Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2016, 00:47   #1

Proper windlass and its position

Hi!

Time to mount a windlass on foredeck of Norlin 37 feet, 8 tons. No previous experience of this procedure.

Talked to Lewmar etc, they state I should buy this model:
http://www.lewmar.com/node/12059

Make a hull-through, and have a rigid PVC or stainless pipe down to a box at least 0,7 m in height (ok to mount box straight under deck but probably not feasible). Hallberg Rassy have this solution I was told.

However, some people say it's ok to mount the windlass on deck including the engine (other model) and have the chain in the stern locker. This sounds like a less good solution, but much more practical as we have limitied storage space inside the boat and I don't have to build a box, fit a chain tube etc. (I realise I have to enhance the current one on deck though, but perhaps a little less manual labour involved).

Please advice!

Cheers
Bob666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 02:35   #2

Boat: Victoire 1122
Re: Proper windlass and its position

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob666 View Post
Hi!

Time to mount a windlass on foredeck of Norlin 37 feet, 8 tons. No previous experience of this procedure.
Did the same recently

I had the advantage there was already a manual windlass in place. What the boatbuilder did was insert a stainless piece of pipe placed vertical behind the piece of wood you see right behind the motor-transmission. it sits under a small angle to the vertical with the top end behind the anchor-locker and the lower end inside the (deep) anchor locker.
So the windlass motor sits nice and dry in the forward cabin and the chain is led into the anchor locker using gravity.

Hope that helps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AboveDeck2.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	120458   Click image for larger version

Name:	UnderDeck.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	120459  

Click image for larger version

Name:	PiekMetLier.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	120460  
aluijten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 04:55   #3

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

IMO, the best way to do things, is to mount the windlass slighly aft of the chain locker bulkhead, & then have the chain doing a 180 around the windlass, & dropping though a hawse (that's seperate from the windlass) into the chain locker.

That way, the windlass, especially it's motor & the wiring leading to it, aren't subject to any moisture or dampness. The other perk to such a setup, is that you pull some of the weight of your anchoring gear further aft. Which always helps (getting weight out of the bow that is).

See my posts in this thread for a bit more in the way of descriptions of how to build such a setup http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2023658

Also, as mentiond in the above thread, I'd suggest going with a Maxwell Vertical windlass, with a built in capstan. Regarding which, I posted a couple of links in the other thread.
And with the Maxwell Verticals, you can run two rodes, independent of one another, assuming that one of them is primarily rope.
That, & their reliaibility rating, spanning many decades, globally, is very good. Where as Lewmar on the other hand... And don't even get me started on trying to get customer service from them; UGH!

And you don't need all of the complexities which are present in this sketch, but it gives you perhaps a better image, of how to set things up. The pic's not mine, & me, I'd pass on all of the crazy drainage plumbing. Instead, just going with a chain locker which is self draining, if at all possible.
BTW, if you do some digging, you can find some images & video of how folks like the Dashews set up their chain lockers, much, much further aft than is common. Like say, 3m+ back from the bow.

The bottom line being, that you want to avoid putting your windlass in a wet, & sometimes submerged, compartment. So, the further aft you mount it, the better.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 09:35   #4

Boat: Freedom 45

we have a windlass locker and we need a horizontal windlass
seaman-lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 09:36   #5

Boat: Freedom 45

we have a windlass locker so we need to get a 3/8" horizontal windlass.
any ideas
seaman-lew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rope, wind, windlass