Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2009, 05:46   #1

Boat: Tayana V42 - Harmony
Going Cruising Check List

Hi all, I a m looking for a check list of things I need to get done before we take off in 2 years. Not so much on preparing the boat but more on all of the other things that I have yet to think of. If anyone has something like this I would appreciate you sharing it with me. Thanks Terry
T.Emigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2009, 07:31   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Terry --

I don't have a checklist per se, but I do have a suggestion. Pick up Nigel Calder's Cruising Handbook. Read it, of course, but also you can use his chapter headings to begin a personal checklist for yourself. Going through the chapters, start listing those things you already know/have on one side and then a second list of those skills/items, etc. that you don't know or have.

This should give you a good start. By the way, Calder's is certainly not the only book on the topic, there are many others, too -- some good, some not, but Calder's is pretty decent and has some good learning in there.

The bottom line, though, is no matter how much you do, in the first six months you will have a number of those, "I should have ...." thoughts! But, that's part of the fun.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2009, 09:38   #3

I dont have a checklist, but some things that sometimes get overlooked when we spend all our time working on the boat in the marina...:
* Go cruising, test the ability of your system for a week or so to keep the batteries charged without shore power.
* Also test how well the anchoring system works, reefing system etc.
* Dingy storage scheme... is it working well?
* How much oil disappears in the engine in a week? In the coolant?
* Does the Autopilot work good when other things come on like the HO alternator or refrigeration? or does it take off in a new direction?
* Comfort in the cockpit... what do you need?
Maybe you are already way ahead on this....Good luck! I'm in Skagit County too....
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2009, 10:15   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
There be a few of us up here in Skagit land...
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2009, 17:30   #5

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
I am addicted to check lists. They are constantly evolving and vary from year to year. However, maybe the latest will give you some things to think about.

Send me a PM with your email address and I will forward the list to you.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2009, 17:57   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Hi all, I a m looking for a check list of things I need to get done before we take off in 2 years.
When you toss the checklist you know know it's time to go. It really is getting out of the slip that counts. It is the hardest part (other than docking in a gale). We all need to tend to things in our own way and time. No one else can make you a check list or they would already be gone and unavailable to do so.

The admiral is into check lists. I avoid them until the last minute. Anything important always will be. It's OK to double check before you go. Just don't make it a project. Lists like that always grow faster than you can complete them. A 2 year list is a death sentence. All your priorities could change in the balance. It might go better than you think. You need more optimism. The list is only the reasons you can't go. You need the list of reasons you can. That is the list that can grow and get you out of the slip. It might still take 2 years. You don't need to know that now.

Think in terms of what if the goofy idea worked! Now wouldn't that be just the perfect mess to get into. We can always be wrong but you can work on being right. It's in the reasons for going not the reasons you can't leave.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2009, 09:47   #7

Yea, my checklists were spiral stenographers pads. I would end up with about 2 or 3 of them full both sides of the page before the project was done! The list evolves all the time. it's also interesting to go back and look at some things on the list after you've been out cruising and returned. "whoa... that was a stupid idea! No wonder it never got done!" The more I would make lists , the more ideas I would have. Much of it just kept me from leaving the dock....
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2009, 10:55   #8

Boat: Gullfstar 50
I keep lists.
Must haves
Like to haves
What I forgot to haves
Dune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2009, 18:07   #9

Boat: Tayana V42 - Harmony
You guy's are spot on, I 'll just forget about a list and go Sailing.
T.Emigh is offline   Reply With Quote