Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2017, 14:30   #1

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Harken ESP 2 Furler Experience?

Planned to rebuild my old ProFurl unit, but the machine shop damaged it and eliminated that option. So...furler shopping. The Harken ESP 2 certainly has an appealing price. Anyone have experience w this unit?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 15:01   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Harken ESP 2 Furler Experience?

I bought one about 2-3 years ago for the Solent stay. Also have a ProFurl in front of that, so we have both to compare. The Harken seems more lightweight and maybe not so durable in the long run. The little plastic insulators in the extrusions look a little cheezy, not sure about that though. The groove in the extrusion is a little bigger so that is better. I like 7/16" fuzzy line for a furler and it won't fit on this drum so you use the slick 5/16" that comes with it. It comes with everything execpt a lower toggle. If I bought another I would look at something that cost little more.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 15:52   #3

Boat: Seafarer36c

What did they do to your unit? Did they press in the bearing crooked and ruin the hole? I'm pretty sure you could get that fixed for less than a new furler. Bore it out and put a sleeve in maybe? Unless they cracked the titanium body, it should be repairable.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 16:31   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
What did they do to your unit? Did they press in the bearing crooked and ruin the hole? I'm pretty sure you could get that fixed for less than a new furler. Bore it out and put a sleeve in maybe? Unless they cracked the titanium body, it should be repairable.
They damaged the swivel trying to press the bearings back into it (a bit tricky). Swivel body is now distorted. ProFurl wants $1K for a swivel! Life lesson: never go to a machine shop with an important job at lunch time. [emoji22]

The unit is 16 y.o. so rather than drop another grand in rebuilding it, Id feel more comfortable going with new.
Old 19-09-2017, 16:34   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
I bought one about 2-3 years ago for the Solent stay. Also have a ProFurl in front of that, so we have both to compare. The Harken seems more lightweight and maybe not so durable in the long run. The little plastic insulators in the extrusions look a little cheezy, not sure about that though. The groove in the extrusion is a little bigger so that is better. I like 7/16" fuzzy line for a furler and it won't fit on this drum so you use the slick 5/16" that comes with it. It comes with everything execpt a lower toggle. If I bought another I would look at something that cost little more.
Yeah, the price is appealing, but may be a reason for that...Im trying to avoid dropping $4K on a new furler.
Old 19-09-2017, 17:09   #6

Boat: Cape Dory 31

I installed a Harken ESP unit myself a year ago. I have a cutter with a staysail and I went from a hanked on staysail to roller furling. I was meticulous with the installation so it took a about five hours. It has performed flawlessly all season which includes a singlehanded passage to Bermuda and a singlehanded passage back to New England. I consider it a robust and trustworthy unit. I plan to replace my headsail furling unit, a 33year old Hood Seafurl with an ESP unit in the spring.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 17:18   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
I installed a Harken ESP unit myself a year ago. I have a cutter with a staysail and I went from a hanked on staysail to roller furling. I was meticulous with the installation so it took a about five hours. It has performed flawlessly all season which includes a singlehanded passage to Bermuda and a singlehanded passage back to New England. I consider it a robust and trustworthy unit. I plan to replace my headsail furling unit, a 33year old Hood Seafurl with an ESP unit in the spring.
Thats good news.
Old 19-09-2017, 18:53   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

What model profurl you need a swivel for
Old 19-09-2017, 21:35   #9

A B35S.