Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2013, 07:52   #31

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: Plugin Threads (List)

No, it's not critical, as i says, just a warning as it says. For the current epoch the data is bundled inside the plugin and data for past 2014 is not yet available.
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 21:41   #32

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Beta Plugins have been Updated

Plugins-Beta_Opencpn-3.2

*Compiled current as of May 24,2013, the others were complied May 17.

Ocpn Plugins - rguser, rgpass. Pick the Beta_Opencpn-3.2 directory.
Quote:
aisradar_win32_pi19_v096_pi.dll
*calculator_win32_pi18_v15_pi.dll
*celestial_navigation_win32_pi18_v15_pi.dll
*climatology_win32_pi19_v01_pi.dll
dashboard_win32_v120_pi.dll (updated with program)
*grib_win32_v220_pi.dll (updated with program)
*rtlsdr_win32_pi18_v08_pi.dll
SAR_win32_pi18_v08_pi.dll
vdr_win32_pi18_v03_pi.dll
weatherfax_win32_pi18_v07_pi.dll
wmm_win32_pi18_v07_pi.dll
Quote:
celestial_navigation directory (data)
climatology directory (data) <--- NEW DATA - DOWNLOAD!
Simply download the dll and place it in your plugiin directory.
These plugins generally work in Opencpn 3.2
Plugins with "pi18" (api 1.8) should work in Opencpn 2.6 and later.

Note: Celestial_navigation and Climatology plugins require special directories you must create
.../plugins/celestial_navigation/data/.../plugiins/climatology/dataThen download the 7mb zip file and uncompress leaving the gz files untouched and place in proper directories.

Climatology Notes: Cyclones do not display. Do not check creation of "Isobars" in the "Configure" menu for any of the data types listed, because Opencpn will freeze up in the middle of the building of the isobar.

Plugins-Beta-Opencpn-3.3
*Compiled current as of May 24, 2013, the rest are May 17, 2013
Ocpn Plugins - rguser, rgpass. Pick the Beta_Opencpn-3.3 directory.

Quote:
*watchman_win32_pi03_v02_pi.dll
*weather_routing_win32_pi07_vo6_pi.dll
Quote:
crashrpt directory (files needed in opencpn.exe directory) <---NEW opencpn.exe - Download.
weather_routingdirectory (data)
These plugins require Opencpn to be updated to version 3.3.
Update Opencpn 3.2 version as follows:
1. Rename your current opencpn.exe to opencpn3.2.exe
2. Download the Opencpn3.3.2.exe and place in the application directory under program files (x86).
3. Copy and rename Opencpn3.3.2 to be Opencpn.exe
4. Download the files under crashrpt directory and place them in the application root directory with opencpn.exe

Note: Weather_routing plugin requires a special data file under directories you must create
.../plugins/weather_routing/data/

Current Git Repositories - Sources
If there are corrections, please advise.
These are useful to Linux users who wish to compile their own plugins, and to Windows compliers.

Quote:
AisRadar git clone git://github.com/Verezano/radar_pi.git
Calculator git clone git://github.com/SaltyPaws/calculator_pi.git
Celestial Navigation git clone git://github.com/seandepagnier/celestial_navigation_pi.git
Climatology git clone git://github.com/seandepagnier/climatology_pi.git
Dashboard (no indep. builds, always included with program)
GoogleEarth git clone git://github.com/nohal/gecomapi_pi
Grib (no indep. builds, always included with program)
Logbook Konni git clone git://github.com/konnibe/LogbookKonni-1.2.git
Rtlsdr git clone git://github.com/seandepagnier/rtlsdr_pi.gitSAR git clone git://github.com/SaltyPaws/SAR_pi.git
LogbookKonni git clone git://github.com/konnibe/LogbookKonni-1.2
VDR git clone git://github.com/SethDart/vdr_pi.git
Watchman_pigit clone git://github.com/seandepagnier/watchman_pi.gitWeatherfax git clone git://github.com/seandepagnier/weatherfax_pi.git
Weather_routing git clone git://github.com/seandepagnier/weather_routing_pi.git
WMM git clone git://github.com/nohal/wmm_pi.git

Sourceforge
- Sources
Quote:
Calculator opencpnplugins - Browse /calculator_pi at SourceForge.net
New Plugins https://sourceforge.net/projects/opencpnplugins/
New Plugins DLL https://sourceforge.net/projects/opencpnplugins/files/
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 03:11   #33

Boat: 10.50 mètres

Hello Developpers,

Just a matter of organization.

It seems to me that there are now more than a year, it was decided that all data plugins are stored in a "Plugins" folder of the OpenCPN initialization file. For example, the plugin logbook Konni, respect this rule.

So they should not be stored elsewhere in "Program files". A long discussion had led to this decision.

It seems to me that now the data of several new plugins are in the folder of OpenCPN installation.

I ask all developers of new plugins to apologize for the question. Is it reasonable that the "personal" data is the installation folder?

Regards, Gilletarom.
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 05:39   #34

Gilletarom, I will try to find that discussion thread, as I did not follow it.

The data in climatology eventually will not change very often and is large (7.9mb), it is located at ../plugins/climatology/data/ and has about 35 files.

The data in celestial_navigation does not change, is small, and consists of 3 files and is located ../plugins/celestial_navigation/data/

The data for weather_routing is one file which does not change and it is located ../plugins/weather_routing/data/

This data is the type of data that does not change, and so it should be considered a part of the plugin code and should be located in the plugin directory. I do not expect that Sean will want to change this, and I certainly do not want to have to scramble to change it either. So my vote is to keep these the way they are.
Old 24-05-2013, 06:36   #35

Hello RGleason and all developpers,

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Gilletarom, I will try to find that discussion thread, as I did not follow it.
Please apologize for re-launch the debate. It had not occurred in a single thread but was recurring at one time. The major cause is that when installing a new version of OpenCPN very often of large files was lost by users.

This happened to me when installing the latest version 3.2.2. I had confidence because for some time, installing a new version was not the entire household. Ok I said without thinking and .... I lost a lot of information. I had to rebuild them. If it had been included in the file intialisation I have lost nothing.

Also, if I put this post in this thread, it's because this thread is universal. It applies to all plugins. And therefore, all current and future developers. And not just climatology for example.

It is best to ask Dave and Pavel also have certainly a much better knowledge than me:
- Issues raised during the three years and a half of development OpenCPN
- Discussions that helped prevent their recurrence.

I apologize again to revive the debate on the organization of OpenCPN in the PC but it had great importance at one time.
That said, I'm not a developer and I may be wrong to talk about it again. I measure the amount of hard work that it could ask to change anything that is currently underway.

Dave might be telling us that the issues raised in 2011 (and I still believe in early 2012) are still news and merit revisit that.

Best regards, Gilletarom.
Old 24-05-2013, 09:18   #36
Marine Service Provider

Gilletarom...

quote:
"This happened to me when installing the latest version 3.2.2. I had confidence because for some time, installing a new version was not the entire household. Ok I said without thinking and .... I lost a lot of information. I had to rebuild them. If it had been included in the file intialisation I have lost nothing."

What did you lose? How did this happen?

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 13:57   #37

Gilletarom, for weather_routing, climatology and celestial_nav there are many variable user settings stored in the opencpn.ini file! -Just noticed that, which conforms to the way the other plugins work for user settings and parameters. These plugins however refer to some external data, stored under plugins directories named similarly to the plugin.
Old 24-05-2013, 15:37   #38

Beta Plugins have been Updated -Again
A future improvement, crash reporting, has been disabled and all the plugins and opencpn.exe recompiled without this feature.

Plugins-Beta_Opencpn-3.2

Compiled current as of May 24,2013, 4:50pm.

Opencpn Beta Login - Plugins - rguser, rgpass. Pick the Beta_Opencpn-3.2 directory.

DLL File List:
aisradar_win32_pi19_v096_pi.dll
calculator_win32_pi18_v15_pi.dll
celestial_navigation_win32_pi18_v15_pi.dll
climatology_win32_pi19_v01_pi.dll
dashboard_win32_v120_pi.dll (updated with program)
grib_win32_v220_pi.dll (updated with program)
rtlsdr_win32_pi18_v08_pi.dll
SAR_win32_pi18_v08_pi.dll
vdr_win32_pi18_v03_pi.dll
weatherfax_win32_pi18_v07_pi.dll
wmm_win32_pi18_v07_pi.dll

Necessary Directories and Data:
celestial_navigation directory (data)
climatology directory (data) <--- NEW DATA - DOWNLOAD!
Can also download from Climate-Data2 directory.

