Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2016, 11:28   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50
DIY MMSI (re)programming

I'm guessing that somewhere out in the world there are folks who know how to reset your vhf, AIS, etc so that you can program in a new MMSI without sending it back to the dealer. This thread is for the collection of that information.

Of course there is the potential for abuse by those who want to create problems by spoofing an MMSI. I discount that potential as that there is nothing stopping someone from buying a new VHF and programming in YOUR MMSI....

This thread is intended to have only info on how to reset an instrument so that a new and valid MMSI can be programmed for those who need it. Along with reports of success or failure. (feel free to create a thread on how bad doing this is)

All the usual disclaimers apply - Don't do this or even post in this thread if it is against the law where you live. Don't take anyone's post as being anything more than speculation. Any action you take based on information in this thread is on your head - the poster is not responsible if you break the law, turn your radio into a brick or otherwise.

It is my hope that we end up with a resource that is of use to the boating community.
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2016, 11:41   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50
RAY Marine Ray240 VHF

I don't have one of these radios and have never touched one. I did come across some information that I would like to share. (caveat emptor)

From my reading it appears that the Ray240 has a hidden Dealar Options menu that is activated when a "Gold" Dealer handset is plugged into the unit and the unit turned on (by pressing 16?).

It appears that the steps to change the MMSI are:

1) menu - CH^V - select Dealer Options
2) menu - CH ^V - select DSC Options
3) menu - CH^V - select Reset MMSI Number
4) menu - <type in new MMSI on keypad> - menu

The key to getting into dealer options appears to be having the dealer handset.

There are a set of resister positions (that are not stuffed) on the handset PCB that can pull the some CPU inputs up or down. These are also connected to TP49 and TP50.

It appears that putting a (surface mount) 10k resister in R67 and R68 will place the handset into the Dealer "Golden" Handset mode.

R67 pulls TP49 (and IC4A P6.7/A7) up to 3.3v
R68 pulls TP50 (and IC4A P6.6/A6) down to 0v

Of course it is pure speculation on my part that making this mod to your handset will allow you to reprogram your Ray240 MMSI.
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2016, 05:20   #3

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis
Re: DIY MMSI (re)programming

There is some software that I obtained for reseting the mmsi number on Raymarine radios, I don't have the cable but I could send you the software, its infuriating that this lock (on the mmsi number) is forced on everyone by some idiotic danger mastabator bureaucrats.

I don't see DSC being used at all!, I've never been called and when ever I've DSC called someone it's gone unanswered, everyone just sticks to the hailing channels eh?! I almost didn't bother entering my mmsi number to give the next owner a choice. But it might be useful for auto sending my position in a emergency..if the coastguard isn't confused by the all ships call!
sailabroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2016, 11:58   #4
UYA

Boat: Moody 42

Hi evm1024,

we have a M-Tech SX 35 DSC. This model seems to allow a change of the MMSI when doing a "factory reset":
  1. press "MEM" und "SCAN"
  2. turn on
  3. wait until "Factory Reset" is displayed
  4. release "MEM" und "SCAN"
  5. press "ENT"
  6. turn off
  7. turn on (Display doesn't show anything)
  8. press "ENT"
  9. turn off
  10. turn on
ATIS can be changes without factory reset

Cheers Patrick
UYA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 22:37   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailabroad View Post
There is some software that I obtained for reseting the mmsi number on Raymarine radios, I don't have the cable but I could send you the software, its infuriating that this lock (on the mmsi number) is forced on everyone by some idiotic danger mastabator bureaucrats.

