Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2009, 01:55   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Rusty Spade

The Mediterranean is an excellent place to observe anchors. (Does anyone want to hire an anchor consultant ) There are lots of people anchoring close and the water is clear allowing easy observation of how anchors set. The other advantage is when hauled out (as many boats are for winter) most lower their anchor and chain allowing easy inspection of the condition and type of anchor.
I have already published the mysterious case of the very rusty Manson supreme. I have also noticed some of the Spade anchors have premature corrosion around the underside of the joint where the shank slots into the fluke.
I am currently trying to replace my electronics due to a lightning strike, so I have not had much time to wander around the boat yard, but the yacht only a few feet from me has a Spade anchor and I have included a photo to illustrate the problem.In this case it has reached the stage where it the rusting looks like it has effected the strength of the shank / fluke join and I would not want to rely on it.
The rest of the anchor was in reasonable condition with only slight surface rusting around the underside edges.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spade rusty.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	7616  
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 00:26   #2
Marine Service Provider

I'd say that isn't any issue with the manufacture just a case of poor boatmanship. By that I mean the anchor has probably been sitting in a puddle, maybe in the locker, or has had the bottom wet for a lot longer than would normally be expected. I say that as yuou mention the rest of the anchor is still pretty good.

Whatever happened it hasn't happened quickly and should have been seen and the issue dealt with a long time ago. Hence the boatmanship comment. That is scaly rust and scaly rust takes quite a while to happen. That is assuming the galvanising was fine and I've no reason to think Spades galvanising is any worse or better than anyone else's. Even if the galvanising was worn off, which can happen inside 2 months if in some bottom types, that amount and type of rust took a while to get that way.

Seeing anchor with rust like that isn't uncommon. It's very common on secondaries keep in anchor locker and not used for a year or 3. I'd all most be confident in saying that has been at least 18 months probably more in the making. I'm 100% sure it should have been picked up sooner and dealt with by at least a hard wire brushing and some cold galv.

One rule with anchors - the more you use them the less they will rust. Includes anchor chain as well.

Seamanship is handling your boat and boatmanship is looking after it.

[edit] damn pushed the wrong button again, sorry.
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote