Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2007, 08:40   #1

Boat: Gulfstar 50
Anyone Heard of Rescue Tape ?

We were at the fair last week (sadly not on our boat) and saw a guy promoting a product called Rescue Tape. It is a silicone self-fusing "tape". You can find it at Rescue Tape Self-Fusing Silicone Tape ~ The Ultimate Multi-Purpose Repair Tape! to check it out. We are thinking it could have several applications for boat use. The only thing it is not good for is flat repairs such as hulls or sails, etc... (darn). It can even be used to make an emergency O-ring. I saw it first and wanted to bring my husband back to see it. He really felt like he was being set up, you know, how those booths can be...for you this weekend our special price of only $1800 for waterless cookware, what a bargain! After he was able to try it and see some of the things it had been used for we bought 3 rolls (show special, 3 for the price of 2) and he said it sounds like great stuff. Just wondering if anyone has actually used the stuff and what for.
msamwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 09:31   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to gosstyla
Use it and like it, mostly on lines and rigging. West Marine has a couple of products that I believe are similar and not as expensive.
gosstyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 09:36   #3

Boat: ISLANDER 41 DAWN TREADER
RESCUE TAPE

I LOVE THE STUFF. I COULDN'T FIND IT 10 YEARS AGO WHEN I CAME BACK TO THE U.S. IT WAS JUST A HARDWARE STORE ITEM IN PLACES LIKE NEW GUINEA! YOU CAN GET THE SAME STUFF AT HOME DEPOT NOW FOR A COUPLE BUCKS A ROLL. YOU'LL GET GOOD AT STRETCHING IT INTO PLACE WITH JUST A LITTLE PRACTICE.
TAREUA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 14:51   #4
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Silicone tape is similar to butyl tape, aka "self amalgamating tape" that fuses to itself after a while. You can find this in the electrical section of most big hardware stores, it is used to insulate wire and cable, made by 3M among others. Sold by chandleries as "rigging tape" to go over sharp cotter pins, etc. too. And damned expensive, no matter which source or kind you buy.

Telcos do something similar, using a "rubber" tape and a special adhesive between layers. But you can also use bicycle inner tube (get a punctured one free at any bike shop's dumpster<G>) and even car/truck inner tube as a standard damage control patch. You clean it off, stretch it neatly around a leaking pipe joint, etc., and then secure it in place with seizing wire or clamps or even duct tape. If the pressure isn't too high--it can hold that way for years.

Also the best way to overwrap antenna coax connections, to make sure water simply can't get into them.

Miracle? No, but a real useful product in a pinch!
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 13:48   #5

Boat: Tartan 37 "Velera"
Don't Count on Rescue

I bought some of this stuff at a boat show and it did not work in a couple of applications. The stuff appears to work very well when first applied, but it "unwraps" in a wet warm environment. It did work, sort of on a rubber hose with negative pressure, but failed in every other application.
Castine, Maine
Pete the Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 17:35   #6
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Dunno why it would unwrap, the 3M butyl tape I've used literally welds itself up into a hard rubber "block" and has to be cut away to get it back off. I've noticed some silicon tapes don't harden up that way, and I guess that's a two-edged sword.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 03:20   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
SOME TAPE TIPS:

- Use a quarter or half-lap wrapping technique, where each wrap overlaps the previous wrap by a quarter or half the width of the tape.

- Apply tape with enough stretch to conform to the object you are wrapping, usually reducing the width of the stretched tape to about 5/8 to 3/4 of it’s original width.

- On the last few turns reduce the stretch tension until it is zero at the last turn or two, to prevent flagging. Use a scissors to cut the tape end square, as a knife or tearing will add stretch to the last lap, and cause it to un-wrap.

- Any time you wrap tape on a threaded component, make sure you wrap it in the direction that tends to tighten the screw threads. This means if you are taping a splice, for example two PL-259's screwed into a double barrel female, you must tape each connector from the cable end to the barrel center, overlapping the first side tape with the second side tape.

- Always run the tape "uphill" - that is from a lower point to a higher point (vertical plane), or from a smaller diameter to a larger diameter.

- Rubber tapes should generally be over-wrapped with a vinyl tape for mechanical protection.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:02   #8

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
I have recently used a wide version for a mast boot seal. Appears to work well. This is also used in aircraft where it has a datecode and a blue or red thin stripe on one side. Aircraft Surplus stores sell the out of date stuff for almost nothing and it is still good for years.

"I got a chuckle from MSAMWHEELER,s take on the "Show Specials" I have a few of those items. The broom is usless and the cleaner only cleans their carpet!

PT Barnum was not wrong.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:18   #9

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
One of my diesel exhaust hoses crimped and sprung a leak. I used this type of tape as a temporary repair and ran 3 days motoring from Norfolk to New Bern with good results.

You don't get much more damp and warm than that. Worked fine.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2008, 16:45   #10

Hi Tareua (and fellow cruisers), We're very happy that you love Rescue Tape. Thanks for the praise. Just for the record, however, our product is not available at Home Depot or other "big box" stores. You can find it at many local marine supply stores around the world, truck stops nationwide, local hardware stores, and many places online including Rescue Tape - Home. The product sold at Home Depot is not made by us, and is of a very different quality, function and strength. We maintain that Rescue Tape is the strongest, fastest fusing silicone tape on the market, and satisfaction is guaranteed.
Happy cruising,
Rescue Tape
RescueTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2008, 05:26   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

There are any number of Self Amalgamating Silicone Rubber Tapes, such as, 3M’s “Scotch 70"

Old 27-10-2009, 07:17   #12

Boat: Adams 13 (43ft) Xyris
I know this is an old thread but I just discovered it and would like to put in my two bits...

I find it excellent on interior work out of the sun. As a seal for wire ends and for identifying wiring it is very useful. In the harsh Ozzi sun however it does not last much over 6 months before it splits and falls off.

I always have a red, black and green roll handy whenever I do anything electrical on the boat.

I like to cut the ends diagonally and find that it goes a long way on small crimped wire connectors. On much bigger connectors on the larger B&S wire which is untinned it seals out the moisture effectively and is much better than shrink shield.

I think the trick to getting it to work well and bond is to really stretch it whilst applying it.

Externally I use a rubber self almalgamating tape in white and black but it's not as pleasent to use as Rescue Tape nor does it come in port and starboard colors.

Fabian
fabian1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2009, 08:17   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabian1956 View Post
... I think the trick to getting it to work well and bond is to really stretch it whilst applying it ...
- Apply tape with enough stretch to conform to the object you are wrapping, usually reducing the width of the stretched tape to about 5/8 to 3/4 of it’s original width.

- On the last few turns reduce the stretch tension until it is zero at the last turn or two, to prevent flagging. Use a scissors to cut the tape end square, as a knife or tearing will add stretch to the last lap, and cause it to un-wrap.

See also post #7.

Old 15-04-2011, 10:24   #14
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Anyone heard of rescue tape?

i will be trying rescue tape on my dead packing gland---is not able to be repacked, and has a cracked flange...am trying not to work it--- as i will be short-handed from ensenada to mazatlan, i want to avoid problems.....at least the crew staying with me will be seasoned....
thankyou , gord for that info---will help keep in place until maz, i hope.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2011, 11:29   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Anyone heard of rescue tape?

By the way, Rescue Tape is not the same as Butyl tape. Both are self-amalgamating, but the butyl tape will degrade after a few years of sunlight exposure (as I have discovered).

I got a big roll of Rescue Tape in a local hardware store, but it isn't carried everywhere.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote