Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2012, 15:42   #1

Boat: Seapiper 35
S/V Miranda

Does anyone know what happened to S/V Miranda from Heidelberg, Germany, and its crew? National Geographics has aired a series by Dr. Robert Ballard entitled the "Alien Deep". One of the shows is called the "Wrecks of the Abyss". It features the deep water, greater than 1500 feet, exploration of the popular shipping routes of the Agean Sea looking for wrecks dating back to early AD and BC time periods. They particularily chose the deep water since the surface would not have been disturbed by drag nets. In one of their scans they found a modern day vessel, S/V Miranda. The vessel was sitting up right, fully rigged, full sails, everything appearing in order, deck equipment in place. The only thing I noticed was a missing prop and shaft. The show was not interested in the modern day wreck and showed it out of interest and went on with their theme.

Herman Diebler
S/V Grendel

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0660.JPG
Views:	2569
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	46766

Name:	IMG_0659.JPG
Views:	5231
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	46767

Name:	IMG_0664.JPG
Views:	4125
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	46768

Name:	IMG_0658.JPG
Views:	4892
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	46769
hgd137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 16:14   #2

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"
Re: S/V Miranda

Wow! Very eerie. Thanks for posting that.

I'm sorry I don't know the history of the boat. . . .
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2012, 12:25   #3

I just saw this and it looked very weird!
Any idea how deep the water was there?
it looks like it simply sank straight down!
jflongwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2012, 12:57   #4

Boat: Morgan OutIslander 28

Thanks for postin.
It has reef in the sails. Can meen it was hard wether or night then it sunk.
I dont see any rudder or maybe its hard to the side and its the tiller sticking out over the side.

Caribesurf...
Old 25-09-2012, 22:00   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
Wow! Very eerie. Thanks for posting that.

I'm sorry I don't know the history of the boat. . . .
The YouTube video can be found Here:

Skip to 3:35 if you don't want to watch the whole show :-)
geoffphuket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2012, 04:00   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, jflongwell, and geoffphuket

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2012, 09:38   #7

I saw that show also. I have seen several of Bob's shows. I just can't imagine that he would not check into this. It is a privately owned boat, so there would be insurance co.'s involved, etc. It may be that it is an insurance scam, they sunk the boat on purpose. I also thought it was odd that it was just 'sitting' on the ocean floor with the sail still up, etc. I am not a 'sailing' person, not really in to boats. I have just followed Ballard's career since he found the Titanic. After he found the Titanic we hear that at that time he was actually looking for a ship for the military and no one knew he was also looking for the Titanic. So, in my mind, he is checking into the 'Miranda'. We will see what happens!! This is the only post that came up when I did an internet search for the 'Miranda'.
poshajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2013, 04:10   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgd137 View Post
Does anyone know what happened to S/V Miranda from Heidelberg, Germany, and its crew? National Geographics has aired a series by Dr. Robert Ballard entitled the "Alien Deep". One of the shows is called the "Wrecks of the Abyss". It features the deep water, greater than 1500 feet, exploration of the popular shipping routes of the Agean Sea looking for wrecks dating back to early AD and BC time periods. They particularily chose the deep water since the surface would not have been disturbed by drag nets. In one of their scans they found a modern day vessel, S/V Miranda. The vessel was sitting up right, fully rigged, full sails, everything appearing in order, deck equipment in place. The only thing I noticed was a missing prop and shaft. The show was not interested in the modern day wreck and showed it out of interest and went on with their theme.

Herman Diebler
S/V Grendel

Attachment 46766

Attachment 46767

Attachment 46768

Attachment 46769
Hi, I just signed up here as I too have just watched Bob ballards nat' geo doco' on youtube. I have just sent an email to a heidelberg yacht registry called "deltaquest group" to try and dig up some answers on the "miranda". I await their response and will notify you guys if and when I hear from them. Also in an effort to add something to this forum you may all like to watch a video i have made and put up on youtube. my youtube channel name is "FlivverFord" and I have made a video about a 23 foot yacht that my dutch grandfather (my opa) built in the early 70's. He built a Waratah twin bilge keel masthead sloop (say that quickly 3 times!!) and I have since built several model replicas, one of which is also a video on my youtube channel...enjoy!
djaustralia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2013, 04:43   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, djaustralia.

