Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2013, 02:36   #1

Boat: Punch 1010 36ft
Turning props?

On our Lavezzi it is written to NOT put the engine in reverse,
this means that our props are turning constantly, which is wear and tear,
and with considerable speed they create a considerable noise !!
The other day I spoke to a Lavezzi owner who said; Just put them in reverse
anyhow, no problem!
HAS ANYBODY SIMILAR EPERIENCE
thanks
laforge24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2013, 03:11   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Re: Turning props?

The problem, if you have Yanmar engines and a Kanzaki transmission is that putting the gear into reverse while sailing might break the transmission. I have read that some people have manually built a prop shaft brake to stop the freewheeling propellor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Yanmar Advisory"
Advisory Number: MSA08-003:

DATE February 8, 2008 Dealers and OEMs
TO: All Marine Distributors
SUBJECT: Gear in Neutral While Sailing All MODELS:

All Sailboat Engines

We continue to get questions regarding the correct gear position while sailing with the engine OFF. This advisory is issued as a reminder; Yanmar requires that if sailing with the engine OFF (not running) the transmission shifter must be in the neutral position or internal damage to the gear or sail-drive will result. This damage will not be covered by Yanmar’s Limited Warranty. Please instruct customers and dealers who deliver the sailboat to the customer, of the correct (Neutral) position for the marine gear while sailing.

If the customer desires that the propeller shaft not spin while sailing, either a folding propeller, shaft break, or other suitable device may be used. However, Yanmar accepts no responsibility for the selection, installation, or operation of such devices. Please also refer to Marine service advisory “MSA07-001_Yanmar Sail Drive Propeller Selection” for additional information.

If you have any questions regarding this advisory please contact a Customer Support representative
Old 26-11-2013, 03:39   #3

Boat: Passport 41, Custom Perry in steel.

I've not the experience but its my understanding that putting in reverse it assumes that the shaft is locked to the (some) engine, not sure but its possible some engines would have a multi plate devise or torque converter and without oil pressure running the shaft won't lock, think the fear would be lack of lubrication. You have to find out whats appropriate to your engine.
Allowing the propeller to rotate will allow the vessel to sail faster, but however noise and cutless bearing wear would usually be considered unacceptable IMO.
Oceanride007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2013, 03:49   #4

I think this saildrive has continous lubrification
and I think it is not called Kanzaki
it s a yanmar with -I thought- yanmar saildrive,
and to be honest we have been having a lot of repairs on these saildrives, water in oil,
so had them repaired, then the -water-alarm went of, repaired again, pretty sick of this
system where you cannot change the oil without getting the boat on the dry !!
Old 26-11-2013, 03:58   #5

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
The problem, if you have Yanmar engines and a Kanzaki transmission is that putting the gear into reverse while sailing might break the transmission. I have read that some people have manually built a prop shaft brake to stop the freewheeling propellor.
Building a manual prop shaft brake would be quite a challenge on a saildrive such as would be found on a Lavezzi. Then the question arises of how one could utilize a folding prop on a Yanmar saildrive if you aren't supposed to leave it in reverse while under sail.
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2013, 07:02   #6

I do have Yanmars as said earlier, so the Volvo notice is not reliable,
as for the folding props, as one has folded them can t you put the engine in neutral ?
besides folding props don t have any/less resistance when folded, is less wear or movement!
I thought of installing folding ones, another big expense to made made, who wants to
buy my old props?
Old 26-11-2013, 07:02   #7

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubikoop View Post
Building a manual prop shaft brake would be quite a challenge on a saildrive such as would be found on a Lavezzi. Then the question arises of how one could utilize a folding prop on a Yanmar saildrive if you aren't supposed to leave it in reverse while under sail.
Assuming you are referring to the Yanmar SD20, it has a dog clutch. IMO, putting the SD20 in gear (forward or reverse) while sailing has less effect with regards to rounding the ears on the dogs than from putting it in gear while motoring. The strain on the drive train is much less while sailing when compared to motoring. I put my SD20s in gear while sailing, and it doesn't matter if it's forward or reverse, I use forward as it keeps the throttle levers in an 'out of the way' position.

I don't have any experience with the larger sail drives, but I can imagine a slight bit of mis-adjustment on the linkage/cone clutch could wreak havoc if left in gear while sailing.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2013, 07:19   #8

Yes we have those SD20, i remember having to look it up for spares,
So you, DotDun , put them in gear without problems, and thus have no noise from them?
How long have you been doing that for,
thanks
Old 26-11-2013, 07:26   #9

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by laforge24 View Post
Yes we have those SD20, i remember having to look it up for spares,
So you, DotDun , put them in gear without problems, and thus have no noise from them?
How long have you been doing that for,
thanks
10+ years - 2400 hours with no ill effect.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2013, 09:06   #10

Over and Out
Subject closed
Old 27-11-2013, 02:09   #11

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

La Forge,
I have a FP Athena with Yanmar SD20 saildrives in charter in Croatia. For years the charter operators have been suffering the water ingress in the saildrive oil for several boats with these saildrives, but this year they seem to have cracked it. It appears that Yanmar have now advised lowering the oil level to the minimum level (the bottom of the dipstick). So far, all the boats affected previously are clear of the problem.
I suggest you contact Yanmar for their official recommendation.
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2013, 02:38   #12

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Would this "not in gear" also apply to boats with a shaft version? I ask be cause I recently switched to a Maxprop, and while it is in neutral, it occasionally still spins (yes I know - this is probably because the prop is mounted too tightly, causing the vanes to bind and not feather properly). I will be loosening it come spring when I do a haul - but does putting it in reverse adversely affect the engine?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2013, 03:26   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapanui View Post
La Forge,
I have a FP Athena with Yanmar SD20 saildrives in charter in Croatia. For years the charter operators have been suffering the water ingress in the saildrive oil for several boats with these saildrives, but this year they seem to have cracked it. It appears that Yanmar have now advised lowering the oil level to the minimum level (the bottom of the dipstick). So far, all the boats affected previously are clear of the problem.
I suggest you contact Yanmar for their official recommendation.
Thank you for sharing this info!
Old 27-11-2013, 03:51   #14

Boat: Jeanneau 57

Carstenb - I would think that if you put the gear in reverse it would cause your blades to feather quickly. I've got a folding prop as well and turn off the engine, then put the boat into gear in order to force the blades to fold, then put it back in neutral so that I don't inadvertantly start the engine while in gear. Once the prop is in low-drag mode there should be no pressure and no movement and so the position of the gear lever should make no difference.
Old 27-11-2013, 04:21   #15

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Carstenb - I would think that if you put the gear in reverse it would cause your blades to feather quickly. I've got a folding prop as well and turn off the engine, then put the boat into gear in order to force the blades to fold, then put it back in neutral so that I don't inadvertantly start the engine while in gear. Once the prop is in low-drag mode there should be no pressure and no movement and so the position of the gear lever should make no difference.
Zanshin, Currently I put in forward for about 3 secs, which feathers the blades then just leave it in neutral. Just wondering about the strain the gearbox if left in gear. My Yanmar manual says to leave it in neutral

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote