Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2024, 08:13   #1

12mm Anchor Chain - corrosion too much

Hopefully, once I post this there is an accompanying photo, otherwise the next question is pointless...

Do you think this section of 12mm chain is dangerously corroded, or do I still have time?

Not sure how the Admiral will take a request for a 100M of new! The thought alone makes be go pale.

Papawads
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20240421_172315.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	414.1 KB
ID:	289105  
Papawads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2024, 10:27   #2

Boat: Tartan T4400
Re: 12mm Anchor Chain - corrosion too much

I would not trust it for anchoring.
Old 21-04-2024, 12:59   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

New anchor chain is in your immediate future.

You are probably 5 years overdue.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2024, 15:35   #4

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

If you gravity drop your chain, I’d be surprised if you haven’t received complaints from any neighboring boats regarding your rust on their decks…

It is definitely time…

Cheers, Bill
Old 21-04-2024, 16:40   #5

Boat: Hunter Cherubini 33

Maybe a bit off topic but when chain starts to rust like this is there maintenance that can be done to save it? ie.... sanding or maybe a dip? I planned on buying new anchor chain but that on another list of to do's.... mine is no where near this bad but there is some visual spots where rust is starting to show.
ekelly36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2024, 18:19   #6

Boat: Newport 30, Sirius 21

Is it all that bad, or only near the end?

If it's all, or mostly that bad, don't use it.

Paint can give you a few more years on a rusty chain, but pay attention to how much wear there is where the links rub on each other. I you look there, and wonder if it's strong enough, it's not strong enough.
gulfislandfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2024, 19:38   #7

Boat: Island Packet 40

The first thing to do is clean off the corrosion products so you can make a proper assessment of the metal loss.
Old 21-04-2024, 23:02   #8

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekelly36 View Post
Maybe a bit off topic but when chain starts to rust like this is there maintenance that can be done to save it? ie.... sanding or maybe a dip? I planned on buying new anchor chain but that on another list of to do's.... mine is no where near this bad but there is some visual spots where rust is starting to show.
Take it for regalvinising - they will sand blast or ceramic bead spin it to clean steel, then hot dip in a zinc bath, then tumble it to get a nice as new chain.

If you’ve got a higher grade chain let them know and they should use a lower temperature bath. If they don’t know about that, use a different regalviniser.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2024, 23:11   #9

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papawads View Post
Hopefully, once I post this there is an accompanying photo, otherwise the next question is pointless...

Do you think this section of 12mm chain is dangerously corroded, or do I still have time?

Not sure how the Admiral will take a request for a 100M of new! The thought alone makes be go pale.

Papawads
Wow, is your whole chain like that? It looks like you’ve got enough metal loss to really weaken your chain. Have you measured a link to see what diameter it now is? If it’s less than 1/2” stop using it immediately!

If it’s just a section of chain, cut it off and sell it as scrap and deal with a shorter chain. If it’s most of your chain, yup, buy new chain. The scrap value of the old chain will offset at least some of the cost.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2024, 14:27   #10

Boat: Wellcraft portofino 43’

Are you anchoring in water or acid?
David Mathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2024, 14:34   #11

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

I would not be surprised if it slips in the gypsy, leaving rust particles all over the deck and forming hockles in the chain locker.
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2024, 14:45   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

i think scrap metal don't accept your chain because company buy only scrap metal,not rust.
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2024, 18:05   #13

This is way, way past rescuing by regalvanizing. There is significant metal loss. This is what happens when routine maintenance is ignored.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2024, 22:29   #14

Thanks the many kinds words, some contradictory, but all well-meaning. We're erring on the side of caution and replacing the chain, as some sections had lost 1/8th of their 10mm thickness.

The cause? It's our first boat. We didn't even realise the far end of the chain was sitting in 1-2 inches of water permanently until the first time we used all 100M (300ft) of chain.

We raised the locker floor with plastic grid matt, but it still meant a very damp locker with much water in the base.

So before the new chain goes in, I'm raising the whole base to drain/dry fully and reducing from 100M to 75M with another 50M of nylon rode stored elsewhere for the 2-3 times a year we might need it. The reduced length is to keep a good drop.

Will install a corse plastic gauze too, to act as a preventor for drain clogging.

Finally, as I've see others do, will put the chian on a pallet on the ground when the boat is on the hard.

Any other suggestions welcome. If I need to replace this chain again in the next 5 years, the Admiral will poisen my Subday dinner.

Thanks
Papawads
Papawads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2024, 07:11   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

The chain locker is a common source of problems that many new sailors don't know about. Despite having plastic grids keeping my chain off the bottom of my large chain locker, several times a year I still had to take out all the chain, remove the muck from the bottom, and wash everything down.

I have no idea how superyachts can do this when their chains cannot be accessed from the top of the vessel and are drawn in the sides.
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, corrosion