Simply download the dll and place it in your plugin directory.
These plugins generally work in Opencpn 3.2
Plugins with "pi18" (api 1.8) should work in Opencpn 2.6 and later.

Note: Celestial_navigation and Climatology plugins require special directories you must create
.../plugins/celestial_navigation/data/
.../plugiins/climatology/data
Then download the 7mb zip file and uncompress leaving the gz files untouched and place in proper directories.

Climatology Notes: Cyclones do not display. Do not check creation of "Isobars" in the "Configure" menu for any of the data types listed, because Opencpn will freeze up in the middle of the building of the isobar.

Plugins-Beta-Opencpn-3.3
Compiled current as of May 24, 2013, 4:50pm.
Opencpn Beta Login -Plugins - rguser, rgpass. Pick the Beta_Opencpn-3.3 directory.

DLL file List and necessary Opencpn.exe:
watchman_win32_pi03_v02_pi.dll
weather_routing_win32_pi07_vo6_pi.dll
opencpn3.3.424.exe - Download & follow instructions.

Necessary Directory and Data:
weather_routing directory (data)

These plugins require Opencpn to be updated to version 3.3.424
Update Opencpn 3.2 version as follows:
1. Rename your current opencpn.exe to opencpn3.2.exe
2. Download the Opencpn3.3.2.exe and place in the application directory under program files (x86).
3. Copy and rename Opencpn3.3.2 to be Opencpn.exe
4. Download the files under crashrpt directory and place them in the application root directory with opencpn.exe

Note: Weather_routing plugin requires a special data file under directories you must create
.../plugins/weather_routing/data/

Old 24-05-2013, 15:41   #39

Hello Dave,

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Gilletarom...

quote:
"This happened to me when installing the latest version 3.2.2. .... I lost a lot of information. ...
What did you lose? How did this happen?

Thanks
Dave
Bonjour Dave, I see that you are still listening.

For quite some time, until version 3.2.1, I stored some data:
- In a subfolder of the plugins folder
- In a subfolder of "Share / locale / fr". I will put the various French language files for OpenCPN and plugins.

Similarly, in the initialization file, I subfolders with data from my tests with lobbook Konni and other data files such as French tides.

Until version 3.2.1, not in this case had been destroyed during the installation of a new version of OpenCPN.
When I installed the 3.2.2 version, I was surprised to find that all my data had disappeared.
I remember that I did not do exactly as usual. I do not know exactly how I practiced. I only know that I left the installer OpenCPN do as it seems ...

Finally, I had a completely new installation, but in all my personal sub-folders were deleted.

I had not talk about this on the cruisers forum. But it had alerted me.

I do not know when was the problem. Is it can be appeared in the release of version 3.2. Several users have reported on the French forums, that kind of thing at the output of the latest version. (They lost the French tide files in initialization folder.)

Old 24-05-2013, 17:38   #40

We can all understand Gilletarom's concern, perhaps there are some reasonable ways to handle this. In Windows some Opencpn data is stored in ProgramData/opencpn where there are a number of xml files, opencpn.ini and opencpn.log. In opencpn.ini there are many user settings which is user personnal setup, so this is usually saved by Opencpn install, I believe.

Charts are stored in a directory of your choice and are not overwritten.
Routes, Tracks and waypoints are stored in xml files:
Navigation Data Backup | Official OpenCPN Homepage

Quote:
The navobj.xml.[1..x] takes care of your session data backup. This means that when you start OpenCPN it "remembers" the state of your last session.
A rotating backup of navobjects is automatically created on every program run. OpenCPN keeps backups of the last 5 runs. This can be changed.
These are the Navobj.xml.1 ...Navobj.xml.2 located in ProgramData/opencpn. I believe opencpn install does not overwrite these files.

