Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2014, 20:24   #1

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Thumbs up Help: San Francisco + Sacramento River Delta area Info Needed

G'day Ladies, & Gents,
I was hoping to borrow a bit of brain power & local knowledge, if you'd be so kind. Here's the scoop.
I may get the chance to pick up a sound, but in need of TLC "Classic Plastic" (boat) in the Bay Area... the catch being that I know almost naught about said locale. Not even owning a chart of that neck of the woods, or a semi-current map of CA.
Mostly I've only been flown in as a hired gun, either for deliveries or to boost a skipper's trophy count in the Big Boat Series a few times. - Now that was FUN! 'Course I did instigate a good bit o' mischief, aside from tuning the boat & lads up, to get us some silver.

So I'm wondering if; there's plenty to see & do (not just in the city), but in the Delta especially, as well. I have vague recollections of articles on the Delta in Latitude 38, as it being a popular spot to cruise, especially for those with boats on the bay, when the owners get more than a couple of days to string together. Albeit, if memory serves, those were summer cruises which were written about.

Any comments as to whether it'd be a nice spot to go exploring, while tuning up a pre-loved, quality sailboat (with about a 6' draft, & tall stick)? And if so, what's there to see, and where? Favorite off the beaten path hangouts (on/next to the water). Quiet places to drop the hook & hole up, or hang out for a few days, or weeks at a time. And also good spots for mid length temporary moorage which wont break the wallet.

All suggested resources are welcomed. As I'd genuinely love it if it's one of those areas where you can actually "cruise". Meaning not just play with the boat for a few days, but get to meet & know folks. Find spots with great waffles & atmosphere to hang out in for long breakfasts. And pubs with good music, good food, & maybe even a dance floor or two.
Plus spend time with the boat, & create + find the resources to tackle a "to do" list for said classic plastic (sailing machine).
Oh, & I'd figure to buy or build a dink. Plus have wheels (a bicycle, & or my middle aged, handy ole' truck nearby as well).

Thanks.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 20:32   #2

Boat: Lindsey Center Cockpit 39' Ketch
Re: Help: San Francisco + Sacramento River Delta area Info Needed

Uncivilized it's still early in the Bay/Delta area so hold on for the response that will come to you....there are lotta places and things to do...from mild to wild. Having transportation (your ole truck) will open many areas for you. Enjoy....

Life is good if you Keepa Smilin.....

S/V Water Wings
fjwiley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 20:52   #3

Boat: catalina 400 MKII

You will find all that and more. When you get there, just ask around and follow your nose. Have dinner at Al the Wop's.
scotty c-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 21:12   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Hum, I'm not the best at knowing the party spots as I tend to go to the places without people. But here is a partial list:

In the delta, you have the Delta loop area where there are bars, restaurants (good and bad), marina's and the like. Rio Vista is a small quaint town with a few bars and resturants, A few good and many so so.

Potato Slough is a happening place in summer and the 3rd of July fireworks at Mandeville point is one giant party. No I've never been there well not anywhere around the 4th anyway, but a few thousand boats all drinking and partying will be.

Besides that Benecia has nice resturants, bars. A bit more up scale. Too much $$$ for a poor sailorchic Then there is Sausolito which has many resturants, bars, etc. Also $$$. Though lots of marina services there too as well as the ever unpopular anchorouts of which, a few I do call friends.

Of course the City offers, well really anything goes in SF. Though there your only in a expensive marina.

There is also Alameda which is quite pleasant in that life is a little slower there type of way. The best marine services are in Alameda.

Oh there is Napa and Petaluma, both have docks downtown and many good restaurants, live music, bars, wine, etc. Slower and more laid back then the city or Sausolito. Napa is spendy $$$ but the Chinese restaurant down town has great food. But then so many do too. Paradise Sushi in Petaluma has fantastic Sushi and its a very short walk from the turning basin.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 21:22   #5

Foster's Bighorn (restraunt) in Rio Vista is an interesting place.

I guess it's still there, I haven't been there in years.
waggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 21:29   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Fosters is still there. The Point restaurant changed hands and is now mexican food. It's good enough, not quite fantastic though. There is also a new BBQ place in Rio Vista that has Great BBQ at very reasonable cost. The marina there has a good ships store along with gas,diesel and propane too.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 21:33   #7

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Don't miss Lost Isle if its finally back open.

Lost Isle Bar and Resort on The California Delta
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 21:55   #8

And of course Bethel Isle is a small drinking village with a fishing problem..
waggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 22:29   #9

Pretty, even in the winter. Took a cruise there this past June, maybe our 10th one over the years, plus summers leaving the boat up there.

You're right, check out Latitude 38s website, they must have their Delta article (runs every year) on the site, or in their online magazine format now.

Everybody's got their favorites, but if you give it week or a month, you can't y go wrong.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 22:44   #10

The wind surfers love the delta in the spring. 20 knots and almost no fetch makes for great windsurfing. Makes for easy sailing for us stand inside boats rather than the stand on top of type of boat. I deliverd a boat up into the delta, and saw lots of spots that I would have liked to spend a few days. THATS CRUISING. ______Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 23:07   #11

Boat: CL52

There is a SF bay/Delta group on trawler forum. A few members there have put together a cruising guide that is pretty comprehensive. It's the best current information on the delta I have found so far.
Captain Bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2014, 00:15   #12

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, Uncivilized,

Well, flukey winds that follow the channels rather than the synoptic flow. Green to brown water. Hot and still in summer. Grey in Nov to Feb, and lucky if there's rain. In Sac'to, "El Centro" has good fish tacos, (though not as good as La Paz, IMO), and lovely squid salad; also, I liked their black beans. You can take a big boat clear up to Sacto, but expect a lot of ponka ponka. Friends there, and elsewhere in the Bay Area, if you're interested. Mark J (Carquinez Coot, but spelled differently, is up there, as well as Sailor Chic.) Never spent much time up there, ourselves. Used to be a good Jamaican restaurant near Stockton.

If you want to get charts for the Delta, there are likely cruising guides, or if that doesn't appeal, Svendson's in Alameda is an independent chandlery which sells charts, or there is always West Marine, and there are many of them.

Ann
Old 13-11-2014, 09:06   #13

get a copy of bay and delta magazine.

go to fosters in rio visat great dive bar with large taxidermy collection

get the latest addition to north and southern California boaters guide of harbors and marinas.

go up to al the wops in oak grove look at the paper dollars thumb tacked to the ceiling

old Sacramento has wood streets like out of the 1800's

there herman and Helens marina quiet nice

moores river boat women underwear hanging from behind the bar, all donated of course

lots of partying in the summer

dredge museum also in rio vista.

stop by waltons boat yard in rio and watch him restore wooden run about classics.

plenty to see and do
bsurvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2014, 10:04   #14

Herman & Helen's closed this summer.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2014, 13:41   #15

wow that too bad, they had just reconditioned the place a couple of years ago..guess it back to pirates lair or owl which got bought by the marine contractor CS marine out of mare island heard they cleaned that place up.

lots of spiders I hate spiders
bsurvey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
delta, men, san francisco