Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-12-2012, 05:11   #46

Boat: Albin Vega, 27'
Re: Chart Problems on Raspberry Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm815 View Post
I, too, am having issues with CM93 charts on the Pi. It crashes as soon as it tries to load the first chart.

I am using a 256MB Pi (although I believe it's a model B as it has 2 USB ports - I think it was somewhere during the transition from A to B!). I'm using a 216MB/32MB memory split. I do not believe it's a lack of memory causing the issue, as there is ~50MB free when the crash occurs.

I compiled OpenCPN 3.1.1220 from source, with the ARM fix to the source (malloc(double)) that Alisdair discovered. Thanks, by the way, Alisdair for your posts. It's infuriating when someone posts "Never mind, solved it!" to a forum without explaining what they did.

Here's my log: OpenCPN log - Pastebin.com
Help yourself to my working package PiChart
Alisdair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 12:06   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisdair View Post
Help yourself to my working package PiChart
Thanks Alisdair. I did try your package as well, but got the same issue.

Was there anything else you did for that package besides the malloc(double) fix?

Merry Xmas
sm815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 14:03   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm815 View Post
Thanks Alisdair. I did try your package as well, but got the same issue.

Was there anything else you did for that package besides the malloc(double) fix?

Merry Xmas
that, and compile for armhf.

Are you using one of the recent raspbian hard float images? If not, get it from here: Downloads | Raspberry Pi

What size and speed of SD card are you using? I'm getting good results with 8GB and 16GB class 10.

run raspi-config and play with the graphics split - default 64 should be OK, though.

in opencpn.conf set MEMCacheLimit = 40 (no particular reason for that value, but it worked for me; changing didn't seem to make a difference though) Refer to the OCN web site for details.

You could also set NCacheLimit=4 (or any low number, but it didn't make much difference, it still worked)

I also use raster charts (Antares) and have quilting on with no problems.

If you are pointing at CM93 world charts, change it to only look at your local zone.

nothing else to suggest - if you are using an early Raspberry pi with the latest Raspian image, and my .deb, it should just work.

Alisdair
Old 24-12-2012, 20:05   #49

Quote:
Are you using one of the recent raspbian hard float images?
Yes, I'm using the 2012-12-16 build of Raspbian with hard-float.
Quote:
What size and speed of SD card are you using? I'm getting good results with 8GB and 16GB class 10.
8GB class 4. I can't imagine that would cause a crash, but I will try another card to be sure.
Quote:
run raspi-config and play with the graphics split - default 64 should be OK, though.
I've tinkered a bit with that already - I've tried launching OpenCPN with 32MB, 64MB and 128MB graphics memory. Launches successfully without charts, but crashed with CM93 in the same place.
Quote:
in opencpn.conf set MEMCacheLimit = 40 (no particular reason for that value, but it worked for me; changing didn't seem to make a difference though) Refer to the OCN web site for details.

You could also set NCacheLimit=4 (or any low number, but it didn't make much difference, it still worked)
Good idea, thanks - I haven't tried these yet.
sm815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2012, 04:22   #50

Looks like the latest Raspbian image doesn't work with my package .. I'll see if I can fix it
Old 28-12-2012, 12:09   #51

updated package and instructions at PiChart
Old 29-12-2012, 17:38   #52

Boat: Seidelmann 37

Alisdair, Stuartb, others (esp. Dave/bdbcat author of OpenCPN) - I haven't looked to see if I can send message directly to someone in this forum (new), but please let me know if I can or should do so.

Bottom-line - as much as I tried (really hard, believe me - not giving much of the detail below) to have this work on the raspi, it just seems very clunky on this system, and, importantly for me, right now cannot handle ENC's.

Installation on my MacBookPro shows me that OpenCPN will be *great* on a platform like a decent MacMini etc. (I plan to use my Mac Mini - very power-thrifty - on boat as primary computer etc - but still don't want it powered up all-the-time).

I hope to still (help to?) make OpenCPN work adequately on a raspi for something to look at on small screen in cockpit as moving along etc.

I just bought new boat (Seidelmann 37) to work with. Will use OpenCPN - wanted to do it primarily from the Raspberry Pi I bought recently.

Thanks to various threads from you and others, I'm running OpenCPN on my:
-- 512 mb raspi (Nov 24 shipped), using 2012-12-16-wheezy-raspbian image on an 8 gb Sandisk class 4 card. I've updated/upgraded the system a couple of times, as recently as Dec 28, & perhaps added a few things (minimal and shouldn't relate to this, but I forget - a bit frustrated with the minimal sys admin gui stuff in the raspi image etc).

I used Alisdair's deb (3.1.802, I think) package that I got in mid Dec (and yesterday updated to his Dec28 3.1.802-1 deb, see below for reasons). (sorry for lack of detail - shut down my pi, workin on my mac right now).

Both deb's ran OpenCPN just fine (slow but fine) using (USA's) NOAA raster charts for Florida. But neither will process NOAA's ENC (vector) charts w/o crashing, as has been discussed being a low-power raspi problem.

I took lotsa notes in the many-many hour process of trying to fiddle with things (overclocking & memory splits on raspi, MEM & N CacheLimits for OpenCPN). I selected one ENC chart to be in my active chart directory - smallish chart, but one never really knows w/ vector detail(?).

