Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2010, 15:45   #16

Boat: 36' 2001 Fortuna Island Spirit Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by KWICK View Post
The problem my "VISA" expire next week...........
Go to Canada...
PyotrBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 15:47   #17

Quote:
Help me to take the decision, my plan was to sail to Sint Maarten but everybody say to me it's too late, and Monday expire my american three months visa period. So i think to sail to Europe and enjoy tha boat there, i 'dont want leave the boat anywhere. I live on her.
If you don't want cold, then go south. Head for the Caribbean, lots of hidey holes here. Just stay somewhere near a place you can pull out if a hurricane comes. St Kitts has a boat yard with space, and being the low season there is always a place to stay on land if a hurricane comes.... Or head out of the hurricane belt to the south if you sail fast...
Old 10-07-2010, 17:19   #18

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyotrBee View Post
If you don't want cold, then go south. Head for the Caribbean, lots of hidey holes here. Just stay somewhere near a place you can pull out if a hurricane comes. St Kitts has a boat yard with space, and being the low season there is always a place to stay on land if a hurricane comes.... Or head out of the hurricane belt to the south if you sail fast...
This could be best for me, was in my plan, but i make many works to the boat and, here everybody say don't sail to south is danger in this period, i have friend in Sint Maarten, this is my final location, i live aboard.
KWICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 18:25   #19

Boat: Currently boatless
If you came to the U.S. on a B-2 visa, you may apply for an extension (up to 240 days, I believe). But I gather that you may not have enough time before your visa expires to do so. In that case, as others have already suggested, you should be able to go to Canada and reapply for a US visa.
Old 10-07-2010, 19:23   #20

Quote:
This could be best for me, was in my plan, but i make many works to the boat and, here everybody say don't sail to south is danger in this period, i have friend in Sint Maarten, this is my final location, i live aboard.
Yes but those that say don't go south, don't have to leave the US so they have little understanding of your options. I've been there, done that with the US too....

St Martin is fine - the only issue is hurricanes.. this year is supposed to be an active season and St Martin is so overcrowded with boats Im not sure you'll be able to find a safe place....

I can't say St Kitts is a hurricane hole, because its certainly not (although there is Dieppe Bay where a lot of boats have ridden out a lot of hurricanes). But we barely have any boats here especially in this season, and we DO have a boat yard with a lift and there is space currently.... Granted many say better to stay in the water, but the island around these parts dont have any inlets or mangroves to tie up to.... so I'd prefer to haul out and stay on land in a proper structure...thats my plan if it looks like we'll get hit. I'm insured, and my life is more valuable.
Old 10-07-2010, 19:25   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
If you came to the U.S. on a B-2 visa, you may apply for an extension (up to 240 days, I believe). But I gather that you may not have enough time before your visa expires to do so. In that case, as others have already suggested, you should be able to go to Canada and reapply for a US visa.
It takes a long time to get an extension, and they are very nasty about it. I'm a US citizen, and my wife and I were in the US about 5 years back and she was pregnant. We had some court hearings that we had to stay in the US for... they denied an extension to her visa despite the fact that we had already been married 5 years, and we had no intention of residing in the US, and only wanted to stay to take care of the legal matters... Instead she had to leave and fly pregnant back home....
Old 10-07-2010, 20:35   #22

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyotrBee View Post
It takes a long time to get an extension, and they are very nasty about it. I'm a US citizen, and my wife and I were in the US about 5 years back and she was pregnant. We had some court hearings that we had to stay in the US for... they denied an extension to her visa despite the fact that we had already been married 5 years, and we had no intention of residing in the US, and only wanted to stay to take care of the legal matters... Instead she had to leave and fly pregnant back home....
Where is she come from? One question if i go to international water and came back to New York can i re-applay visa?
KWICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 03:51   #23

Russia, but they treat everyone poorly. Intl waters won't work, you have to enter another country first to qualify as a leave. There are also rules for how many days you've been in the US per year...
Old 11-07-2010, 07:34   #24

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
I am sure some Brit's or Continentals can verify that if you enter or leave the USA by private recreational vessel, you must have a US B1/B2 visitors visa. That requires an application process (can be done on the internet) and a visit to a US Consulate/Embassy for processing and interview (biometrics and all that stuff).
- - Mariners or Crew visa's only apply to commercial shipping these days and are not less trouble.
- - So the best advice is cross the border into Canada (checking first to be sure you can arrive without a "pre-visa" for a private recreational vessel. Normally, (not always) the presence of a USA valid visa will get you into most other countries on a tourist visa. If necessary store the boat in Canada for the winter and fly home as you mentioned you might do.
- - And there are two French Islands up there just south of Newfoundland.
- - Are there any Canadians about that can give a suggestion about how difficult it is to enter Canada with a private recreational vessel? versus the USA.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 07:56   #25

