Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2017, 18:15   #46

Boat: Custom Freya 20m
Stainless Steel Shackles on Anchors?

There is often the difficulty of finding a galvanised shackle to fit the chain and yet matches the WLL of the chain. No doubt end links fix this but I have never had a chain with end links.

Which is probably why most/many fall back on 316 shackles. I am sure that a branded shackle like Wichard must be the best choice if doing this but may not be available in your local chandlery. And sometimes the brand is unknown as I found in my local small town chandlery so one cannot be sure of quality.

Having experienced S/S failure which nearly cost me an expensive anchor (and could easily have cost me the boat) I now use a Dyneema strop to back up the shackle.

So I have a suitably large galv shackle for the anchor (not usually a problem to fit) with the best quality S/S shackle connecting to the chain and a Dyneema strop about 1 meter long between the galv shackle and the chain (spliced at both ends). The strop does not seem to catch on the stem hardware.

Anyone else tried this?
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 21:39   #47
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal 2-46'
Re: Stainless Steel Shackles on Anchors?

Originally Posted by Training Wheels View Post
Darn, I was hoping for an easy answer, not a homework assignment! [emoji41]
Training Wheels,

I think there is a solution for your shackle question. Could you please PM me & I'll point you in the right direction.

BigBeakie...
Thats not fair, If you have a solution or concern we should all hear.
ce
Old 10-06-2017, 01:47   #48

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillbuilding View Post
Having experienced S/S failure which nearly cost me an expensive anchor (and could easily have cost me the boat) I now use a Dyneema strop to back up the shackle.

So I have a suitably large galv shackle for the anchor (not usually a problem to fit) with the best quality S/S shackle connecting to the chain and a Dyneema strop about 1 meter long between the galv shackle and the chain (spliced at both ends). The strop does not seem to catch on the stem hardware.

Anyone else tried this?
I can understand the thinking. Redundant systems of essential items are a good idea for a cruising boat. However, the drawback is this is a reasonably bulky system, especially the combination of two shackles and a Dyneema strop. Modern anchors bury the end of the shank where the chain is attached very early in the setting process. Any bulk of the chain connection will impede the anchor's ability to bury.

Whether conections like you propose make any practical difference is hard to gauge. There has been some experimentation on using wire strops instead of chain and this has suggested that reducing the bulk around the shank end of the anchor has a measurable effect on the setting depth of the anchor.

Overall, for anchor connection I would suggest a single, quality, name brand galvanised shackle. It should have a published SWL. Even if this exceeds the chain SWL it is worth paying slightly more for one of the higher strength versions. The Crosby alloy shackle like the 209A or the Titan black pin shackles are popular versions of this type of shackle. Usually this will comfortably exceed the strength of the chain, but there can be problems with G7 chain.

Cheap "no name" stainless shackles are frequently used, but I don't think these are a good choice. The quality control is not great and failures like those shown in post #41 are rare, but do occur. A name brand stainless shackle with a published SWL is OK. The Wichard HR series of stainless shackles are stronger than 316 versions, even stronger than Wichard's titanium shackles. The type of stainless used in these HR shackles is, as I understand, more prone to both crevice and chlorine stress corrosion though. Wichard indicate they are not suitable for continuous immersion, whatever that means. Overall, I think they are still fine as an anchor shackle, but the galvanised high strength shackles are preferable.
Old 10-06-2017, 23:00   #49

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
I can understand the thinking. Redundant systems of essential items are a good idea for a cruising boat. However, the drawback is this is a reasonably bulky system, especially the combination of two shackles and a Dyneema strop. Modern anchors bury the end of the shank where the chain is attached very early in the setting process. Any bulk of the chain connection will impede the anchor's ability to bury.

------------------------------------------------
I am not sure that this is always correct from your photos.

If you look at the hundreds of images (and 184pages) on your ‘Photos of Anchors Setting’ thread none, or very few, of the images, when you say are ‘a well set anchor’, show the chain buried. This is contradictory to your comment.

Are you suggesting the Mantus is not a modern anchor as it does not bury the chain early on in the piece. I don’t think so.

You also go on to say - any bulk in the chain will impede an anchor’s ability to bury. Such as the Mantus or any other swivel?

To me some of the photos in the referenced thread suggest that often roll bars on some anchors can impact the diving ability of an anchor.

I am somewhat confused? Please set me straight.

I imagine the bottom conditions in the med are part of the issue.

Cheers
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 23:59   #50

I have not watched the anchor setting in place. Since using the strop, the 100 lb CQR has been well and truly stuck and difficult to retrieve on two occasions - once in rock and once in Coral, dragged once in mud/Coral and functioned well on numerous other occasions. The strop unmarked so that was not caught on the rocks and Coral.

Very happy to only have to worry about losing a CQR rather than a more expensive anchor.[emoji38][emoji38]

I do carry other anchors for use as indicated.
Old 11-06-2017, 00:04   #51
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
I am not sure that this is always correct from your photos.

If you look at the hundreds of images (and 184pages) on your ‘Photos of Anchors Setting’ thread none, or very few, of the images, when you say are ‘a well set anchor’, show the chain buried. This is contradictory to your comment.

Are you suggesting the Mantus is not a modern anchor as it does not bury the chain early on in the piece. I don’t think so.

You also go on to say - any bulk in the chain will impede an anchor’s ability to bury. Such as the Mantus or any other swivel?

To me some of the photos in the referenced thread suggest that often roll bars on some anchors can impact the diving ability of an anchor.

I am somewhat confused? Please set me straight.

I imagine the bottom conditions in the med are part of the issue.

Cheers
I must say I have to agree with Downunder. Particularly with roll bars impeding the burying
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 00:27   #52
Marine Service Provider

stillb,
I'm not sure if your experiences are good or bad?
Noelex,
So no shackles/ swivels or anything of bulk would be better?
I am going to test some shank lube tomorrow.
ce
Old 11-06-2017, 00:34   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundtackle View Post
stillb,
I'm not sure if your experiences are good or bad?
Noelex,
So no shackles/ swivels or anything of bulk would be better?
I am going to test some shank lube tomorrow.
ce

Dunno if they are good or bad - just usual I would think. More a comment on the anchorages than the anchor.

I see no evidence that the Dyneema strop caused any issues.
Old 11-06-2017, 00:38   #54

I would unequivocally advise against anchoring on the North side of South Percy Is, but when talking to others at later stage they thought it was best of bad choices.
Old 11-06-2017, 00:46   #55
Marine Service Provider

stillb, cordage for rode will be the norm. One day.
ce
Old 11-06-2017, 01:29   #56

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
I would unequivocally advise against anchoring on the North side of South Percy Is, but when talking to others at later stage they thought it was best of bad choices.
Curious as to why this vehement opinion? Only anchored there a couple of times, not under storm conditions, but found it OK.

Jim
Old 11-06-2017, 02:14   #57

Jim, anchored there in a couple of days of 30+ knots S. and too tired for a further run North.

There is a shallow shelf that one needs to stay out from and that means one catches the wind gusts.

More unpleasant is that the tide sets strongly between the islands with something like overfalls. Constantly had the chain scraping against the hull and being a rocky bottom was reluctant to let out too much snubber.

More to the point is that the bottom is very rocky and as soon as I dropped the CQR I knew we were in trouble cos it was grabbed like a vice. Bad memories I guess.

If I were in the same conditions I would choose that little Sandy bay on the NW of South Percy or keep on to West Bay of Middle Percy.

As an aside, when we were there a customs launch anchored a 100 m further out into the passage and departed without bother the next morning. Would have had a rough night though.

And by the bye, that customs launched arrived late at night with one name and MMSI and departed with another name and different MMSI. [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]
Old 11-06-2017, 02:27   #58

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Jim, anchored there in a couple of days of 30+ knots S. and too tired for a further run North.

There is a shallow shelf that one needs to stay out from and that means one catches the wind gusts.

More unpleasant is that the tide sets strongly between the islands with something like overfalls. Constantly had the chain scraping against the hull and being a rocky bottom was reluctant to let out too much snubber.

More to the point is that the bottom is very rocky and as soon as I dropped the CQR I knew we were in trouble cos it was grabbed like a vice. Bad memories I guess.

If I were in the same conditions I would choose that little Sandy bay on the NW of South Percy or keep on to West Bay of Middle Percy.

As an aside, when we were there a customs launch anchored a 100 m further out into the passage and departed without bother the next morning. Would have had a rough night though.
It was some years ago when we were in that anchorage, but at least one time we did anchor in the bay at the NE end, behind Chevy shoal and Chase Point. It was in S-SE conditions and IIRC, not so bad. have more recently used the bay on the north side of NE Percy, and it was pretty good. Not fond of West bay, usually crowded and beset by SE swell if it is running... but a great beach, and it was interesting when Andrew was still there.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 11-06-2017, 03:11   #59

There you go Jim - my first pic of the crappy anchorage and the second of a very quiet little sandy cove that I would try next time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2635.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	291.9 KB
ID:	149721

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2637.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	284.2 KB
ID:	149722
Old 11-06-2017, 04:26   #60

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

I absolutely, & utterly DO NOT understand this mindset that Spectra is seemingly invincible, & is fully viable for connecting an anchor to chain. Never have, never will. Not since my 3rd post here on CF 3yrs ago.
The reason. There's not a knife I own, including the tiny 1.8" Buck minibuck on my keychain, that has any trouble cutting 1/2" Spectra in one stroke. Cleanly. So no, I do not trust 10mm, 20,000lb BS cordage to secure steel to steel (anchor to chain) at the ocean floor. How can others? It does pretty much defeat the purpose of having a chain leader, or "all chain" rode.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, steel