Memory - doesn't appear (??) to be the real issue - bottom line of a lot of detailed info: in my (default 64k to GPU version) raspi I have max of about 330 mb RAM available prior to starting OpenCPN. Of course lots of things change, but I generally have at least ~250 mb RAM available when crashing on ENC-SENC development - and never used any swap (all according to top, 3-sec updates, watching "like a hawk").

I then figured I should try compiling a newer src myself - the 3.1.1224 src released on Christmas day (thanks!). Compiled fine w/o any malloc etc changes that I remember Alistair refering to (sorry, so many threads etc I don't remember the rationale for src code change). Variations in behavior (Alistair's and my more recent build), but ENC "ingestion" is usually fine, but then crashes about 1/3 the way thru additional processing.

So I thought I had a great idea - process the ENC-to-SENC's on my Mac, which was working great. Copied over all of the processed SENC's from the Mac to my raspi (w/ unix line feeds on txt files). Figured that if OpenCPN on raspi didn't have to process them, but simply use them for display, all would be dandy.

Alas. No luck. My active chart dir has only one ENC (but all SENCs are in standard location on raspi). When I click on accessing that chart, I crash w/o any notation in the log file. Durn.

So I figured I'd process the ENC-SENC's on my Fedora VM (on my mac), in case there was some OS-specific lib stuff (I saw a file with an ".a" extension somewhere in all of this). But I my Fedora is old (14), and even after updating the linux kernel and all updates, the rpm dependencies make me realize I have to completely re-install to a newer Fedora (seems strange, but that's all I can figure). Moreover, I think I may be grasping at straws regarding the generation of SENCs to be used in raspi.

I basically am thinking of using my Mac Mini for primary navigation, and have the raspi available as another nav failsafe (incl paper charts and my iPad, etc). Use raspi to constantly run with simple raster chart displays to a little monitor that I may set up near helm (haven't worked that out yet - having fun with exploring options).

Sorry for such a long post (hasty - hope it makes sense) - I'm a scientist who does some computational programming (mostly straight C and unix shell) in order to do my work - not a "good" programmer. But I'm happy to explore any suggestions that folks can come up with.

-carl
ephyraboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 17:43   #53

Hi alisdair,

I've been using your package for a bit now with great success. I dont know how you figured out what to change - but good job!

Got a question/issue I'm wondering if you can answer. I'm using CM93 charts and sometimes at specific points in the map, when zooming into certain levels of detail, Opencpn will crash. This is hardly the norm - I'm just curious as to what could cause this. I've been able to always replicate the crash when zooming into Charleston, USA harbour, as well as Sydney, AUS harbour. Would this be an issue with opencpn or with the CM93 charts?

Also - did you also make recent changes to the package (as in, should I download the package again?).

Thanks for your help and work. Much appreciated.
nsweeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 17:48   #54

ephyraboater - use CM93 charts and you will be much happier. Unless you really want your ENC's
Old 29-12-2012, 18:01   #55

Boat: Seidelmann 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsweeting View Post
ephyraboater - use CM93 charts and you will be much happier. Unless you really want your ENC's
Got it. I'm new to the electronic navig stuff (though I'm a computer nut) - I guess I'll have to find out where to buy CM93 charts for where I'm interested.
ephyraboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 18:31   #56

or just google cm93 torrent if you feel so inclined....
Old 30-12-2012, 02:03   #57

Quote:
Hi alisdair,

I've been using your package for a bit now with great success. I dont know how you figured out what to change - but good job!

Got a question/issue I'm wondering if you can answer. I'm using CM93 charts and sometimes at specific points in the map, when zooming into certain levels of detail, Opencpn will crash. This is hardly the norm - I'm just curious as to what could cause this. I've been able to always replicate the crash when zooming into Charleston, USA harbour, as well as Sydney, AUS harbour. Would this be an issue with opencpn or with the CM93 charts?

Also - did you also make recent changes to the package (as in, should I download the package again?).

Thanks for your help and work. Much appreciated.
I rebuilt against the latest Raspbian image, but didn't alter the code.

In the first instance try NCacheLimit=10 and MEMCacheLimit=10 in opencpn.conf (I keep forgetting which takes precedence so I just use both, RTFM if you want to be correct)

Ensure you have lowest memory allocated to GPU (raspi-update , memory split 16MB)

The problem will be with the Pi, not OCN or the charts; we're trying to squeeze a quart into a pint pot.
Old 30-12-2012, 07:32   #58

Quote:
I rebuilt against the latest Raspbian image, but didn't alter the code.

In the first instance try NCacheLimit=10 and MEMCacheLimit=10 in opencpn.conf (I keep forgetting which takes precedence so I just use both, RTFM if you want to be correct)

Ensure you have lowest memory allocated to GPU (raspi-update , memory split 16MB)

The problem will be with the Pi, not OCN or the charts; we're trying to squeeze a quart into a pint pot.

I've seen it crash myself, so another couple of things:
- change to mariner's standard under vector charts
- only load charts for the appropriate zone, e.g. 1-2 for UK, 3-9 (but not 8) for Sydney
Old 31-12-2012, 13:27   #59

Quote:
I've seen it crash myself, so another couple of things:
- change to mariner's standard under vector charts
- only load charts for the appropriate zone, e.g. 1-2 for UK, 3-9 (but not 8) for Sydney
did the mariners standard. how do you only load certain charts in CM93? Is that possible?
Old 01-01-2013, 11:15   #60

Quote:
did the mariners standard. how do you only load certain charts in CM93? Is that possible?
The versions I've seen have different sub-directories for different groups of zones; just pick the relevant one.