Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2018, 19:43   #106

Re: iNavX charts disappeared (Navionics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddan1943 View Post
Good for the offline, bad for glitches that make the charts disappear.

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 21:01   #107

Boat: Rafiki 37

My latest “glitch” has specific charts failing to load, or to function, when I “load all” (or whatever the command is). I am specifically aware of some areas of the Great Lakes, and out the St. Lawrence, where this happens. I can only assume there are other areas which suffer from this glitch, but I don’t know for sure … and that causes me concern.

I’ve not yet heard that this glitch has been fixed, and I’m tired of spending many hours, over many days, utilizing major bandwidth (that I pay for) working with Fugawi support trying to solve it. I’m not sure if this makes me a grumpy old guy. I just want a tool that lives up to its claims.
Old 19-04-2018, 22:38   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
My latest “glitch” has specific charts failing to load, or to function, when I “load all” (or whatever the command is). I am specifically aware of some areas of the Great Lakes, and out the St. Lawrence, where this happens. I can only assume there are other areas which suffer from this glitch, but I don’t know for sure … and that causes me concern.

I’ve not yet heard that this glitch has been fixed, and I’m tired of spending many hours, over many days, utilizing major bandwidth (that I pay for) working with Fugawi support trying to solve it. I’m not sure if this makes me a grumpy old guy. I just want a tool that lives up to its claims.
The glitch fix I am referring to is mentioned in post 80 in an email from Andre....

Old 20-04-2018, 03:25   #109

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Mike and Islandhopper

Are you guys both using Navionics?

Maybe that’s why you have is issue and I don’t?

All my charts are raster. Well I do have the vector set for SA but I don’t use it for navigation.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2018, 03:39   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
That glitch has been attended to. It no longer exists. The apps distributer is here to explain things.
Seems there's a few "glitches" here, mine (disappearing charts) appears to have been fixed though...

See post 80

Old 20-04-2018, 03:42   #111

Quote:
Mike and Islandhopper

All my charts are raster. Well I do have the vector set for SA but I don’t use it for navigation.
Mine are Navionics but as stated in post 80 my problem is now fixed, everything is working as it should

Old 20-04-2018, 07:25   #112

Boat: 2010 Lagoon 421

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post
It doesn't! you only need a connection to download the app and or charts, it's designed to work offline....

This thread is about a glitch that caused the charts to disappear when your subscription expired, this has supposedly been fixed and mine (iPad) is functioning as it's supposed to with NO connection to any network/internet/whatever, the only outside connection is the satellite feed for the GPS, the same as any plotter/MFD/Handheld....
Sorry if I drifted the thread, but it is obliquely related, I believe. It is about disappearing maps, but not subscriptions per se. Thread drift is what normal conversations do.

Can you confirm that you have used the app over different areas with Explorer Charts, and then "come back" to previously detailed areas that then were still accessible IN THEIR DETAILED VERSION?

What I am whinging about is not immediately apparent, and if you only remain in one area, or even have internet access when you open the app in a new area, you will not see this issue I am having.

The second issue is that it will not work if there is a non-internet wifi connection to the device. So, I cannot use the AIS function of my Vesper while also using iNavX. If I switch to the AIS function, I have to reload the app after switching off the non-internet wifi.

Soo, for example, I forget to raise the anchor on the Vesper app. I load iNavX and depart when the Vesper alarm starts squeeling. I cannot turn the alarm off using the app, because I had to turn the wifi off to get iNavX running. Now, I have to start the wifi, fix the alarm. Stop the wifi. Reload iNavx.

Another f'rex: I see a vessel but cannot use the iNavX-running iPad to get the info I might need.

You are indeed correct that it works like a plotter, if you dedicate the device to only the one function. This means you need a second iPad or device as well. You can't even restart the device without the first issue I refer to.
BigNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2018, 07:34   #113

Quote:
Mike and Islandhopper

Yes, Navionics charts here. This could be the problem since I’ve always been directed to Fugawi for my fixes, but I really have no idea where the issues are.

The general “disappearing charts” problem does appear to be fixed on my iPad as well, but I’ve seen this issue creep back before when I thought it was fixed. I certainly hope it is this time.

I had another issue where I purchased the Waterway Guide add-on (though Apple), but it didn’t show up in my app. After more time with Fugawi I got this one solved as well, but again, more support time spent, more of my data used.

My current main issue of specific charts not loading when using the “Load All” option has not been addressed here, nor with iNavx or Fugawi directly. I have no idea if this has been fixed, and I’m unwilling to test it b/c failure will mean another long session of painstakingly re-loading all the individual charts, one at a time.

