Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2014, 23:00   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator
GME EPIRB Recall.

This is in Australia. May affect somebody on here perhaps.

http://www.gme.net.au/public/pdf/bro...fetyrecall.pdf

Coops.
Old 22-07-2014, 00:14   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: GME EPIRB Recall.

Hey Coops, I owe you one! We have just such a unit, and I was not aware of the recall. I've e-mailed them for advice on replacement, and await their response.

Thanks!

Jim
Old 22-07-2014, 00:19   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Great. Was worth posting.

Coops.
Old 22-07-2014, 01:45   #4

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Thanks coops, also got a couple of these. Better check my seriel numbers.
Old 22-07-2014, 01:57   #5
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

See also thread from back in late March.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1502960
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2014, 03:04   #6

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Thanks Wot, missed that one, but appreciated non the less. Surprising Amsa hasnt alerted by post or email anybody effected as they have all the registered seriel numbers and owners on file.
Old 22-07-2014, 04:39   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
Thanks Wot, missed that one, but appreciated non the less. Surprising Amsa hasnt alerted by post or email anybody effected as they have all the registered seriel numbers and owners on file.
LOL, you have higher hopes for the guvmit wallas than me. I do note however, they have the recall alert on their homepage so I guess that is something.

Thankfully my unit is not affected (higher serial number)

Yours???
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 22-07-2014, 05:07   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

When I worked in the chandlery, AMSA actually rang us because they could not read something on the form that we had to send in when somebody buys one. When I eventually found it, it was nearly six months earlier. They said that they were a bit behind. The moral? Don't buy one and go sailing. Wait six months.

Coops.
Old 23-07-2014, 01:11   #9

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Well, I e-mailed GME and this is what happened (all e-mails so far) note the inverted sequence... ie, read from the bottom up. Sorry 'bout that!

I'd be interested in what others think of the idea that an EPIRB "expires" after six years. Seems odd to me... why, it doesn't even have a SIM card in it!

Dear James,

EPIRBs have a finite lifespan. That is, once the expiry date that is laser etched into the beacon is reached, it must be serviced or replaced. It is no longer considered in service. With this in mind, GME EPIRBs have 6.5 years of battery life when they leave our factory. The extra half year is intended to account for the time taken in transport to the store, and then time before it is sold to a consumer, leaving the consumer with the full expected 6 year product life.

GME does not perform battery replacement, however we do offer an exchange program whereby EPIRBs that are approaching the end of their battery life can be swapped for an exchange unit for a fee. Alternatively users can purchase a new EPIRB from their preferred marine supplier.

The MT600 which you have been offered is a new model which is about to be launched. The offer of $120 is lower than the cost of an Exchange Unit, and will give you the benefit of new technology and a 10 year battery life.

Best regards,

Brad

Sent: Wednesday, 23 July 2014 4:45 PM
To: Recall
Subject: Re: EPIRB recall

Brad, thanks for the prompt response. However, I am confused by your statement that my EPIRB has "expired". Yes, the battery replacement date was indeed October 2013, but I was waiting until ready to depart for New Caledonia. The boat was not in offshore usage during the interim. None the less, if I now replace the battery I can not understand how the unit is "expired", nor how that excludes it from your recall program. Many of the EPIRBs from the subject period are older than mine.

Finally, when I go to your website, I find no model MT 600 listed. What exactly are you proposing to sell me at your quoted price of 120 dollars (Australian?)

Respectfully,

James Cate

To: James Cate ; Recall <recall@gme.net.au>
Sent: Wednesday, 23 July 2014 4:18 PM
Subject: RE: EPIRB recall

Dear James,

Unfortunately your EPIRB has expired, meaning it is no longer compliant. It was due to have been exchanged or replaced before October 2013.

As an act of good will, GME would like to offer you a brand new EPIRB at half of the Recommended Retail Price, $120inc GST. This latest model EPIRB is the MT600 which features a full 10 year battery life, plus numerous technological advances.

In order to receive this offer, we require your expired EPIRB to be returned. Please package your EPIRB appropriately (bubble wrap and a sturdy box) and return it along with your full contact details to:

GME Recall
17 Gibbon Road
Winston Hills NSW 2153

Upon receipt of your expired EPIRB, a GME representative will contact you to finalise the transaction.

Best regards,

Brad

Sent: Tuesday, 22 July 2014 5:12 PM
To: Recall
Subject: EPIRB recall

Sirs,

I have a model mt-400, s/n 70426415. This appears to fall within the recall s/n range, so please advise me re replacement. We are currently northbound on the East Coast of Australia, Port Stephens at the moment, with a planned stopover on the Clarence in a few days, then on to the Gold Coast/Southport area. We will be sailing to New Caledonia after that, and surely need to replace the unit before departure.

Thanks for your help.

James Cate s/v Insatiable II
Old 23-07-2014, 01:17   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Sounds like a good deal anyway. It would cost more than that to get a new battery put in to most Epirbs sold in Australia.

I think that the "expiry" date that they talk about is a Government one. Same as flares, five years in Australia, but I think it is six in the states for the same brand. So, if your EPIRB or flares have "expired", it does not mean that they will not work, just that you get fined because they are no longer "legal".

Coops.
Old 23-07-2014, 02:23   #11

Jim,
AFAIK, the "expiry date" is technically the date the battery life is extinguished. If you send it to GME before that date, they "service" the unit which really means they toss it in the crusher and give you a another unit (ie another serial number but with the same hex ID) which of course, now has a full battery life.

If the product has gone out of production, they upgrade to the current most equivalent model. Considering the march of technology these days, many units will be outdated by the seven year battery life span.

If you had sent it back before last October, they would have replaced it with a current (and good) MT-400 and charged you the service fee (normally half the retail price).

So it seems to me that you will be getting a good deal with the MT-600.

But if you aren't happy with that, buy the one you really want, then return the MT-400 (+$120) and when the MT-600 turns up, I will take it off your hands for $150. Great deal for both of us.
Old 23-07-2014, 02:28   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
I'd be interested in what others think of the idea that an EPIRB "expires" after six years. Seems odd to me... why, it doesn't even have a SIM card in it!

This is the way of the future my friend.
And the next gen units will have a SIM, blue tooth and a sh*&^ load of stuff we don't know about.

They might even make you a cup of tea and a piece of toast while you wait for the SAR team to turn up.

Tags
cal, epirb, recall