Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2014, 20:17   #1

Boat: McIntosh 47
St Croix Anchorages

We have a couple weeks out of Tortola and want to check out St Croix. We understand the passage can be lumpy, no problem. Seems there a few anchorages and little discussion of overnight moorings. Has anyone been there recently that can suggest best locations to anchor or catch a ball?
Christiansted is crowded and there are mixed comments on Gallows Bay being open to anchor. Guides say you can anchor of west end Buck Island if you get permit, but this does not look like very good protection. Anchoring near the Yacht Club in Teague Bay is mentioned. Another is off Frederiksted, but again, not much protection. Salt River looks tricky and not a good base for daily excursions. Could use some help. Thanks!
Gone Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 05:09   #2

Boat: Kadey Krogen 42
Re: St Croix Anchorages

SJ,
I know that this will not give you an answer that you are looking for but...

I think that you have a pretty good handle on the anchorages at St Croix and I would suggest that you spend your couple of weeks in the British and northern US Virgin Islands. I have been there a few times and will be going to St Croix in April to sail a boat back to Maine. The northern islands are small with lots of good anchorages and shore activities which can eat up two weeks in a flash. I am not too excited about St Thomas because it is big and populated with cruise ships and the like but St. John is a gem. Anchor and rent a jeep for a tour and hiking in the park, stop at out of the way, non tourist, spots for lunch or a drink. All of the British islands are fun. Just try to get away from the crowds. Stay north and don't bother with the St. Croix passage.
AnsleyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2014, 16:12   #3

Thanks, Ansley. You're right - didn't answer, but appreciate your views on St John's! You hit the mark. It appears few cruise to STX. The reason for our interest is to check on STX as a possible 'homebase'. Nice properties at a reasonable cost. Rental potential while we are sailing and a place to return to (with less snow than the great Midwest!).

Can anyone comment on the anchorage west of Buck or near Yacht Club in Teague Bay? Are these open? Are there overnight moorings we have missed? Thanks!
Old 13-02-2014, 16:23   #4
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

We anchored up Teague Bay by the Yacht Club. The folks there were very friendly and didn't mind us using their dinghy dock. We rented a car and did a couple days of sight-seeing from that location.

West of Buck Island is a day anchorage only in my opinion. We spent the better part of a day there and did some snorkeling. There are some moorings out on the east end of the island for snorkeling, too.
Old 13-02-2014, 18:53   #5

We spent 2 weeks there 2 years ago. We started at the "gov't Moorings" that were on the port side coming in thru the east channel. Due to some swells that curved around the point it was very uncomfortable. We then went to Jones Marine where Kim Jones gave us the end of the "T" dock for $25/ night (42 ft boat) including water and electricity. Very convenient location as you are at the end of the boardwalk next to seaplane base. Rental cars were right there about a block away. It was protected from swells.
maine50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2014, 19:46   #6

Have you access to the Cruising Guides. IIRC, the conditions and harbors were pretty well described. Is there more details you feel you need?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2014, 14:57   #7

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ2581 View Post
Thanks, Ansley. You're right - didn't answer, but appreciate your views on St John's! You hit the mark. It appears few cruise to STX. The reason for our interest is to check on STX as a possible 'homebase'. Nice properties at a reasonable cost. Rental potential while we are sailing and a place to return to (with less snow than the great Midwest!).

Can anyone comment on the anchorage west of Buck or near Yacht Club in Teague Bay? Are these open? Are there overnight moorings we have missed? Thanks!

The anchorage in Teague is well protected behind the reef. Make sure you do understand how to get in, out and around the reefs in the area. I do not recall public moorings in Teague but I'm usually only there to race in the regatta. There was great holding in about 15' of water. Duggan's Reef restaurant is right there and a favorite place of mine to eat. Otherwise nothing else is close by that area. Most visits I'm a hired skipper and usually end up in Cstad for convenience of guests.

As to your comments regarding rental properties, if you've not done your homework, please do. The enormous refinery that was a major employer on the island closed recently causing a ripple effect through the economy and a large exodus of well paid persons. In turn that is causing a glut of housing. Someday this situation may turn around and the property values may rebound. It's a beautiful island with gorgeous beaches and excellent diving. As a home base for a sailboat, it's 40 miles to the nearest destination in generally rough conditions. Perhaps I misunderstood your comments. Best wishes to you.
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2014, 15:56   #8

This is why we hang out on this forum! Thanks Maine for the tip on jones marina docking - definitely not In the guide books. Thanks HUD for your experience with Buck Island - just what we thought.

Rubikoop, what can I say? I read the refinery was there,we were surprised at the property prices but did not know of the very recent (January!) closing of the refinery! Almost 2,200 good jobs lost on the island and local govt laying off employees. Wow! Will let thy soak and think about what it means to us as we look for a base in the islands. Thanks a bunch!
Old 14-02-2014, 19:13   #9

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch
St Croix Anchorages

No worries. I'm sure you would have figured out why the economy was in a downward spiral on your own. That refinery left an enormous void in the tax base that has greatly impacted all of the USVI residents. I'm not a real estate speculator but St Croix would not be someplace I would be investing in until I believed there was a potential for recovery. Is there a reason why you are looking at St Croix and not St Thomas or St John?
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchorages