Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2011, 06:53   #31

Boat: Nicholson 39, Antares
Re: Program Won't Open

I checked my event viewer applications and have following error, does that make sense to anyone?
Faulting application name: opencpn.exe, version: 2.5.0.0, time stamp: 0x4e2ef221
Faulting module name: wxbase28u_vc_custom.dll, version: 2.8.10.0, time stamp: 0x4ca4bb33
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00004356
Faulting process id: 0x1a64
Faulting application start time: 0x01cc8cd28b7beafd
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\OpenCPN\opencpn.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\OpenCPN\wxbase28u_vc_custom.dll
Report Id: cacdc96e-f8c5-11e0-989f-00266c676dac
Unquote
Looks like a file named wxbase28u_vc_custom.dll is invloved, rest I am unable to interpretate -
My O/S is Windows 7 professional
Regards Peter
pofranck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2011, 07:03   #32

Boat: 29'

lookup vc_redist and find one that'll work for win7.It'll be on the MS site.
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en...s.aspx?id=5555

I see that the wx files weren't installed by opencpn.
and per your install log I gather O got about halfway installed and then she expired without a whimper...

Download a fresh version of opencpn from http://opencpn.org/download.

I thought win7 came with this...anyways,antivirus off.You can disconnect from internet while installing,too.I do this regularly and cut the head off anything that pops up complaining
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 08:41   #33

I seem to be having a similar problem. 2.5.0 has been working ok then this morning it won't open. The item appears in the task bar, but nothing else. I am running it under XP. Followed the instructions under 'known bugs' but cannot find anywhere on hard drive opencpn.ini or opencpn.cnf

Anyone know what I should do next? could reinstall but would not like to lose my settings, wayponits etc.
Upnorth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 08:57   #34

Quick followup to my last post.

Tried to start the program again - this time I right clicked on the task bar item and selected 'Maximise' and voila the program appeared. Waypoints are still there.

So now going to try and track down my ini file. All previous instructions point to C:\ProgramData\opencpn - I have no such folder! Anyone know where to search, mind you I have already searched the entire C: drive.
Old 17-11-2011, 11:19   #35

Boat: 29'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upnorth1 View Post
Quick followup to my last post.

Tried to start the program again - this time I right clicked on the task bar item and selected 'Maximise' and voila the program appeared. Waypoints are still there.

So now going to try and track down my ini file. All previous instructions point to C:\ProgramData\opencpn - I have no such folder! Anyone know where to search, mind you I have already searched the entire C: drive.
XP,right? goto:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\opencpn

You have to browse via MyComputer,C:\ ,etc. to make any logical sense and find it....and maybe,you might need to be able to "see" all files too, to get there...ie:you can see "hidden" files?I'm not sure because "unhiding" is my first tweak on an xp install.

To Unhide,go to any folder,or even in Control Panel look for the menu,Folder Options>View ...and find the setting.

the ProgramData folder is Win7

anyways,up this thread at http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post761712
is an answer.

but maximise usually works in XP
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 13:33   #36

Thanks, found it, it was C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\opencpn. Looks like all the answers refer to Win7 and not XP. Maybe the 'known bugs' workaround should be modified to give the right click to maximise and folder as 'ApplicationData'.

Thanks to all for getting the program to this stage anyway, incredible achievement.
Old 21-02-2012, 04:59   #37

Boat: Open 30

Legends, Thanks All.
Had a mate using windows 7 professional & OpenCPN appeared to be running but could not get the display up. Fixed a couple of times without knowing what had fixed it.

Did not have this problem myself on my windows 7 starter until a few days ago. Now can replicate problem & fix @ will.

1. Close OpenCPN when minimised. Next time it opens no display only icon in task bar.
2. Hover over icon & when the little window appears above it, right click & select maximise from the menu.

With the fix so simple don't need to play with the INI file & can happily wait for the fix in the next release.
Team Terminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 19:20   #38

Boat: Formerly Fuji 32 Ketch

I have a friend who sent me this:

I am still having problems getting 'Opencpn' to run on 'windows 7 home' I get a notification after I 'run' opencpn.exe has stopped working. and this happens each time I try to open it. All the files are installed.

Any help?

Terry
yachtvalhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 16:16   #39

Boat: Formerly Fuji 32 Ketch
Re: Program Won't Open - problem solved

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtvalhalla View Post
I have a friend who sent me this:

I am still having problems getting 'Opencpn' to run on 'windows 7 home' I get a notification after I 'run' opencpn.exe has stopped working. and this happens each time I try to open it. All the files are installed.
He reports the problem was the language setting in his computer of 'Malay-English'. When set to 'US-English' the program works fine.

Terry
yachtvalhalla is offline   Reply With Quote