I’m not here trying to slam iNavx, or Fugawi, or Navionics. I’ve been a very happy iNavx user for many years, and have advised many people to use it. But this was before this trickle of problems started ~1.5 years ago.
Old 20-04-2018, 09:35   #114

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

It does sound like Navionics/iNavex integration issue.

I’ve not always been able to use “load all”. Sometimes I have to select individual charts from the selection list.

With Explorer there is no election list. Downloading charts is a PITA.

With NV navigation UP or ZOOM OUT is a PITA.

So there are idiocyncroncies to various chart formats. CHS and NOAA seem to me to be optimized.

It if you think about what iNavex is trying to do, provide a universal portal to chart formats, it’s a really daunting task. Especially if each of the suppliers is making changes and not fully disclosing these changes to iNavex.

No that may not be much consolation to someone in a particular cruising area.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2018, 10:34   #115
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Miura 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Yes, Navionics charts here. This could be the problem since I’ve always been directed to Fugawi for my fixes, but I really have no idea where the issues are.

The general “disappearing charts” problem does appear to be fixed on my iPad as well, but I’ve seen this issue creep back before when I thought it was fixed. I certainly hope it is this time.

I had another issue where I purchased the Waterway Guide add-on (though Apple), but it didn’t show up in my app. After more time with Fugawi I got this one solved as well, but again, more support time spent, more of my data used.

My current main issue of specific charts not loading when using the “Load All” option has not been addressed here, nor with iNavx or Fugawi directly. I have no idea if this has been fixed, and I’m unwilling to test it b/c failure will mean another long session of painstakingly re-loading all the individual charts, one at a time.

I’m not here trying to slam iNavx, or Fugawi, or Navionics. I’ve been a very happy iNavx user for many years, and have advised many people to use it. But this was before this trickle of problems started ~1.5 years ago.

Mike, I think I have found out the reason for the "disappearing charts". When I first purchased iNavX a number of years ago, I purchased three sets of charts. A time later I had a problem with my iPad and it was reset and all my apps reloaded from the backup made via the iTunes software on my PC. But no charts appeared. I contacted iNavX and they told me the charts were stored in a section of the iPad that cannot be backed-up. They opened the link to the charts and told me to re-download as per normal, which worked and I had my charts back.

Then Apple brought out a new firmware version that had a bug in it and which locked up my iPad. I contacted Apple support and they said I needed to start from scratch with a clean system. So, we went through the whole process of wiping the iPad memory and loading the latest firmware and then all the apps. At the time I told the help desk dude that I had most likely lost all my charts again and he said that it could not be as once bought, it is yours for life and gets backed up. Well, the charts had gone and the Apple dude told me he would call me back as what iNavX was doing by not having the charts backed up on a PC was against the Apple policy.

I think this was when iNavX changed the app to retrieve the charts from somewhere on the system that was now a backup area in the iPad. So, after we with the older software all tried to open a chart, the iNavX app looked for the new location and did not find the charts. This was when we all started shouting for help and had to get our subscription reset to be able to load the charts again. This time, I beleave, they are now backed up when you do a backup and sync on your PC or laptop. However, I could be wrong as I have not tested doing so!

Your individual chart downloads, I have not experienced, so cannot think of any reason for the system doing this other than too little memory. Just a thumb-suck! Hope my waffling above makes sense. John.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2018, 13:31   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNut View Post
Sorry if I drifted the thread, but it is obliquely related, I believe. It is about disappearing maps, but not subscriptions per se. Thread drift is what normal conversations do.

Don't know what your apologising for my reply was to
Olddan1943's post, op's first post refers to disappearing charts AND the fact his subscription had expired, which was the same for me, so quoted as such

Can you confirm that you have used the app over different areas with Explorer Charts, and then "come back" to previously detailed areas that then were still accessible IN THEIR DETAILED VERSION?

Yes i have used the app on both sides of the continent and all seems to be functioning as required, no i don't use Explorer Charts only Navionics

What I am whinging about is not immediately apparent, and if you only remain in one area, or even have internet access when you open the app in a new area, you will not see this issue I am having.

My iPad is only 1 of a few back-ups i have and has 3 Nav apps on it, in order of preference they are iSailor, iNavX and Plan2Nav, it's default mode is basically not connected to the internet at all, i only connect it to the internet to check for updates, once thats done it's disconnected, i don't have anything else on it.

The second issue is that it will not work if there is a non-internet wifi connection to the device. So, I cannot use the AIS function of my Vesper while also using iNavX. If I switch to the AIS function, I have to reload the app after switching off the non-internet wifi.