Thanks for your input.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2013, 07:32   #10

Wow, pretty weird looking. Makes you wonder just how many other vessels are sitting on the bottom somewhere that will be exposed one day.

That one can't have been down there that long at the time of the photos, I wouldn't think.

Interesting, thanks.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 21:11   #11

Found this info... Must be the guy who had the first Miranda, He now has the SV Miranda 2, though I could be way off but it seems to fit, Even has a pick of him and Miranda 2

SV Miranda, Thomas Ruest CH via sailmail | Windpilot Blog

Translation is as follows:
December 2010 target, position: 13-03 48-40 North and West,
we will get this Sailmailear Peter Foerthmann, thank you
very much for your good advice in the last two days. That
the manufacturer says of himself that he was always just a click
away, there is already a unusual ideal after-sales-service.The
head of GPS, is - please forgive the figure that bastard -
a shining star on the dark firmament not holding the promise.
Meanwhile, we have the paddle vertically what has improved the
control signals. For the slip clutch at Radadapter we have made a
mess. We Simply take a c-clamp where the wing nut (or is it -nuts?)
not correctly want to bite. And, behold, it is about. But
the photo of this violence do not want to make sure you then
record in the prospectus. Terms of Steuergenauigkeit now joins
our Ovni so, again in those 200 sister-a, which also are on the
go with your GPS, and on the good and be happy to you can be proud of.
Babylon 10
WilliamHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2014, 05:57   #12

Hi Crew!

I saw the show a couple of hours ago, too.

Found this:

Long Island yacht tragedy: Three children dead and 24 pulled from water as revellers watch July 4 fireworks | Mail Online
bilbo_beutlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 22:06   #13

Boat: Boden 36ft sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbo_beutlin View Post
This is not the same yacht. This is a power boat. Anyone have any more information on the yacht the original poster is talking about?
Tacmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2017, 04:02   #14

Hi Herman,
Thanks so much for your post. I see you had no real outcomes to your post and so like you I am also keen to know more.
What happened to the boat and the occupants? And if the owner is still breathing does he or she know about this documentary? There is so much more to the story and I'm fascinated. When did Miranda sink? It's obviously very deep (Ballard sent his rover for this one). I wonder if he has been contacted by the owner?
When asked shall I zoom in on the numbers, Ballard appears to ask foor the yacht name, and to go to the stern. Perhaps this footage was edited out.

The registration number is almost legible.... 1-020889 ?? something similar to that but I can't make it out. If there is an HD quality video it may be possible to read. The clearest images of the numbers are just before they track towards the stern in the film.

Heidelberg is in the middle of Germany a long way from the coast but there are boat noo rings and a yacht club it seems based on a quick google search, they must know more. Perhaps there is a German ships register? There must be a record.

I hope you're still intruiged....

If anyone reads this and would like to contribute towards this investigation please do.

Thank you
Ben D. (Australia)
Ben.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 17:50   #15

Hello friends

Have anybody found any news about the mysterious sailboat MIRANDA from Heidelberg? At the tv program they show a map about 26:46 into the program. I recognised that map. It must be between Kos in the north and Knidos (Datcha) in the south.
Google coordinate:

https://goo.gl/maps/nE9drPYYzTm

Would be very interesting to finely hear what realy happened to the boat and crew? It doesn't look like it had been down for long. Course the sails and most of the loos inventory like the ropes were in very good condition! So it must have sunk sometime just before the filming (2012) I would guess... It looked like the crew have left the boat in a hurry course the forsail were only half rolled in. And course of that I don't think she was sunk in purpose. Why would any one border to only roll the forsail out half if it was a insurance fraud? There must be a record of sailing vessels in Heidelberg. It should be possible to phone to the marina in Heidelberg to get info about Miranda.

One could try to contact the Series producer: Gary Jhonstone or the filmproducer : Lisa Wolfinger

Or the National Geographic production manger:
Leannne Danielson or Michelle Upton.

There should be good opportunities to find the true story behind Miranda from Heidelberg.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20180211_015222.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	281.0 KB
ID:	163849   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180211_015341.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	360.1 KB
ID:	163850  

LeGaard_SR is offline   Reply With Quote