Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2012, 05:24   #1

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius
Cockroaches on a boat??

Not sure where to post htis and did a search but did not find any reference to killing cockroaches on the boat in a thread. Found a dead cockroach and have not found any evidence of others. That is not to say they are not present. What do you do to kill any cockroach population on your boat? We take all of the precautions to keep them off, but they do fly and they seem to appear at times.
landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:34   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin
Re: Cockroaches on a boat??

I would use the same stuff you would use in your house.
I had some Palmetto bugs in my boat once and I went to the store and bought ant and roach killer. It worked good for me.
Palmetto bugs look like roaches but are the size of a small dog
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:37   #3
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by landonshaw View Post
Not sure where to post htis and did a search but did not find any reference to killing cockroaches on the boat in a thread. Found a dead cockroach and have not found any evidence of others. That is not to say they are not present. What do you do to kill any cockroach population on your boat? We take all of the precautions to keep them off, but they do fly and they seem to appear at times.

A number of bugs that would never show up in your home can make home your boat through no fault of your own.

Don't just use bug killer. They are still there where you can't see them. "Bomb" the boat at the first sign. It gets into all the cracks and crevices. Even palmetto bugs (cockroaches on steroids) will move into a home if they can find a place where they are not disturbed. It does not have to be big, and believe me, your boat has them. All boats have them.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:38   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

A previous thread:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-do-61781.html

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:50   #5

Boat: Able 50

That was one of the better threads.

I look forward to trying the borax mix this summer.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:51   #6
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
A number of bugs that would never show up in your home can make home your boat through no fault of your own.

Don't just use bug killer. They are still there where you can't see them. "Bomb" the boat at the first sign. It gets into all the cracks and crevices. Even palmetto bugs (cockroaches on steroids) will move into a home if they can find a place where they are not disturbed. It does not have to be big, and believe me, your boat has them. All boats have them.

PS I meant to say, bomb the WHOLE BOAT. If you have a hold area under the cockpit that you get to through the cockpit, attach the bomb to a piece of cord, set it off, and lower it down there and slam the lid shut. My cats and I got off the boat for the night. And all I'll say is that the palmetto problem was bigger than I realized and that the dead bugs showed up in places I never would have imagined.

They get extremely thirsty as they die and sometimes they keep dying for a couple of weeks. More than once I found a dead one in the head. They were seeking water, I think.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:02   #7
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

bombs DO NOT WORK ... use a really GOOD (not raid) spray industrial strength that lasts a few months--and spray EVERYTHING.... use roach baits also--not raid. btdt in another persons boat and the boat gave me creepies.. i prophylactically spray every 3 months now.
cockroaches fly into boat and cross on lines from docks. doesnt matter how careful you are--you NEED good spray.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:03   #8

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius

yes thanks for the thread. I must be searching incorrectly!??
landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:33   #9
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

I HATE Palmetto bugs. I second Borax because I HATE Palmetto bugs. But here in the states I simply call my Orkin man out to the boat because I HATE Palmetto bugs. He has a license for stuff normal people can't get their hands on. It's a rare occurrence on my boat. A good exterminator is cheap. As Momma always said "Sometimes it's best to let those who know what they are doing, do it."
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:43   #10

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

You must have brought cardboard aboard! Plutomium dust or a flame thrower will work!
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:46   #11
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

cardboard does not necessarily bring roaches--they FLY they CRAWL and they LIVE ON DOCKS..lol... innovative concept...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:17   #12

Boat: never wrecked a boat while awake or sober

I make a paste of boric acid , milk powder and water. Little balls, toss em in the lockers.
They can get so bad that they will scurry across your BODY at night.
In which case, smack em, roll em, body slam them to the sole, then barefoot stomp em.
bruce smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:32   #13
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
bombs DO NOT WORK ... use a really GOOD (not raid) spray industrial strength that lasts a few months--and spray EVERYTHING.... use roach baits also--not raid. btdt in another persons boat and the boat gave me creepies.. i prophylactically spray every 3 months now.
cockroaches fly into boat and cross on lines from docks. doesnt matter how careful you are--you NEED good spray.

Zee, I'm speaking personally here. Bombs worked EXTREMELY well on my boat. Fantastically well. But it is important to bomb the whole boat. That's how I ended up lowering a bomb down into my hold.

Once you've gotten rid of them I guess you can spray, but there are so many cracks and crevices so close together on a boat. I don't want to breathe all that stuff.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:34   #14
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tingum View Post
You must have brought cardboard aboard! Plutomium dust or a flame thrower will work!

Cardboard can bring roaches and silverfish aboard, but palmetto bugs fly in. Giant flying roaches -- what a travesty of evolution!!!
Old 10-06-2012, 07:46   #15

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

I had them on one cruise. When you can't leave the boat for a few days, it brings up some challenges. I first tried the roach motels, which were worthless. Raid, eventually did the trick. I'd spray their hiding areas and areas they came out into the boat, and then leave the boat for a while - go to shore for an evening fire or something.

Doing that about 4 times, did it for me.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote