Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2014, 06:10   #181
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: azores 2014 how safe is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Uh oh, you've done it now Alex. Americans will now invade the Azores. We don't need no stinkin reason! but this is a perfect one. We will eat, eat, eat. That's what we do!

Now, how do we get around this pesky Schadenfreude Agreement thingy?
2 months in morocco,and a month in gibraltar feeding the(saltys relatives) monkeys should do it
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 06:14   #182
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
It's called "Dipping the Eye"

Dipping the eye allows boats whose dock lines share the same piling, cleat, or bollard with yours to depart when they wish, without disturbing the dock lines of remaining boats. To dip the eye, pass the loop (eye) of your line up through the eye of the other boat’s line, and then drop it over the bollard, pile, or cleat. Though the eye of your line is above the other boat’s mooring line, its position is below theirs; when the other boat is ready to leave, their line will easily lift over yours. Since your line is below theirs, the other boater simply takes their line in and departs.
Exactly, happy you picked it up because I couldn't find the words nor picture

Note: Also, you can yourself leave at any time because you just reverse the procedure and off you go.

In Holland it is custom to raft up pointing the other way than your neighbour so that both have privacy in their cockpits
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 06:14   #183
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Yes, if you need a cave to stay in at Gibraltar, please call my cousin Lucy.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 06:49   #184
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: azores 2014 how safe is it?

Re the sailing from Newfoundland...
This is definitely NOT the time of year... there's a guy here who did the trip and got in the week before me.. 70days, knockdowns and thrashed blown out sails.. waves ripped of everything on his decks, lockers the lot.. its a 37ft odd steel boat.. of which he's very happy as a plastic fantastic would have wipe out in the conditions he faced...
Personally I'd run S at the start of the season then jump off around the NY area well S of the ice line...
But then I'm chicken...

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 07:03   #185
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
But then I'm chicken...
Chickens get across the road.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 07:49   #186
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Listening to all the raft up stories makes me nervous. Are there any anchorages?
casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 08:18   #187
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Personally I'd run S at the start of the season then jump off around the NY area well S of the ice line...
But then I'm chicken...
Personally, Id head down the coast to just off the Bahama Mama Bank and then head east
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 08:34   #188

My dum, given the extreme cold this winter would you expect the ice line to extend further than the pilot charts indicate?
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 09:35   #189

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
My dum, given the extreme cold this winter would you expect the ice line to extend further than the pilot charts indicate?
Only where it has been colder, and that is in the North America. Other places like The Arctic, Siberia and Scandinavia have been warmer..
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 09:42   #190
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
given the extreme cold this winter would you expect the ice line to extend further than the pilot charts indicate?
See the “Departure from Normal Concentration Charts” at the Canadian Ice Service website.
https://www.ec.gc.ca/glaces-ice/?lan...BB-1#departure
https://www.ec.gc.ca/glaces-ice/?lang=En&n=B6C654BB-1

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 09:42   #191

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: azores 2014 how safe is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
Only where it has been colder, and that is in the North America. Other places like The Arctic, Siberia and Scandinavia have been warmer..
This looks like proof that we don't have global warming. Like the internet, this is another of Al's inventions.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 09:45   #192

Boat: Catalina 470

idylours,
When you get to/near 50* latitude (like Newfoundland), you're too far north for my warm weather blood!!

1) But, seriously if you're heading across the Atlantic from Newfoundland, typically you'd head Southerly until you get to some less harsh weather, and then head east...
Quote:
Originally Posted by idylours View Post
has anyone have any experience getting to the azores from newfoundland, ie best time of year, sail time,
But, this is not an absolute, of course....as it all depends on WHEN you are departing and WHERE you are planning on landing on the other side...

If you're heading for the Med and planning on leaving in early/mid summer (June or July?), then the typical advice is good...
{In my opinion, May is a bit too early to attempt this passage from that far north...the seas would be rough and the Lows would be too intense...the good news is that from that far east, you have a much shorter passage to the Azores and Europe, and you can afford to leave even later than most...}

The Lows tracking along the Fronts that come off N. America, can be severe even in June, at the higher latitudes...so the usual advice would be leave after a frontal passage and head south with the wind on or abaft your beam, and then once you've gotten below 40*N (possibly down to 39* or even lower) and/or have decent SW or West winds....then head easterly...

If you were to try a direct (great circle) route from Newfoundland to Azores, 3/4's of the ~1200nm passage would be above 40*N...

You do not need to worry much about "tropical" weather systems, even in June/July that far north....as they're not very common and will be predicted well in advance...