I would go right now to Halifax , or close enough , and then cross as soon as possible to the Azores .
It's crazy to go down from NY to the Caribbean now when planning an Atlantic crossing.
From Halifax to the Azores it's about 1700 miles and you can check the stats and history on Hurricanes to see that North of 45N your chances of being hit by one are pretty small.
I've done that crossing , both ways , in the peak of Summer. Eye on the barometer and the forecasts , some extra spare diesel , a little luck and you should be alright.
Of course , there's the alternative of waiting out , storing the boat and whatnot , but the way I see it , if you have to go , you'd better get going.
J Ventura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:09   #26

Boat: Currently boatless
One other option to consider is Bermuda. The passage is short enough (~1 week) that if you get a good forecast with no hurricanes in sight you should be able to cross with acceptable risk. Hurricanes in Bermuda are supposedly relatively infrequent, and if one approaches you should be able to get your boat hauled. In November you can decide whether to go east to the Azores or south to the Caribbean. Others should comment about the logistics of spending the summer in Bermuda.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:18   #27

I forgot about Bermuda. That's an excellent choice for him.

Also maybe a far north Bahamian island? I don't know how far they are from NY though.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:47   #28

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 31 - Cielo Azul
I second Bermuda as a destination, stay there until Nov.1, then head south.
Tom
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 13:06   #29

Boat: rhodes,seafarer,28
If you are going to spain,going south makes no sense at all.You are bucking the gulf stream going to Bermuda or you will probibly take the ICW a lot of the way if you head for the carabbean.Eather way you will need to backtrack in the fall, back to where you are now,just to head for Europe.If you dont want to go to Canada,pick your weather and head directly for the Azores.
capt.bobfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 14:35   #30

Boat: Catalina 470
Summertime Crossing (US to EU) of the Atlantic IS done quite often....

KWICK,
Please forgive my bluntness, but since I assume English is not your native language, I wish to be absolutely clear....

1) Your posting of this question, here on this forum, regarding the "possiblility" of crossing the Atlantic from New York to the EU in July, gives the impression that you are NOT truly experienced, NOT prepared, and NOT properly equipped for this voyage.....

While the opposite may be true, the impression I get is that you (and your boat) are NOT ready for an Atlantic crossing......notwithstanding what you wrote about your experiences crossing the Atlantic (which I assume was as "crew", not as captain of your own boat???)

2) The advice from others regarding Canada, seems to be good advice.....although, I have NO knowledge of immigration / Visa's / etc....

3) Now, here's the contradictary part.....

a) Crossing the Atlantic (from US to EU) in July IS VERY possible, and IS done more than many might realize.....

b) I, myself, having crossed the Atlantic undersail quite a few times (the first was in the pre-GPS days, 30+ years ago), can tell you from my own personal experiences, that making an "eastbound crossing" (from US to EU) in July is VERY do-able!!!

My most recent eastbound crossing, I sailed out of South Florida June 27, 2007, for Horta, Faial, Azores......and had quite a few days of gale force winds and 12' - 15'+ seas, from continental Low Pressure centers, traveling offshore and then out East and NE across the Atlantic.....
I did not get "typical" crossing weather until about July 7th or so.....and that year (2007) the normal "Bermuda / Azores High" didn't fully build-in until about July 12th - 14th.....
I sailed about 3150 - 3200 miles on that leg, in just under 20 days......and then the next week headed for Gibraltar, arriving there end of July 2007....

c) And, right now July 11, 2010 there are a couple of Lows out over the Western Central Atlantic that are causing some Gale force winds and heavy seas, for those sailing across the Atlantic, right now, this month, from US to the EU......

Just a couple hours ago, I heard, on the HF-SSB, a boat near 36.5* N and 66*W getting "bounced around" (his words!) since last night.....(they're in a bit of a cold eddy / opposite current, at the moment)....

d) If you're an experienced ocean sailor, and your vessel is well found and equipped.....and IF you do keep an eye on the weather, there is NO reason that you cannot cross the Atlantic (from US to EU) in July.....
I've done, others have done it, and still others are doing it right now....

It is these continental Lows that spur up Gales offshore that are the most common type of adverse weather in the North Atantic in early - mid summer.....as long as you stay above 30 degrees North, you're not likely to be plagued with "Tropical Weather" in June and July......

e) I even know of a guy on a Pearson 424 who sailed "westbound" from Gibraltar to Maderia to US (possibly via Bermuda??) in June and July.....
I think this was 2007 or 2008.....
Yes, this is NOT that common, but it IS do-able....

f) The reason I'm posting all of this info, persoanl experiences, etc. is to make the point that a July crossing from New York to the EU is VERY do-able......
But, I'd still not recommend that KWICK undertake such a voyage, for my reasons stated above (in #1).....

Fair winds....

John
s/v Annie Laurie
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new york, Spain