Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2016, 16:01   #1

Boat: Morgan 43
BVI to Miami

During May I'll have around 20 days to sail from BVI to Miami (south).

Any recommendation about the path and places to stop and spend a couple of days??
ricorrea2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 06:44   #2

Re: BVI to Miami

To be more specific with my question

Pros and cons of these paths

1- BVI - Turk & Caicos - Bahamas- Miami
2- BVI - north of Puerto Rico - DR - Cuba - Miami

We know winds and waves will be with us. However I'd like to have opinions from sailors who made both routes

THANKS!!
Old 06-04-2016, 18:43   #3

If you're starting from Tórtola, I'd suggest the south side of PR. From Crown Bay St. Thomas to the West end of PR and the Mona Passage is 24 hr @7 Knotts. It's much more comfortable of a journey, gives you this time of year a beam reach point through the Mona, and has some excellent stops off along the way should you desire. Bio-Bay in Vieques is one. Everybody should see bio bay. I also like Ponce and there's anything you may find that you need there after being out for you or the boat. Up TCI (Provo) after reaching the DR coast is a good 48 hrs. Once you reach the caicos banks, there's a huge current helping you along this time of year. Turtle Cove can be a little tricky to get into, but all you have to do is give crazy George a call at the marina and he will come get you. Give him a bottle of rum or two, and you'll have a friend for life.

North coast is rougher and depending on if something comes up weather wise, ducking into a place to hide is more difficult. This time of year however, there are a lot of Humpback whales off Silver Banks PR . It's pretty cool to see them and just bob around watching them. However, once you reach the DR cast, you can sail off the coast to Samana and see the Humpbacks too. Taking the north side may save you a day, but it won't be as comfortable. Either way north or south, make sure you check the weather before crossing the Mona. You will love it!! It's a great circumnavigation.

If you're sailing straight through like on a delivery, take the north side and just go. Save you three days easy.

Hope this helps..
Jsta_Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 10:42   #4

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

I did that a couple years ago, most of it solo in a 33-footer. Only one over night sail. South side of PR, then overnight sail to DR. Left Luperon early for Sandy Cay, Turks and Caicos. Across the T&C bank. Checked in to Bahamas at Mayaguana and up the Bahamas chain from there.

I was glad to see Louperon. Atwood Harbour was one of my favorite more isolated anchorages.

Having the pre-paid custom's document and local boater's option allowed me to check into PR by radio.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 10:51   #5

Boat: a sailing boat

My friends stopped at Turks every time they sail by. Looks like plenty of amazing blue water there.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 11:05   #6

No offense guys, but I avoid Luperon like the plague. For an overnight, or a place to get out of weather, It's fine. Other than that, I don't recommend it, and I call home Puerto Plata DR. y mi español es perfecto también. . Too many ladrones (theives) there.
Jsta_Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 05:44   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsta_Rebel View Post
If you're starting from Tórtola, I'd suggest the south side of PR. From Crown Bay St. Thomas to the West end of PR and the Mona Passage is 24 hr @7 Knotts. It's much more comfortable of a journey, gives you this time of year a beam reach point through the Mona, and has some excellent stops off along the way should you desire. Bio-Bay in Vieques is one. Everybody should see bio bay. I also like Ponce and there's anything you may find that you need there after being out for you or the boat. Up TCI (Provo) after reaching the DR coast is a good 48 hrs. Once you reach the caicos banks, there's a huge current helping you along this time of year. Turtle Cove can be a little tricky to get into, but all you have to do is give crazy George a call at the marina and he will come get you. Give him a bottle of rum or two, and you'll have a friend for life.

North coast is rougher and depending on if something comes up weather wise, ducking into a place to hide is more difficult. This time of year however, there are a lot of Humpback whales off Silver Banks PR . It's pretty cool to see them and just bob around watching them. However, once you reach the DR cast, you can sail off the coast to Samana and see the Humpbacks too. Taking the north side may save you a day, but it won't be as comfortable. Either way north or south, make sure you check the weather before crossing the Mona. You will love it!! It's a great circumnavigation.

If you're sailing straight through like on a delivery, take the north side and just go. Save you three days easy.

Hope this helps..

It helps a lot. Thanks for the others comments too.

You know, there are very few literature for this passage, all readings explain the passage from West to East. By the way, I'm reading "The Thornless Path..." backwards, lol.

My western point known is Culebra (Culebrita is "The Most"). I've never been to Vieques.

In order not to make this route longer, I should leave Vieques to Mayaguez, be careful with the weather, and head to Puerto Plata, then T&C. Am I right?

Going through the Bahamas, are many routes to go. I take your advice of Turtle Cove, any other point to go? What is the best spot to start the crossing of the channel? I'm going to Key Biscanye area, Bimini Sands?
Old 05-05-2016, 20:16   #8

Boat: Nordhavn 40 Trawler Hinckley Bermuda 40 Yawl

My mates and I sailed from Tortola to Ft. Lauderdale back in October 2014. You can read my travelogue here:

Florida to USVI/BVI and Back: A Travelogue with Photos
Kim Petersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 20:56   #9

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricorrea2002 View Post
It helps a lot. Thanks for the others comments too.

You know, there are very few literature for this passage, all readings explain the passage from West to East. By the way, I'm reading "The Thornless Path..." backwards, lol.

My western point known is Culebra (Culebrita is "The Most"). I've never been to Vieques.

In order not to make this route longer, I should leave Vieques to Mayaguez, be careful with the weather, and head to Puerto Plata, then T&C. Am I right?

Going through the Bahamas, are many routes to go. I take your advice of Turtle Cove, any other point to go? What is the best spot to start the crossing of the channel? I'm going to Key Biscanye area, Bimini Sands?
Very little literature because most don't make it.. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
miami