Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2012, 12:19   #16

Boat: Fantasia 35
Re: Radar Simulation Screen for OpenCPN

Tore,

You could of course use a GPS simulator to send a fixed position. Problem solved.

Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2012, 12:52   #17

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7

Viking Sailor..

Thanks for the tip..but probably easier then to plugin my GPS puck..I was just making a point.

Tore
Old 31-05-2012, 12:56   #18

Pavel/DotDun..

Sorry,I seem to have wrongly addressed my #13 to Pavel,it was meant for DotDun..

Tore
Old 31-05-2012, 13:20   #19

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad7 View Post
Pavel..
First of all THIS radar plugin does not have any facility to display coordinates of a target via it´s own ranging mechanism. A connected GPS is ESSENTIAL to it´s working condition. AIS is NOT plotted based on bearing/distance from coordinates delivered by a GPS,it is self sufficient and does not need a GPS to be connected.

I would say AIS targets are VERY important to safe navigation as we are otherwise sailing ´blindly´into the night.

Like the ´Radar´feature in ocpn,why not use the coordinates of Own Ship?
In this way it extends the usability of this additional aid to navigation.

Anyway,that´s only MY views,you are free to differ.

Tore
Admittedly, I don't understand what's under the covers of OCPN. But I do semi-understand GIS software, layering, and APIs.

I'm still having difficulty understanding your use case of using OCPN for navigation, radar, and AIS targeting without a GPS connected. Targeting something using 'own ship' position which could be ?? miles from my actual location seems odd to me.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2012, 14:05   #20

DotDun..

I am sure many people are using OpenCPN as ´dead reconing´ as a backup to paper charts,so other instruments are not essential,but of course adviceable.

Most users of OpenCPN knows where to find OwnShip which in this example is their present mooring place. And what happens if their GPS fails to function under way?
With the position calculated by dead reconing and using ´Jump to position´you will at least see all the AIS targets within your range. With the present version of AIS Radar you will not.

Then there is also a growing number of seafarers who after a lifetime at sea,now have become ´armchair sailors´ and enjoys following their old shipmates and ships across the oceans. One day,you will be one yourself,with a bit of luck!

Tore
Old 31-05-2012, 15:32   #21

Boat: Fantasia 35

Maybe someone could implement a DR plugin for OpenCPN. Where a position fix, time. course, speed, set, and drift (etc.) would be input. The out would look like a GPS was connected. Might be useful to someone someday. Though a backup GPS is probably a better solution.

Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2012, 16:11   #22

Viking Sailor..

You are right. We are so caught up in our world of technology we forget the ´noble art of dead reconing´ until one day our instruments fail in mid-ocean with no backups.

A DR plugin is a very good idea,both as a backup as well as double check.
In addition to the inputs you mentioned,there should also be the input of log reading for the calculation of speed as well as a comment area,like a logbook.
Perhaps one of the existing logbook plugins could be modified to such a purpose?

Tore
Old 31-05-2012, 16:32   #23

Boat: Gemini 3200

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
I'm still having difficulty understanding your use case of using OCPN for navigation, radar, and AIS targeting without a GPS connected. Targeting something using 'own ship' position which could be ?? miles from my actual location seems odd to me.
The most likely case where GPS coordinates might not be available is when the GPS unit (or the USB link) fails. Unless your boat moves very fast Ownship will be a relatively valid position for quite some time. You can also update Ownship at any time if you believe you know a more accurate position. It just makes sense that the program should look at Ownship for AIS so that the AIS functions keep working even if the GPS fails.

It's also possible that you might want to look at AIS targets while anchored, perhaps to asses the amount of traffic you'll have to deal with when you get under way, perhaps just because you're interested in what's moving around you. And you might prefer not to activate your GPS while your boat is stationary.

The downside to having AIS look at Ownship instead of GPS coordinates is Ownship can be far from your actual position. If you move Ownship or if you have autofollow turned off you might see irrelevant AIS targets while not seeing important ones.

Fabbian
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2012, 16:59   #24

Boat: Formerly Fuji 32 Ketch
Thumbs up Re: Radar Simulation Screen for OpenCPN

Very nice addition to the plugins!

I have favored the Yacht-AIS Pro program as an additional display feature for AIS targets since it shows the targets in a radar style display. Of course, it also has a variety of alarms not incorporated in OpenCPN.

HOWEVER ... the Yacht-AIS Pro program does not work with Windows 7! It is being 'worked on' by Y-Tronic since I reported the problem in January 2012 but no fix to date.

So this plugin is a bonus for me.

Thanks
Terry
yachtvalhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 18:44   #25

Boat: Formerly Fuji 32 Ketch
Exclamation Re: Radar Simulation Screen for OpenCPN

The vessel orientation along it's COG is similar for OpenCPN, MaxSea, Yacht-AIS and probably others. They evidently use the information set in the AIS transponder at installation (from a vessel's heading sensor) and this is sometimes wrong. It's very confusing at first glance until you note the track or COG of the target. See first screen shot of the Yacht-AIS display for two vessels.

BUT .. the radar simulation screen evidently uses the COG from the target to determine its orientation along the COG.

The second screen shot with OpenCPN and the Radar plugin shows what I mean. Note the vessel HHIC-F2 (a ferry) is shown oriented with its COG.

Much better

Terry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12 06 02 09 15 44.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	41771   Click image for larger version

Name:	12 06 02 09 22 53.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	193.4 KB
ID:	41772