2) And, while I'd usually agree with Boatman61, I don't think you need to backtrack about 1000 miles WSW to NY, to start a passage east...
(I think he meant run south until at the latitude of NY, and then head off east from there???)
So, just watch the weather patterns in May and look for a good pattern in June (or early July), and plan on leaving with a good forecast to get south a few days (after a frontal passage), sometime in June....
{FYI, I left S. Florida on June 26th, heading for Gibraltar, stopping in Horta, Azores....and never a worry about tropical weather/hurricanes, and I left from 1800nm SW of Newfoundland.....I just kept an eye out for any tropical development...}

3) Have a look at the details I posted here...

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1496824

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1497321

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1497304

4) Finally, if you're doing this in your Catalina 30, please have your rigging (and chainplates), etc. inspected, and be prepared for some heavy weather....
You might get lucky and have a very benign trip, but you may also be unlucky and get bit in the butt by a deepening Low!!!

And, take extra care to NOT clutter your decks with junk, nor jerry jugs!!!
(especially on smaller boats, designed as more coastal cruisers, many sailors tend to compensate for the lack of fuel capacity with jerry jugs, etc. and that exasperates the problems with stanchion strength, etc...)

Good luck and Fair winds...

John
s/v Annie Laurie
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 09:51   #193
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by casual View Post
Listening to all the raft up stories makes me nervous. Are there any anchorages?

nope, Schenegn agreement prevents you from anchoring, rafting and med mooring for you

dave
Old 25-03-2014, 01:17   #194
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

found this on noonsite re passages from the frozen north to the azores.

Nova Scotia, Halifax to Azores

By doina — last modified Jan 12, 2009 04:30 PM
Published: 2009-01-12 16:30:23
Topics: Atlantic Crossing
Countries: Canada , Azores

I am planning to sail from Halifax to the Azores next year and to winter in the Azores before crossing to the Med. There appears to be no perfect time to cross it being winter in Nova Scotia until June and hurricane season from then until November. The best would seem to be August or September if one can find a hurricane-free window to get across the Gulf Stream. Does that seem like the right time to go or would you suggest something else?

The best time to sail direct is June or even rarely July when the risk of hurricanes is still very low early in the summer. Normally you should have W winds... but a friend sailed in late August/early September this year from Greenland to Azores (similar route) AND had strong SE winds all the way! Bad luck, obviously.

The longer but maybe easier route would be to sail down the east coast, then cross to the E. Caribbean (Virgins) in November... spend winter in Caribbean and cross from there to Azores in May or June.

Jimmy Cornell, noonsite

Robert Groves adds

We sailed our motorless Junk Rig Schooner, Easy Go, from Gaspe, Quebec to the Azores during the summer of 2007. We departed Gaspe on June 15 for a cruise of the Gulf of Saint Lawrence and Prince Edward Island. We passed through the Canso Lock, between Nova Scotia and Cape Breton Island just in time for the July 1 Canada Day celebrations in Port Hawkesbury. We got away from the Canso Straits on July 2 and made a very slow 23 day crossing to Flores. Light and contrary winds dogged the crossing. We went on to Faial, Pico and to anchor in Praia da Vitoria on August 13. The winds then went east for two months. Friends took three weeks beating against the wind to get to the Algarve. We have stayed in Praia for a very nice winter so far. Highly recommend laying up in Praia.

Yacht Commonground adds

I am planning to go to Europe from NS next summer (2009). I will leave from Lunneburg end of June or beginning of July on a 35' engineless gaff cutter.

I did the same trip once in 1995 from Halifax to Flores on a 33 foot cutter. It took us 13 days. We steered SW until getting to 40 N then steered east until getting there. We'd left on the 8th of July and had to contend with Barry, the second post tropical storm of the season. We were hove to for the night of the 5th day (give or take a day) out. We got no problems on the crossing.

Finding a weather window to leave should not be a big problem especially with the good forecast available on the internet.

We are planning to stay in Flores and Santa Maria and cross to Ireland in August, before going south again at the end of September to spend the winter in the Med.
Old 26-03-2014, 16:15   #195
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

updated info re sy poker face missing in the atlantic

Dutch sailor missing in the Atlantic - Page 4 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

To make things somewhat easier, we have opened a special temporary e-mail account. This account can be made public and may be used in e.g. Facebook postings, on fora and at any other occasion where there is a need for a response mail address.

The address is sypokerfacemissing@gmail.com and will be open as long as the search for Sietse and his boat Pokerface continues.
Timo

Tags
Azores