Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2018, 21:24   #16

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Can you identify this windlass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by US1Fountain View Post
2 of the pictures are of the windlass
So that 3 bolt pattern holds the gypsy on and is a view from above? Sure is a strange beast.
Old 11-01-2018, 22:06   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
So that 3 bolt pattern holds the gypsy on and is a view from above? Sure is a strange beast.
Yes, the 2 pictures are taken from above, looking straight down on top of it.

I agree, its a real stumper. I have the Maxwell motor, large control box mounted by the motor, dash mounted remote switch, and the good size circuit breaker box in the bilge by the batteries, all with Maxwell logos. But nothing that hints to the model. Im not discounting the thought that the motor is mated to a non Maxwell windlass.
US1Fountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 22:39   #18

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
2 of the pictures are of the windlass
I am not being snarky, but there is nothing I can identify as the working part of of a windlass, such as a gypsy or wildcat. I guess old age has its disadvantages, even if coupled with experience. Sorry.
Old 11-01-2018, 23:23   #19

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
I agree, its a real stumper. I have the Maxwell motor, large control box mounted by the motor, dash mounted remote switch, and the good size circuit breaker box in the bilge by the batteries, all with Maxwell logos. But nothing that hints to the model. Im not discounting the thought that the motor is mated to a non Maxwell windlass.
A question or two while we wait for the VetusMaxwell expert:

1. is this a power boat or a sail boat? Where was it built?

The low profile models of Maxwell from the 1990s were the Freedom windlasses. Many of them were fitted to power boats that used cordage rodes rather than sail boats that might use both chain and cordage. And not a few were installed 'inside' an anchor well, meaning under a flap that could be lowered so the deck was free of toe stubbing projections.

This is not a Maxwell Freedom. And that adds weight to the idea that a boat builder or an owner might have used a Maxwell Cima motor either at boat construction or to replace some other motor.

2. Could you use a mirror to examine the upper surface, the surface closest to the overhead, of the gearbox near where the Maxwell motor mates with the gearbox? That was a favoured place for stamping serial numbers, part numbers, brand names etc.

3. Does the underside of the gearbox have any lettering or numbers? I can almost imagine that I see something there in you photo, but I'm not sure.
Old 12-01-2018, 04:57   #20

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
I am not being snarky, but there is nothing I can identify as the working part of of a windlass, such as a gypsy or wildcat. I guess old age has its disadvantages, even if coupled with experience. Sorry.

First two photos, zoom in and look to the upper left....chain is entering re wildcat.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 05:26   #21

The boat is a 1993 34’ Baja 340 Motoryacht. It is your typical inland cruiser. Think Searay, Rinker, etc

I will try to use a mirror to look for the serial number on top of the gearbox. I see that is the location it’s cast at from all the manuals I have searched thru. The boat has a control box mounted in the chain locker, a dash remote switch, and a large circuit breaker box located in the bildge by the battery. All with Maxwell tags. The battery cables where ran during boat construction. Not a add on. Or at least this boat was prewired for a windlass. So at 1 time it did have a Maxwell windlass unless Baja used Maxwell parts for the prewire. Now whether the deck unit itself has been replaced by the current unit, utilizing all the existing Maxwell parts, I don’t know. It has crossed my mind that the Maxwell motor was installed on this unit, but why? A search of other same boats of this model and yr have not been productive. Some have no windlass or a different model.

The chain end that is barely visible, is just a general rubber coated 6’ long chain attached to the rope and does not enter the windlass. The anchor rope was retrieved until the chain link bottomed against the windlass. I have not verified if the gypsy is a rope only or a rope/chain gypsy. I’ve only had the boat for 3 weeks before I hauled it home for a winter cleaning project and never left the dock. I just powered the windlass up/ down a foot to verify it worked.

I believe since it is an unusual (not the more common) looking unit is why a few have asked for a top view of the deck unit, when in fact the pics are of the top overhead view.
Old 12-01-2018, 06:07   #22

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post
3. Does the underside of the gearbox have any lettering or numbers? I can almost imagine that I see something there in you photo, but I'm not sure.
Could just be a part number moulded into the gearbox casing. But it looks more stamped than moulded into the cast. Can you clean and check?
Old 12-01-2018, 10:57   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNMARDALL View Post
Please send your information and photographs to Will Vrooman , windlass guru at VetusMaxwell (wvrooman@vetus.com), and he will be able to tell you what you've got.

all the best
John Mardall
Vetus Maxwell Group

I emailed and received a response within minutes. He confirmed it is a
Maxwell R800, rope only unit. This model was made for just a few yrs, then replaced with the RC lineup. He has no digital manuals, thus the unsuccessful search on the Maxwell obsolete line.

Tags
wind, windlass