Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-10-2014, 08:18   #1666

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: Feature Requests

Launcher plugin + a script doing whichever magic with a position you need?
I really don't think this has to go to the core.

Pavel

Sent from
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 08:18   #1667

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Perhaps a plugin that takes Boat Location and inserts it into the "Walking Waypoint"?
Of course a plugin might do it in a number of ways. I just thought it would be somewhat too heavy solution.

I do not need to refer to "My Boat" location, I rather like to think in terms of waypoints. I can have many of these, with various parameters preset. I am happy to place them and move around by hand, if needed.

This time I am not thinking about reprojecting and overlaying the dynamic image on a navigation chart, although ultimately it would be very nice.

Internet requirement is about the same as for grib, and after the connection is cut, the display continues.

Attached is my sample waypoint, as it looks now.
Attached Files
File Type: doc nullschool Coral Sea.gpx.doc (1.0 KB, 62 views)
PjotrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 08:55   #1668

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Launcher plugin + a script
Is there any sample script for the launcher available to handle waypoint (preferably) or boat position data? Could be a place to start, although selecting among a few perspectives would not be as nice as with waypoint links...
Old 11-10-2014, 09:02   #1669

Pjotr...
https://github.com/nohal/launcher_pi - scroll down to the readme.
If you need to transform the lat/lon somehow, write a BAT script, I don't use Windows, so can't serve here.
No support for WPTs, as the plugin does not know which of them you think of. The substituted vars can sure be extended with the viewport location, if it suits your purpose better.

Pavel
Old 11-10-2014, 09:59   #1670

Quote:
write a BAT script...
Thanks, Pavel, all things considered, it looks like hand-editing the WPT link is still less trouble than this... Would be easier for me to write a Python program to read the navobj.xml, but then I would need to remember to export WPT after every change, and to handle the multitude of OpenCPN environments I have... hmm...
Old 17-10-2014, 21:54   #1671

Some wishes on live tracking of their vessels and friends
1. Client for GpsGate Server
2. Display of vehicles and personal GPS trackers from GpsGate Server in the form of targets on the screen OpenCPN
3. the capability to display the incoming connection position as AIS targets
Baikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2014, 12:39   #1672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baikal View Post
Some wishes on live tracking of their vessels and friends
I think in the GPSGate world friends are called Buddies, and a search for "Buddy" in this forum can reveal some factual info. Whether it is enough or not quite is another matter...
Old 05-11-2014, 18:19   #1673

Re: Feature Requests - waypoint range rings

Hi folks,

New OpenCPN user here. I used Nobeltec 8 for many years. But, now I need to upgrade my WinXP to Win7 and found that Nobeltec will not just copy over (and is no longer supported). So, I found OpenCPN and am impressed so far.

I have to admit that I'm not a boat owner. Instead, I'm an engineer that performs testing/research involving boats and ships. I use these navigation tools to prepare and monitor experiments. I need to request a boat or ship to follow a prescribed route. I'll telemeter the ship's GPS to my shore station in order to monitor their position (use OpenCPN to display telemetered GPS).

So far, I only see one missing feature for my purposes. I bring this request up because I suspect that other folks might also make use of this feature:

I would like to be able to display range rings associated with a waypoint. Just like the range rings associated with the own-boat, I would like to define the number of rings and the radius spacing.

I use this often when I want to define equal length tracks centered on a specific waypoint (for my purposes, I need to see the boat at different angles... but I don't want the boat drifting out of my field of view). The waypoint is my primary measurement point. I place start/end waypoints along the range rings to show the captain the desired routes (look angles). An inner range ring is good for slow speeds and outer rings work for higher speeds.

I hope this makes sense... thanks
EngRMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 18:29   #1674

I needed circles as well, so had made https://github.com/nohal/OpenCPNScri...XCircle_GC.ods and https://github.com/nohal/OpenCPNScri...XCircle_RL.ods to generate them as GPX tracks which can be loaded as layers. Not as flexible, but so far serves my purposes well...
And please file the request in the tracker, here it will get lost after a bit of time...

Pavel
Old 05-11-2014, 18:47   #1675

Quote:
I needed circles as well, so had made https://github.com/nohal/OpenCPNScri...XCircle_GC.ods and https://github.com/nohal/OpenCPNScri...XCircle_RL.ods to generate them as GPX tracks which can be loaded as layers. Not as flexible, but so far serves my purposes well...
And please file the request in the tracker, here it will get lost after a bit of time...

Pavel
Thanks Pavel,

Thanks for the link to flyspray. The instructions further up on this thread did not work for me... but the link in your email worked well.
EngRMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2014, 11:35   #1676

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Should opencpn remember fullscreen mode?
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2014, 12:26   #1677

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

I think for many the answer is yes. And for testing we can just keep it not maximized. Perhaps it should remember last screen status?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2014, 18:49   #1678

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
Should opencpn remember fullscreen mode?
I think for many the answer is yes. And for testing we can just keep it not maximized. Perhaps it should remember last screen status?
For those running on Windows tablets this could be problematic. If you bring up the virtual keyboard (since tablets generally do not have physical keyboards), press F11 to activate fullscreen mode, and then close the virtual keyboard (or send it to background by tapping on OpenCPN), then you have no way to exit full screen mode, because there is no taskbar available to re-launch or get focus of the virtual keyboard app.

So in this situation, the only way out of OpenCPN is to force a power-down with the power button. But if OpenCPN remembers its last screen status, it will just re-launch into fullscreen again, and the vicious cycle will continue.

If you want to launch in fullscreen all the time on a Windows machine, just double-click on a batch file with
Code:
start opencpn.exe -fullscreen
I assume that there is an equivalent way to do this in Linux and MacOS.
RhythmDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2014, 04:56   #1679

RD good point, one more reason to eliminate the option "Show Toolbar at Full Screen Mode" and just have the Toolbar shown in ALL modes because it is needed!

Quote:
..Windows tablets this could be problematic...virtual keyboard..press F11 to activate fullscreen mode ..then close the virtual keyboard..then you have no way to exit full screen mode..no taskbar available to re-launch or get focus of the virtual keyboard app.
May we add your vote to the ballot, to eliminate this option in Options > UI?
Checkbox for "Show Toolbar in Full Screen Mode" --> Such that the Toolbar will always be shown no matter what screen mode.

Or do you want the open screen space for some reason? (With no Toolbox to control.)

PS: If the Toolbar is always shown no matter what Screen Mode, then Opencpn can remember Full Screen Mode without messing up Tablet functionality.
Old 21-11-2014, 05:08   #1680

If there is a need to reduce toolbar real estate for Tablets, is there a way to easily shrink and expand the Toolbar? Add a "Shrink Icon" that collapses the menu to one relocatable and transparent "Expand icon".

Or a keyboard shortcut that makes it disappear similar to the Menu bar.

--There are so many ways to look at this.