Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 28-11-2016, 18:39   #301

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'
Re: Videos of Anchors Setting

Thanks Evan, for that REAL WORLD testimonial.

Glad you found the video's to be useful.

Steve
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 13:30   #302

Boat: Shannon 38 Ketch

Panope, I just wanted to tip my hat to you. We are upgrading our boat to head to the Bahamas and Caribbean in 2018. We were looking for information on a particular anchor and came across your videos, after hearing an opinion on another blog why they wouldn't be recommending a particular anchor anymore. What we saw had us change our mind from what we originally thought would be our best choice, to the anchor we have just purchased instead. The Sarca Excel. We had no idea what went on underneath our boat with any certainty until after watching your videos. Thanks for all the hard work making these videos. There sure are a hell of a lot of them!
Large Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 23:17   #303

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Large Luke View Post
Panope, I just wanted to tip my hat to you. We are upgrading our boat to head to the Bahamas and Caribbean in 2018. We were looking for information on a particular anchor and came across your videos, after hearing an opinion on another blog why they wouldn't be recommending a particular anchor anymore. What we saw had us change our mind from what we originally thought would be our best choice, to the anchor we have just purchased instead. The Sarca Excel. We had no idea what went on underneath our boat with any certainty until after watching your videos. Thanks for all the hard work making these videos. There sure are a hell of a lot of them!

Do let us know haw your new anchor performs.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2017, 12:57   #304
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
Since starting my anchor testing one year ago, I have received numerous requests to test various anchors, with the DELTA anchor generating the most requests.

Cruisers Forum member Cotemar offered up this 20 Kg / 44 lb. example in new, unused condition. It arrived by package delivery today. Thank you Cotemar.

As Panope is high and dry for at least the winter and much of spring, we will have to wait for a proper test under my normal protocol. That said, I might do some preliminary testing with a smaller boat sometime soon.

Steve
Really looking forward to this one, many many experts told me that my anchor (Excel) looked like a bit like a delta so it would behave like one and that in the experts opinion the delta was pretty ordinary, that wasn't my experience but in spite of me and others having experience with with both Deltas and Excels and the experts having no experience with Excels, there was strident and quite ignorant dismissal my mine (and others) experience, so really looking forward to how the delta really compares with the other anchors you have tested
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2017, 17:10   #305

Factor,

I do not have the "history" that you do with these two anchors. However, I share your interest in the upcoming comparisons. I will say categorically, that I have no idea how the Delta will perform.

My work on Panope is coming along fine. As you may have seen in my construction thread, the ballast/bilge work is completed and the interior carpentry is progressing nicely. I have high expectations to launch by May 1st.

Steve

Old 11-04-2017, 20:02   #306

This long, dreary winter is almost over and my refit project is nearing completion. Those that have been following my work saw that I created vast storage space under the new cabin sole. It easily swallows my disassemblable anchors. The Fortress even fits intact:

Aluminum Excel #5, 44 pound Spade, Fortress FX-16

The highly anticipated test of the Delta anchor is only a 3 weeks away (my launch date is May 4th). I find it interesting that the small 'anchor tip guard' that I fabricated long ago for my Manson Supreme, works perfectly for the Delta and every other anchor that I have tested, regardless of size.

Old 15-05-2017, 06:49   #307

Old 15-05-2017, 07:32   #308
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal 2-46'

Once again..Thanks for all your effort and showing the EXCEL under the same conditions.
Boat looks great.
ce
Old 15-05-2017, 08:04   #309
Marine Service Provider

Great work! Always interesting and on point.
Spade Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 08:38   #310

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

I'd like to add my thanks to this thread.

After using our tried and true "Genuine Bruce" anchor for many years, from Nova Scotia to Trinidad to Ireland, and lots of places in between, we sold our boat.

We kept the Bruce (wishful thinking), but it's too small for the new boat, so we decided to get a "new generation" anchor.

After weighing the pros and cons of each brand of anchor, we decided on a Spade, but had not yet made the purchase.

After watching your videos, we had more confidence in making our purchase, and bought the Spade anchor.

Thanks for your efforts in this area. You've done a wonderful job.

Cheers.
Paul.
GRIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2017, 20:19   #311

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Here's a quick Video of an 80lb Manson Boss setting. My parents have had it now for 6 months or so, and they are very happy with it. Without the roll bar it fits under the bowsprit nicely. And it seems to cope with whatever they throw at it wind wise.

I have another longer Manson Boss video that I still need to edit at some stage.

I used a trip line with a couple of wraps of duct tape to hold the gopro onto the anchor. to release it I jumped into the dinghy and pulled the trip line untill the tape broke. Very simple and it worked well for me.

Old 23-05-2017, 23:14   #312

Great footage, Ben. Thanks for posting.

Your tape connection is much better than the knot or toggle that I was planing on using. I can imagine becoming accustomed to filming unfamiliar anchorages for piece of mind.

If only anchors came with a built-in camera and a "live" feed to the cockpit.....

Steve
Old 01-06-2017, 00:45   #313

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Here is another video of the 80lb Manson Boss. This one is in a slightly harder bottom. A few years ago we had difficulty getting a smaller rollbar anchor to hold here, so I was very curious as to what the substrate looked like.

Anyway the Boss set and righted itself perfectly. There was another boat nearby, so scope was a bit shorter, probably only 3 to1 or so.

https://youtu.be/tDmgz4AMfus
Old 01-06-2017, 16:30   #314

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Yes great footage

Looks like you are very happy with the Manson Boss.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 17:14   #315

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Wow, Great videos Panope & Snowpetrel.

They really do tell the story for sure. Thanks for sharing.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor