Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2015, 13:06   #1

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'
Windows 8.1 GPS Configuration OpenCPN 4.0.0

I recently got an ASUS T200TA Tablet/Laptop with Win 8.1. I went to connect the internal GPS in OpenCPN 4.0.0, but don't see any Com ports in Win 8.1. I do see a Broadcom GNSS 4752 Geolocation Sensor in Device Manager. Can someone tell me how to connect to an onboard GPS in Win 8.1 please?

Thanks, Jim
Old 08-01-2015, 13:44   #2
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39
Re: Windows 8.1 GPS Configuration OpenCPN 4.0.0

More information here:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1670522

The geolocation sensors in the Win Tablets do not output NMEA sentences on a serial port on its own. Win 8.1 does encapsulate the data into a different API.
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 15:13   #3

Please report back in the thead that bcn linked to give us your impressions on the Asus T200. That's a very nice hybrid machine that should be a great platform for running OpenCPN.

I am glad to hear that it has an internal GPS, as none of the reviews had mentioned it, and some comments claimed that it did not. But that's a common error because people can't get it to work out-of-the-box with legacy Windows apps (as you discovered). petrsimon's GeolocationTCP utility should fix that for you - let us know so others will benefit. Be patient with getting a first fix. It can take several minutes.

I just picked up an Acer Switch 10 for $229 from MicrosoftStore.com. It does not have internal GPS, though. My Miix2 8" does have internal GPS. It has a lot of quirks, but does work as long as you hold the tablet upside down so that your hand does not cover the antenna. (I said it has quirks!)
RhythmDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 11:29   #4

Thanks Guys,
GeolocationTCP-r6 did the trick! I thought I read your Win8 OpenCPN thread before, but I just didn't connect the dots...

I do need my WiFi turned on for Geolocation TCP to reach Ready Status and for the Ship locator in OpenCPN to work. I don't need to be connected to a network, but I need the service turned on. The GeoTCP display seems to send about every 30 seconds and my Ship Locator refreshes (GPS indicator changes from red to green) about every 26 seconds.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:31   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindredpdx View Post
Thanks Guys,
GeolocationTCP-r6 did the trick! I thought I read your Win8 OpenCPN thread before, but I just didn't connect the dots...

I do need my WiFi turned on for Geolocation TCP to reach Ready Status and for the Ship locator in OpenCPN to work. I don't need to be connected to a network, but I need the service turned on. The GeoTCP display seems to send about every 30 seconds and my Ship Locator refreshes (GPS indicator changes from red to green) about every 26 seconds.
I don't think your GPS chip has a fix. I think your computer is getting its location from SSID or IP address mapping. If you had a GPS fix, you would be getting an update every second.

You might want to look for a utility that tells you how many satellites your GPS sees. OpenCPN gives you a rough idea how many. I'm curious to hear what it shows if you're getting your location entirely from SSID or IP mapping.
Old 09-01-2015, 19:10   #6

Thanks again Doc...
I just performed a low tech test. I took the T200 for a walk/drive. The Lat/Long on Geolocation TCP changed appropriately, accuracy ranged from 50 to 8m, Kn measured pretty close to the speedometer reading, and updates occured every second. According to the downloaded Sensors App, GPS is working... So although the Geolocation TCP is working, I think you're right about OpenCPN reading SSID. It seems to only update when WiFi is on and there are possible connections. In OpenCPN 4.0.0 Options > Connections, am I correct setting my data connection 127.0.0.1 data port 15555 Protocol to be TCP instead of UDP or GPSD?
Old 09-01-2015, 19:50   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindredpdx View Post
...am I correct setting my data connection 127.0.0.1 data port 15555 Protocol to be TCP instead of UDP or GPSD?
Yes:

Old 11-01-2015, 09:39   #8

My GeolocationTCP operated correctly away from WiFi, so I must have have a working GPS chip. OpenCPN isn't picking up the signal so I'll keep working on it and post my progress.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:38   #9

Boat: Trimaran Oceanbird 30

Any idea on how to convince Geolocation TCP to see the Broadcom 4752 chip and get the signal from it instead of Wi-Fi? If I turn the Wi-Fi off, I get GNSS status: Initializing and GNSS Source: Wi-Fi. In Device manager I can see the Broadcom 4752 GNSS sensor working ok.
I tried all versions of Geolocation (5, 6 and 9), tried to turn on and off Location in Windows, any other suggestion would be greatly, greatly appreciated !
skipper3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, gps, opencpn, wind