Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2017, 09:40   #1

San Diego -- Looking for broker and attorney recommendations to buy.

We have been given the names of a couple of people and conflicting information about them. Has anyone bought or sold in San Diego and can recommend or advise against anyone? Thank you!
ScarletO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 11:45   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: San Diego -- Looking for broker and attorney recommendations to buy.

look up a surveyor named kjels christian of christian and assoc. he is honest and brokers donot like him because of that. he is GOOOOD. he will help you find a good broker and what you need. just ask him
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 11:52   #3

great, thanks!
Old 21-04-2017, 12:08   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletO View Post
great, thanks!
tell him karen sent ye.
i went around with him to survey boats one or 2 days--- was very interesting and enlightening. tell him i was the one who went to marriott for survey with him and mission bay. was a long time ago.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2017, 08:15   #5

Boat: Jeanneau 45DS

I purchased my current boat through Ian Van Tuyl at Cruising yachts. He is the Jenneau dealer for California, but has some used boats listed. He will also help you find a used boat anywhere in southern California. He helped us look at boats in SD, Long Beach, MDR & Newport. If I had to sell or buy a boat, he would be my first call. I just contacted him the other day for a firm to create an LLC for a boat and he was right on it.

ianvt@cruisingyachts.net
(619) 681-0633
bcsete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2017, 08:39   #6

Boat: 1986 Catalina 34'

I bought my Catalina 34' last November from Daron at California Yacht Sales. His office is located at Harbor Island West Marina. His phone number is 619-301-1177. He lives aboard his boat there at the marina. I was an out of state buyer and he helped me with all the details and hooked me up with all the right people to get everything done which included getting the Coast Guard documentation I needed. After the sale he helped me when I got my sail jammed in the shrouds. He got his climbing rig and went up my mast and freed it for me! He also helped me figure out why my roller furling line was getting jammed in the spool. He has called me several times to see how things are going as I learn more about about the systems on my boat.

I highly recommend that you give him a call!

Al s/v St. Thomas
ahumbug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2017, 09:06   #7

Thank you!
Old 22-04-2017, 11:18   #8

Boat: 2017 Beneteau 38.1

I bought my current boat a Beneteau 323 11 years ago from South Coast Yachts on Harbor Island, and they, to this very day, have been amazing, and have been with me every step of they way. So good in fact I am now in the process of trading my boat in for a new Beneteau 38.1 from South Coast Yachts, they're that good.

In my opinion, when you make this major purchase of buying your dream, you want a relationship with the seller, to continue on. And my relationship with them has been very good. They have a service department, and inspect my boat quarterly, and if they discover problems, make recommendations. I've used them for all my maintenance issues.

Also, these guys are not just salespeople, they are out on the water almost every day, and they all come from a deep sailing background. My guy with them is Paul Briant, he probably has forgotten more about sailboats than I will every learn.

The maintenance department has done minor repairs on my boat a number of times without even charging me, they just wanted to make sure I got out on the water.

google them south coast yachts harbor island

Sincerely,

Rick D'Amico
Beneteau323
San Diego/Phoenix
rickdamico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2017, 13:33   #9

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Just to address a portion of the question that has not been answered: You should not need an attorney. While I cannot speak with authority about any individual in the area, I can say that the surveyor suggestion, including the reason, was excellent. It is fairly easy to find boats in the area, as they are numerous, and the internet has provided access to many more listings than simply wandering the docks or purchasing all of the publications on the newsstands and the freebies usually in racks near marina restaurants and chandlers. Good luck
Old 22-04-2017, 15:41   #10

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

My cousin , while still in the UK, bought a 1970 Colombia 50 (unseen) through Ian Bossenger of CA Yacht Sales. Ian is based in Harbour Is, SD. Most helpful and a successful purchase. After a while of local racing my cousin then converted the boat to cruising mode and is now in mid-Pacific in the Marquesas on the way to Indonesia. Ian was a great help all the way. Mention "Sagacious" to him. (ian@californiayachtsales.com )
Andrew
Old 23-04-2017, 06:55   #11

andrew odwyer at yachtfinders is a great broker
bill fox is a thorough and hones surveyor.
chriscd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, san diego