I don't have AIS on my iPad, i could but i just have not needed to as i have a stand alone Icom MA-500TR Class B that also feeds an MFD

Soo, for example, I forget to raise the anchor on the Vesper app. I load iNavX and depart when the Vesper alarm starts squeeling. I cannot turn the alarm off using the app, because I had to turn the wifi off to get iNavX running. Now, I have to start the wifi, fix the alarm. Stop the wifi. Reload iNavx.

Again can't help as i do not have or need that function, i much prefer KISS

Another f'rex: I see a vessel but cannot use the iNavX-running iPad to get the info I might need.

As above

You are indeed correct that it works like a plotter, if you dedicate the device to only the one function. This means you need a second iPad or device as well. You can't even restart the device without the first issue I refer to.

Not for me, i only have and want the one iPad, the rest of my equipment is proper marine electronics that is interfaced but can also function in standalone mode
hpeer seems to be running the Explorer charts and seems to be trying to help you, have you been in direct contact with iNavX? thats the way i went....

Old 20-04-2018, 13:40   #117

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116

Yup, it is ALL my fault when I commented on the need for stand alone.... (I was corrected) Then I commented on not being able to rely on a program that has a history of charts disappearing.
And then I had the audacity by saying, better to rely on the chip in the chart reader, have current paper charts and another hand held GPS.
Shame on my for suggesting an alternative. Shame shame shame. LOL
Old 20-04-2018, 16:27   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Mike, I think I have found out the reason for the "disappearing charts". When I first purchased iNavX a number of years ago, I purchased three sets of charts. A time later I had a problem with my iPad and it was reset and all my apps reloaded from the backup made via the iTunes software on my PC. But no charts appeared. I contacted iNavX and they told me the charts were stored in a section of the iPad that cannot be backed-up. They opened the link to the charts and told me to re-download as per normal, which worked and I had my charts back.

Then Apple brought out a new firmware version that had a bug in it and which locked up my iPad. I contacted Apple support and they said I needed to start from scratch with a clean system. So, we went through the whole process of wiping the iPad memory and loading the latest firmware and then all the apps. At the time I told the help desk dude that I had most likely lost all my charts again and he said that it could not be as once bought, it is yours for life and gets backed up. Well, the charts had gone and the Apple dude told me he would call me back as what iNavX was doing by not having the charts backed up on a PC was against the Apple policy.

I think this was when iNavX changed the app to retrieve the charts from somewhere on the system that was now a backup area in the iPad. So, after we with the older software all tried to open a chart, the iNavX app looked for the new location and did not find the charts. This was when we all started shouting for help and had to get our subscription reset to be able to load the charts again. This time, I beleave, they are now backed up when you do a backup and sync on your PC or laptop. However, I could be wrong as I have not tested doing so!

Your individual chart downloads, I have not experienced, so cannot think of any reason for the system doing this other than too little memory. Just a thumb-suck! Hope my waffling above makes sense. John.
Thanks John, this all makes sense. I do believe (hope) the disappearing chart problem is fixed. So far, so good. I believe my current issue of specific charts being inaccessible with the “load all” option may be a far less wide-spread issue. But given which charts disappear, I do wonder if most people simply wouldn’t notice it, or more accurately, few people would be affected.
Old 24-04-2018, 09:00   #119

Hi All - there is a lot to unpack here so I am going to do my best to answer direct questions while staying away from the commentary:

- the disappearing charts issue is fixed. It was fixed 9-months ago, there have been no reports of disappearing chart since, and with the redundancy's we have now built there should not be any issues going forward

- iNavX is built to work offline. Please make sure to download your charts first, while you have a cellular or wifi connection. Once the Charts are downloaded onto your device, they will always be accessible for you. When you open the Chart List for a Chart, the downloaded charts are in BOLD. Certain charts like Explorer comprise multiple small tiled charts so you will need to download each chart tile individually. This is a limitations of certain Chart Providers, as the chartplotter software we can only display what they offer.

- Once a chart has been downloaded onto your device it will always stay on your device. If you cancel a subscription, all previously downloaded charts will remain on your device. Please do note that the download is on the device, so if you change devices you will not be able to move those charts. That is one of the great features we offer with a chart subscription

- Charts can be bought directly through the iNavX In-App Chart Store or through Fugawi.com. Both systems are connected and all purchases are tied to your Account. However I personally would recommend making chart purchases through the iNavX In-App Chart Store as all purchases made through the app are also logged with Apple/Google providing another backup

Happy to help with any other questions if you email me directly at shaun@navx.co
ShaunNavX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charts, iNavX, navionics