Now lets think about the Climatology, Weather_Routing and Celestical_Navigation Plugins Data. Eventually this data will not be changing much and it will be distributed with each plugin in all likelihood. The user has no control over this data and it is the same for everyone, just like charts really, but it is associated with a plugin.

The user settings for these 3 plugins are already stored in opencpn.ini.

So there really isn't that much to discuss in my opinion, except perhaps figuring out how User Layers fit into this and where they should be stored and saved. --ProgramData/opencpn/ in layer files? - I don't know anything about layers...http://opencpn.org/ocpn/layers ..Imutable Routes, gpx format, stored in a directory called "layers" same directory as opencpn.ini, they will always open with opencpn.

Also aren't the most current po language files just downloaded and place somewhere? I was hoping that someone would write this up a little more, and I thought you had done so, because you know so much, is it in the manual now?

Best Regards, Rick
Old 25-05-2013, 11:05   #41

Hello Rick Leason and all.

I must add something here. I come from two weeks to change the PC. I had an ASUS 1001HA with XP. Now I have an ASUS 1015. Same screen size but with W7 Starter edition.

I found that paste files in the installation folder was quite difficult. They seem to disappear. But in fact, they are listed in another file AppStore. Not easy for many users.

This is due to the fact that W7 and W8 are much more closed than W XP.
I chose to give me wider to the installation folder rights. But this is not easy to do for inexperienced users with W7 (and it would probably be the same with W8)

The alternative would be to have a software to install data automatically. But it would also require the development work.

B.R. Gilletarom.
Old 25-05-2013, 11:18   #42

Yes, Gilletarom, In Windows 7, which is mostly like WinXP, I actually like it betterr, you will need to go to Tools > Folder > Options > View Tab and give your self some elbow room with
Display full path in title bar,
Show hidden files, folders and drives,
Show driive letters
and uncheck Hide file extensions,
and Hide protected operating sys files..

Yes it should be possible to have software install standard data automatically without overwriting user data but it is all volunteer as you know, and it is quite incredible what gets done!

Hope you like your new Asus. is it fast enough? What current draw? Win7 is great, you'll find out. I will never go to Win8, wait for next OS from them. We've done every other one, skipping all lemons. -Win95, WinXPpro, Win7!
Old 26-05-2013, 02:46   #43

Would it be an option to make the first post the latest overview of all plugins and opencpn-version and installation help? In that way the user does not have to browse to all posts and decided which post to pick for installation.
George64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2013, 08:50   #44

Hello RGLeason,

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Yes, Gilletarom, In Windows 7, which is mostly like WinXP, I actually like it betterr, you will need to go to Tools > Folder > Options > View Tab and give your self some elbow room with
Display full path in title bar,
Show hidden files, folders and drives,
Show driive letters
and uncheck Hide file extensions,
and Hide protected operating sys files..
Yes, yes ..... But this not for many users using OpenCPN but not "expert" with their PC.

That is the real issue I raised in this debate. Unless we reserve the OpenCPN use a small amount of users. Just for the elite.

But I also understand that developers do not always have time to make a product very, very easy to use.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:41   #45

Climatology Plugin - Data update
Climatology Data has been updated. Sean has made some improvements and reduced size for several data types. The old directory "Climate-Data-2" is outdated, use the "Climate-Data-3" directory. There are 42 files needed. You may download the single zip file CL-DATA3.zip instead.
OCPN File Thingie 2.5.7 Authenticate: rguser, rgpass

Sean has also updated the plugin code with new isobar routines.

These work in Linux, but work is still needed for Windows, because the plugin fails to compile now in Windows. Those using Linux, can update the plugin:
Climatology git clone git://github.com/seandepagnier/climatology_pi.git
Also possibly Git fetch --all and pull to update to Opencpn 3.3.604 beta
Then Compile and Build from opencpn-git/build
1. cd opencpn-git
2. cd build
3. cmake ../
4. make
5. sudo make install
6. This builds all the other plugins and opencpn, but not climatology_pi, it needs data to be setup.

Windows users will have to wait until the updated version compiles into a dll. You may update to the data set above, it will not affect your current Climatology plugin operation.

Tags
paracelle