I don't see DSC being used at all!, I've never been called and when ever I've DSC called someone it's gone unanswered, everyone just sticks to the hailing channels eh?! I almost didn't bother entering my mmsi number to give the next owner a choice. But it might be useful for auto sending my position in a emergency..if the coastguard isn't confused by the all ships call!
Its not a masturbating eurocrat or bureaucrat that is causing the problem of locking down the units identification. I think its those in Government that want to monitor the comings and goings of everyone. Its for our own good.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 00:32   #6

Boat: Lagoon 42

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-08-19 at 22.15.42.png
Views:	2543
Size:	224.3 KB
ID:	130392   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-08-19 at 22.15.53.png
Views:	2382
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	130393  

ReneJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 07:25   #7

Boat: Ovni 395

Any Idea where to get such info for Simrad RS8300 ?
xslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 07:36   #8

Boat: Lagoon 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by xslim View Post
Any Idea where to get such info for Simrad RS8300 ?
Kniest in Muiderzand has been known to change these FOC , 3 minutes work and they will do it while you wait
ReneJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2016, 06:05   #9

Re: RAY Marine Ray240 VHF

for alot of raymarine vhf's there is a simpler way: just press DSC+16/9+FUNC and keep them presset while power on, wait for a beep and it's donne...
electronicmarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2016, 06:08   #10

Quote:

can you please send it to me: electronicmarine@tiscali.it
electronicmarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 15:06   #11

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis

I really resent any government organisation keeping track of me, where I am day and night, I believe it's naive to think it's for my benefit. I'm a big kid now and I can look after myself.

Also, like me, many people buy second hand boats with second hand radios. There is no facility to change a mmsi registration, country, mmsi must match boat registration country, so this seems a little like the inbred cousin syndrome.
sailabroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 19:45   #12

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

I have only experience with Icom. When I purchased a new Icom VHF it was easy to program. I programmed that way 4 or 5 VHF and HF radios of others.
Now, I have to reprogram an HF radio (model IC 802), and Icom Australia provided me kindly a step by step way how to do it. I am not on my boat now, but will follow that advice in 3 weeks time.
BTW, I have been told Icom products can only be changed once by mortals like us, for a 2nd time a technician needs to be called.

So after an Icom purchase (new) the owner can program MMSI following the manual.
When getting a 2nd hand unit, the new owner can change that once.
After that, we are out of luck, and only Icom trained technicians can change MMSIs.

I have my EPIRBs, radios, and of course AIS transmitter, all programmed with the same (MMSI) number. But like said before in this thread, maybe other ships do not always respond to a radio request, but when pressing the (red) DSC button, I am sure there will be a response, so programming in the correct number makes sense.
Old 16-10-2016, 19:59   #13

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Quote:
I really resent any government organisation keeping track of me, where I am day and night, I believe it's naive to think it's for my benefit. I'm a big kid now and I can look after myself.

Also, like me, many people buy second hand boats with second hand radios. There is no facility to change a mmsi registration, country, mmsi must match boat registration country, so this seems a little like the inbred cousin syndrome.
The first 3 digits of the MMSI indicate country of origin, see here for information: Table of Maritime Identification Digits . When changing MMSI (see my previous post), one can change the country code that way.

If one does not like to be kept track of:
- some AIS are receivers only, do not and can not transmit
- most AIS transmitters have a hardware button or software toggle, to keep it silent (receive-only mode).
However some countries, I know of Indonesia and Thailand, it is mandatory to have AIS and to keep AIS transmitting all the time.
Old 07-05-2017, 00:30   #14

Re: RAY Marine Ray240 VHF

Quote:
Originally Posted by electronicmarin View Post
for alot of raymarine vhf's there is a simpler way: just press DSC+16/9+FUNC and keep them presset while power on, wait for a beep and it's donne...
I neither see FUNC nor DSC button on my handset for my RAY240VHF.

When I try to change the MMSI, it says it has to be done by Raymarine (or a dealer), which I know will be pricey. The MMSI is from a previous "shadow register" in Australia from the original owner - and that number isn't even listed any more.

Maybe I will try the resistor option above, although I need those resistors first ...
DITB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 01:31   #15

Boat: Salona 40

Does anyone know the procedure for the Furuno FM-2721?
I would be pleased.
fonix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grass