Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2010, 05:22   #1

Boat: Yamaha AR192
Send a message via Skype™ to ArmyChief
Lagoon 380 vs 380 S2 - Feature Differences ?

I've been to yachtworld daily and this forum searching. Would some nice individuals advise me of some of the differences between the two models?

What year did the 380 start/end and the S2 start/end

From what I've gathered, they both have their engine access outside of the berths (I like this a lot). However, the newer S2 has some wood framing around it motors..which cramps things up a bit.

It looks like two motors were offered on both? (Yanmar & Volvo). Any feedback on performance, maintanace issues, etc)

Living space...which one based off your knowledge would be roomier to liveabord.

I'm not worried about one being 0.5 or 1 knot slower..or its a tank...currently it's main usage will be liveaboard with weekend excursions and two-three 3 week long coastal cruising with no-hurry on when to get to the destination.

As always, I value your feedback..thanks
ArmyChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2010, 09:13   #2

Wow..for the most popular boat in it's class...I was hopeing for a larger response <G>
Old 30-07-2010, 15:58   #3

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
For the kind of comparison you want, you should start with a Lagoon dealer, IMHO. I've chartered the S2 and it's a nice boat. The charter operator thought it was nicer than the predecessor, and said the wood covers help allot with reducing engine noise underway and give some extra storage. I found myself cursing those covers -- by the end of the week I was calling them "the French puzzle" and that was not an affectionate term. They are fit tight in multiple sections -- making them difficult to remove and replace, and that made me lapse my usual procedure of checking the engine compartment daily. If you were to actually use the space on top for storage you'd probably never look at the engines.

As for other pros/cons you should search this forum and others. I'm sure you'll find allot.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2010, 16:00   #4

Thanks sail
My eye's are bleeding..LOL
Old 05-08-2010, 07:43   #5

Boat: Lagoon 380; Indigo Moon
Hi ArmyChief,

I own a 2001 Lagoon 380 Owner's Version that is for sale and I have written a lot about the comparisons of the 380 to other boats, including the 380 S2.

You can see it all here:

Indigo Moon - For Sale

Click on the links and you'll get a lot of information you seek in the "owner's persective" write up.

The short answer is that on the 380 S2 Owner's Version, Lagoon:

1) greatly diminished engine access by building a shelf over the entire engine compartment . . . and like SailFastTri said, all it does is invite you to store a bunch of crap over the engine and make it even LESS likely you'll check the oil. Also, by trying to create storage with a shelf, they actually destroyed it. Without the shelf system in the way, I can easily store a full size 26" Montague folding bike, in a bag, in each engine compartment. You can't do that on a 380 S2 now that Lagoon built a shelf over the whole compartment. So I guess they keep bikes in a bunk or on the deck.

2) destroyed a terrific workshop/storage space in the forward starboard locker by moving the bulkhead of the shower forward. This made the shower dangerously big offshore (in my opinion you will have trouble holding on in really rough seas). The shower on the 380 was already tremendous and perfect. Thus, the change offered no advantage and was a terrible move if the boat will be used for full time cruising. As a cruiser, you need ALL the storage and shop space you can get, not a shower so big you could have a boxing match in it and no storage space in the bargain.

3) large picture windows were added in the sides of the hulls. There are stickers that warn not to put fenders in these large areas. That is easier said than done. When two people (one at the helm and one working lines) dock these boats in currents and crosswinds, it is . . . well . . . ludicrous to expect that the placement of fenders can be controlled. In my opinion, it was a bad plan to create hulls that have "no fender" areas. Also, the new picture windows in the hulls have a coating to reduce sunlight but that coating has proven to degrade in the sun/elements and has not worn well. And finally, even though I'm sure that the structural integrity of the picture windows has been thoughtout, I would personally would NOT want to be worried about a failure of one of those giant windows/components offshore in really big seas on the beam, nor be trying to take a nap off watch and seeing seas pounding a picture window. The risks and hassles of the picture windows are not worth it for me. If I want to get a panoramic view, I go up to the salon.

4) Lagoon added a sliding contraption of a "door" to close off the owner's hull . . . this is NOT something I would want on my boat. The cabins close anyway and it is not worth the weight, complication, and yet another moving system to maintain to have this, especially offshore where things like that can be left unhooked for just a second and become a missle hazard that can cause personal injuries.

So, as far as I am concerned, the S2 may have made a move toward a much fancier calm weather, easy docking in the same old place (where there are no surprises to hit those picture windows in the hulls), and a nicer weekend or charter boat where storage can be scarificed.

But the S2 is a strong departure from the best overall cruising model, the original 380 that has more storage, stronger hulls (note: there are no warning stickers on original 380 hulls), and a boat that is better suited for offshore work.

Things that are nice on the new 380 S2's is the better countertop for the sink and stove. That is nice.

Also, they finally, on later S2's, remolded the helm station's dashboard to have a bigger footprint for electronics and that is nice too. On the early S2's they simply added a big panel, like a dog-house on top of the old dash to increase electronics space . . . it's too tall, obviously an afterthought, and looks totally out of place . . . but on the newer S2's they finally changed the design of the helm dash itself and it's really nice.

All in all, again IN MY OPINION (as a cruiser will 17,000 miles and over five years in the Caribbean Fleet), the original 380 is a much better layout for fulltime liveaboard cruising and real offshore work and the 380S2 is a better weekend and charter boat where storage, offshore integrity, and simplicity are not that important.

Of course, the 380 S2's are cool boats and their owners love them and I am sure many will go cruising. So, it's all good. You just have to decide what version suits your needs and what is most important to you.

Hope this helps and best of luck,

Buddy
Old 05-09-2010, 09:32   #6

Boat: Lagoon 380, 38', I Dream of Jeanne
380 vs 380 S2

ArmyChief:

Contact Staley Wiedman, Staley Weidman at The Catamaran Company <Staley@catamarans.com> for a Lagoon factory comparison of the 380 vs 380 S2. I bought my 2002 380 from Staley in 2005 and was very happy with his knowledge, integrity and support.

I prefer the original 380 because the interior wood finish is higher quality, the big stateroom picture windows scare me, especially regarding mooring to pilings and don't like the restricted access to the engine compartments.

Love the boat, would buy another.

tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyChief View Post
I've been to yachtworld daily and this forum searching. Would some nice individuals advise me of some of the differences between the two models?

What year did the 380 start/end and the S2 start/end

From what I've gathered, they both have their engine access outside of the berths (I like this a lot). However, the newer S2 has some wood framing around it motors..which cramps things up a bit.

It looks like two motors were offered on both? (Yanmar & Volvo). Any feedback on performance, maintanace issues, etc)

Living space...which one based off your knowledge would be roomier to liveabord.

I'm not worried about one being 0.5 or 1 knot slower..or its a tank...currently it's main usage will be liveaboard with weekend excursions and two-three 3 week long coastal cruising with no-hurry on when to get to the destination.

As always, I value your feedback..thanks
timbenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 09:39   #7

Thanks. I believe Buddy "mudbug" above, sold his 380. A magnificant looking ans equipped boat.

Tags
lagoon, lagoon 380