Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2009, 08:39   #1

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Andros Island, Bahamas ?

Knowledge wanted. Anybody have first hand experience of the extreme south end of Andros Island?
FSMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 19:20   #2

Boat: 36' Gulfstar Trawler
do you mean south bight? if so, and if you are on a multihull, then you can get through south bight by playing the tides. i did it on a 32' trimaran.
Eventide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 13:33   #3

No, Eventide, I'm actually hunting for info about the extreme southern tip of the island, I'm not interested in going through from East to West.
Thanks though.
Also looking for info concerning going across the banks from Green Cay to the Exumas, possibly ending up around the Little Farmers Cay area.
Old 04-09-2009, 15:31   #4
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
I'm assuming from your boat that you're in a daggerboard Atlantic? Drawing 2 feet or so? From the Tongue of the Ocean, you could get into the southern areas by going through Dolly Cut just south of Saddleback Cay. There are good anchorages to the west of Saddleback and South Cay in 15 to 20 feet with fair protection from the N through SE. The reefs along the east to southeast of Andros are not high and won't protect you much if the wind & seas get up past 35 or so. You will still be limited in how much farther you can go west, as it gets very shallow with many shifting sand bores. By playing the tides, you should be able to explore up the inside of the reef, but it is quite narrow in places, rocky and lots of coral heads in the Kemps Bay area.

Do watch the weather, you don't want to get stuck there with a strong anything from the east -- a long lee shore and no way to quickly get to deep water. Plus, lots of fetch from the Tongue. Not much out there.

Green Cay to the Exumas is easy. Anchoring to the W/NW is probably your best bet (I'd rate holding as fair to good) if winds are from the E/SE, but I didn't like the looks of the anchoring on the east side. Get the Explorer charts if you don't already have them and you won't have a problem. There are uncharted coral heads, more so as you get south, but if you stay in the known channels and keep your watch alert, you'll be fine. I wouldn't do it at night.

By the way, if you have Navionics charts on your plotter, don't trust them! They are often, very wrong! Really, chart your progress on paper.

By the way, if you get to Little Farmers, do check out the Little Farmer's "Yacht Club" (so to speak). Roosevelt Nixon (yeah, what a name) is the proprietor. Very nice fellow, he'll work hard to make you happy and has some great fishing stories. He's got good mooring balls close to the cut in case you want to make an early dash to Exuma Sound. Lots of surge through the cut, and only fair holding, so we took a ball. Otherwise, there's good anchoring on the NW side of Little Farmers (just not in front of the air strip).

Hope this helps.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 18:19   #5

Intentional Drifter -

Thanks, just the kind of stuff I'm looking for. Our boat is what Chris White calls the Voyager series, draws 3&1/2 feet with the board up. We've been to the Exumas many times, but never cut across from Green Cay. We are also sort of old-fashioned, don't own a plotter. Paper charts and parallel rules never run out of electrons.

Thanks again,
Mike
Old 04-09-2009, 18:28   #6
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
A Voyager, cool! Do you know Surprise? They've got a Voyager 48 and have been hanging out in the Bahamas.

Beautiful boats -- one of my favorites!

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 20:27   #7

Intentional Drifter -

We're really happy with FreeStyle. She's a 45' Voyager and operates on the KISS principle. We were aboard a 48' in Georgetown years ago but I can't recall the name. I remember we did not like the 48' nearly as much as the 45' for whatever reason. We've had FreeStyle for about 10 years and the girl has done well by us.

I've been thinking about poking around the south end of Andros for a year or two, with an eye towards doing some fishing (See any lobster?) and also exploring towards the south and west as much as practical.

Quite a while ago a friend whose knowledge I respect told me about a way to go from Tongue of the Ocean to Florida, cutting across underneath Andros in water that carried a minimum of 10' (including heads). I never intended to do it so I didn't write it down and now I can't find him (Where are you, Nathan?). It was probably a fair ways south of Andros. I think my friend even used to run it at night, he was that confident of it.

I've found some interesting hints of a possible channel on older charts, but nothing definitive and nothing modern. Anyway, with any luck maybe we'll get to spend some time in the area in 2010. We "plan" to leave Florida for the Bahamas in Dec. or Jan.

Thanks again, Mike
Old 25-06-2010, 12:58   #8

Huge Bones down there! Nice folks Androsians. I will be sailing there in late Sept. See ya. I haven't been back since the mid 70's. Very much looking forward to the return trip. Thx. Buck
buckybax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2010, 17:05   #9

Boat: Beneteau First 42
You might want to check out Welcome to Seaworthy.com!
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2010, 18:01   #10

Boat: Dean 400, 40' catamaran, Daruma
We went across the bank with no problems at all. We did try to avoid the most ominus looking dark spots but all in all they were deep and harmless.
We are now kinda partial to Rum Cay and Sumner Point Marina.
dlockhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2010, 19:02   #11

dlockhart -
You went across the banks South of Andros? Can you tell me the beginning and ending positions? Any additional info?
Thanks,
Old 11-02-2016, 12:26   #12

Boat: O'Day 302
Re: Andros Island, Bahamas ?

Old Thread I know, FSMike - you ever get any more info or go for yourself?
the_alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 14:56   #13

Never went there myself (so far lol), life got in the way.

Did see where some folks in a cat went from the Florida Keys across the top of Cay Sal Bank under Andros into Tongue of the Ocean without stopping. Apparently they went over the top of Cay Sal due to unexpectedly strong currents. I got a series of waypoints from them which are probably stored in this computer somewhere.

If that's of interest let me know and I'll see if I can find them.
Old 11-02-2016, 18:39   #14

Boat: O'Day 302

I think that track is here:
Key West to Cay Sal South of Andros into Tongue of Ocean

Click image for larger version

Name:	<a title=Screen Shot 2016-02-11 at 9.36.51 PM.jpg Views: 512 Size: 280.4 KB ID: 118786" style="margin: 2px" />
the_alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 19:37   #15

Just found that post Alpine, thanks.

Tags
Bahamas