With full battery we can hit that rate; however, we will need to run the generator soon to catch up the batteries as we also have a freezer & frig that we like to be around 0 or -5 degrees so we just run the gen while making water. Some times we take the boat out to the reefs running the motor and make water with the alternator power keeping the batteries up. The 12volt systems give you more options on use and replinishment of power. Long term we want to add more solar.
Lady Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote