Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2010, 06:06   #1

Anchored in Key West

I am in marathon and thinking of moving to key west Would like to hear from any body anchored or moored in key west or stock island What are the conditions? How crowed is the moorage and anchorage?
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 06:14   #2

It's been a few years but when I regularly sailed to KW, I anchored near Christmas Island. Get there early. It is crowded. Much of KW is not friendly to dingies (there was a dingy dock where you could pay). Again, it's been a few years, but used to be your best bet going ashore was to call the water taxi on VHF16.
TexSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:13   #3

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
Garrison Bight has lots of open mooring and a dinghy dock, the anchorages on the west side by Key West Bight and more crowded, dinghy dock at City Marina. Lots of room out at Man of War. It's been windy this last month and it keeps shifting around, so it can get a bit rough. Lots of marinas have space.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 15:20   #4

Boat: Cal 39, Karma
I am currently in the Key West City mooring filed off Garrison Bight. You can expect to pay in the $300 a month range but that includes the dingly dock and shower facitlities. We have had a fair breeze for about a month now.
The anchorage west of Flemming Key is exposed to N and NW winds which have been pretty steady lately. My favorite activity is listening to Ch. 16 during heavy winds and monitoring the dragging boats. Personally, I would take the mooring field and sleep better at night. Good luck. The water taxi is no longer running ( at least I haven't it)
jimking100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 19:21   #5
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Quote:
My favorite activity is listening to Ch. 16 during heavy winds and monitoring the dragging boats. Personally, I would take the mooring field and sleep better at night.
Or get a better anchor...

I would not sleep good hooked up to a mooring..Who knows what is on the bottom?
Ya get a written guarantee the mooring owner will buy ya a new boat if the rusty chain or shacle fails during the o'dark thirty squall blowing 50?

Did not think so.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:50   #6

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
I have found the bottom here in Key West to be less than perfect, it feels like some sand over rock. When the wind picks up to around 25 knts I've had to pick up and move away from other boats, and thats with a 300 lb anchor and 100 ft of 1/2 inch chain in 10 ft of water. My boat is big and boxy and catches the wind pretty good. I am presently tied to a 200 ft barge at a boatyard and that has it's own set of problems.
If I had a reasonable boat I would opt for a marina given all the stuff to do here in Key West.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:03   #7

I arrived yesterday and took a morring at fleming key Only problem is that it is a wet long ride in the dinghy to the marina, no big deal as the weather is supposed to warm to 80* this week
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 16:47   #8

Boat: Cal 39, Karma
You are probably right CSY man. I guess one has to pick their poison and hope for the best.
jimking100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 17:38   #9
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
I stayed for most of december and will be heading back after the 13th. I was behind wisteria island near the floating live bait shop. Dinghy dock at bight is $26 a week includes trash ,water and there's bike racks to lock up bikes. We stayed during some ferocious gales. There were plenty of boats that broke loose from moorings. One drifted into us at 4 am with gale winds and no moon. After taking out 2 stanchions and causing mayhem it ended up on tank island now renamed sunset cay or something. There were plenty of boats but still lots of room. Anybody know what the white bubble looking things are to the north?
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2010, 13:18   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Quote:
Originally Posted by forsailbyowner View Post
I stayed for most of december and will be heading back after the 13th. I was behind wisteria island near the floating live bait shop. Dinghy dock at bight is $26 a week includes trash ,water and there's bike racks to lock up bikes. We stayed during some ferocious gales. There were plenty of boats that broke loose from moorings. One drifted into us at 4 am with gale winds and no moon. After taking out 2 stanchions and causing mayhem it ended up on tank island now renamed sunset cay or something. There were plenty of boats but still lots of room. Anybody know what the white bubble looking things are to the north?
One of the local tour operators set them up... they are inflatable water slides and such
capngeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 14:09   #11

Boat: Camano Troll 31'
I may be going down to the Keys soon. I have only one question, where is the dinghy dock? I have heard "in the City marina, under the Fleming Key Bridge(at the fuel dock). I just don't want to motor all over the place for a couple of hours looking.
Old 11-11-2010, 14:14   #12
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1500 View Post
I just don't want to motor all over the place for a couple of hours looking.

Hey Don,

I can't answer the question, but I often use Google Earth to find the dinghy dock. Zoomed in it often becomes obvious with a little gaggle of greyish blobs

Hope it helps

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 14:16   #13

Boat: Hans Christian 33
The dinghy dock for the anchorage is in Key West Bight right in front of Turtle Krawls. The other dock for the moorings is in Garrison Bight.

EDIT: Don't forget to visit the dockmaster at the fuel dock to pay for the dock.

If you still don't know, the entrance to Key West Bight is to the right of the Coast Guard station if you are facing south.
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 14:34   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Don, there are two: One in Garrison Bight for the mooring field and one in Key West Bight for everyone else.

The City's moorings are as mentioned a bit pricey at $298/month, but as said above they do include dingy dock/pumpout/trash/and showers. The dingy ride in can get wet in a Norther, but otherwise are fairly benign. Opt for one further North and East if you are prone to rocking, as the charter fleet can throw quite a wash when they go by. The Garrison Bight dock is about a mile from Duval St, but many other businesses are closer.

If you opt to anchor, the best (IMHO) is just North of the sandbar North of Crhistmas (Wisteria) Island, and use the KW Bight Dingy Dock. Many bars restaurants and chandleries are right near the dock
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Key West.jpg
Views:	1391
Size:	273.6 KB
ID:	21048  
Old 11-11-2010, 14:56   #15
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post

If you opt to anchor, the best (IMHO) is just North of the sandbar North of Crhistmas (Wisteria) Island, and use the KW Bight Dingy Dock. Many bars restaurants and chandleries are right near the dock
Thanks for that piccy, George

I've saved that for when I go there.

Key West looks bigger than when I went there about 20 years ago. I wonder is it grown? Or is my memory / perception wrong? It looks huge.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, key west