Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2007, 14:53   #1

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Warning - Coming into Australia

A bit of a warning for anyone coming into OZ.

Seem's that the Jackbooted Nazi's have taken up residence here.

Australian Custom's at their worst.

Thanks to Bob Norson of the "Coastal Passage" for the links!

Brutal Customs, like communist russia?

Australian Customs letter of complaint

Australian customs acting like secret police?

Other Issues in Australia

Issues that effect Boaties

Reckon when I go out of the country, the boat may not come back in if this is how it's going to be.

Dave
Old 31-01-2007, 15:29   #2

Wow. That's one of the most maddening stories I've ever read. Guess I'll pass on visiting OZ and just keep going to NZ.

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2007, 15:40   #3

Boat: Hans Christian Christina (40') in March 09
Maybe the yellow brick road

Should not be followed after all....

Sounds like I'll be passing on OZ when I get into that area of the world. NZ YEAH, South Pacific YEAH, OZ.... Not just no......
Old 31-01-2007, 16:50   #4

warning coming to Australia

OK dave, we hear you.
However as Australians what are WE going to do about it.
Sitting down an complaining while having another beer, is not enough.
These people are accountable and should be made accountable.
I would welcome some suggestions, I don't mind a fight.
Regards,
Beau
beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2007, 17:13   #5

Boat: Catalina 22 MKII
I wonder if complaints by folks from all over to the Australian Embassy/Consolates in their respective countries would do anything. Getting polititians to see that the money earned from their fines will pale in comparison to revenue lost due to people choosing not to visit Australia. Shame really as Oz is one place I really wanted to visit and in solidarity to those cruising (not me, not yet) they will never see a dime of my money. via plane nor boat i'll not be visiting.
You and your fellow Australians should really try and rally the folks in the marine/ hospitality/tourist industries as a start. Those types seem to wield more influence with politicos than the man on the street.
cferger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2007, 17:33   #6

Boat: Hartley 32 RORC; Vixen
Officials Everywhere

Customs may be a little heavy handed when you read these accounts, and if as indicated they are accurate, it makes me disappointed as an Aussie that we are not more welcoming to our visitors.

One wonders where such diligent and officious Officials were when we were being "invaded" by all those boats full of illegal immigrants - sorry - refugees, who didn't want to be anywhere else but Australia.

It also makes me a little hesitant to enter this discussion and add my experiences and comments, knowing I may be turning people off visiting Australia. It really is a great place with many fantastic things to do and see, you just need to persevere and get through the door; the illegals oops (refugees) thought so!!

However, have you caught a plane anywhere recently. As someone who travels regularly by air (within Australia), I am equally as annoyed at the way we are treated.

I am scanned and x-rayed before every flight, and on many occasions am subjected to the additional "expolsives residue" test.

While I understand that many of these imposts and checking is as a result of some clown thinking it was a great idea to fly a couple of passenger jets into office blocks in New York, I strongly object to the line of thinking that everyone is a potential criminal and must be subjected to such scrutiny.

My company recently completed a fitout project at Sydney Airport, and everything, I mean everything that goes into the airport is x-rayed and scanned; every brick, every stud, every sheet of plasterboard, every screw, every nail etc etc. All tools were scanned and subject to special clearance, but heres the biggest joke; On one occasion we had passed all our materials and tools through (we are cabinetmakers and chisels, knives/blades are part of our standard kit), and the apprentice passed his backpack with personal items through. In it was his lunch that in part was a tomato. He had a vegetable knife to cut up his tomato. Security would not allow his vegetable knife, although our chisels and other sharp items were already cleared!!! Ridiculous!! His knife had to go back in the truck, and then because he had walked out of the "secured area" he had to be x-ryed and scanned again.

Of course they only have one machine, and there is usually a lengthy wait to get through.

No wonder when you buy a beer at the airport it cost $7.50.

The Nazis are not only at Customs waiting for visiting yachties, they are invading more and more of our lives every day.

Australia really is a good place to visit, please don't be turned off by a heavy handed Customs dude who probably had an argument with his wife that put him in a bad mood!!

Fair winds
Steve Kidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2007, 17:55   #7

warning coming to Australia

I have written to the Minister for the Australian Customs Department, expressing my extreme disappointment at the way Australian Customs department have handled these matters.

I suggest as many of you as possible should email him as well, showing your frustration with our system.

Senator Christopher Ellison
His email address is mojc@ag.gov.au

I will also contact our main stream media and see if I can't get a story written there as well.
Beau
beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2007, 18:02   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by beau
I have written to the Minister for the Australian Customs Department, expressing my extreme disappointment at the way Australian Customs department have handled these matters.

I suggest as many of you as possible should email him as well, showing your frustration with our system.

Senator Christopher Ellison
His email address is mojc@ag.gov.au

I will also contact our main stream media and see if I can't get a story written there as well.
Beau
Good on ya Beau, I had sent link's and a letter to 7 sunrise, but doubt they'll do a story, show's to wishy washy.

I have contacted Bob to see what his thought were on me sending his link's to the media before I got too carried away.

S.C.E will be getting a letter from me, that's for sure.

Dave
Old 31-01-2007, 18:08   #9

Just got this back from Bob of " The Coastal Passage",

Greetings Dave

Good to hear from you. I have no objection. I just posted the alert on the forum "Sailing Anarchy" based out of the US and have contacted "Latitude 38" a San Francisco based publication with a strong web presence. In short, the wider distribution the better. No room for ego here, I don't care. I would just hate to see another boat trapped. The law firm representing Jim Manzari is contacting the Australian and Courier Mail. whilst I think little of those rags it is hoped any kind of publicity would be better than hidden.

The lawyers are hoping to fund a transcript of the entire trial and have asked me to post it regardless of the outcome, which I will do. This would go far to educate people that may find themselves in difficulty.

I know how you feel. I share your anger over this and am sitting here doing everything I can think of and ready for more info.

Last paragraph deleted

Dave
Old 31-01-2007, 19:13   #10

Boat: Hans Christian Christina (40') in March 09
what would it take?

Alright, I've had an afternoon to look at this a little longer and figured I would just see if I can get something constructive out of it... Seeing as I deal with people like this all the time for work, I should be able to assemble a "checklist of things to do" prior to arriving.

SO to get in Legally and without fines one needs to do the following: (And people please add to this list or correct it so folks heading there have an idea of what to do.)

3-5 days out
Email (from your computer) when your approximate time of arrival will be with crew list and other associated paperwork as required. Do it again the following day and ask for confirmation state that if none is recieved then you can only assume it has been received. Carbon Copy self on Email

2 days out
Heave to in a hopefully calm sea and scrub the hull in what is known to be waters frequented by very large sharks. Start Eating all potentially contriband food.

24 hours out
email one more time to update your status on when you expect to arrive and ask for further instructions. Finish all potential contriband food or toss overboard, empty and flush holding tanks outside 12 mile limit to prepare for inspection. Call on VHF or HF radio for list of newly contraband items, ask if they have received paperwork or not. If not send HF communication of anticipated arrival in Approximately 96 hours and heave to for 3 days off shore with the excuse of "under minor repairs and to feel the need to take advantage of _________" fill in with Good fishing conditions, need for a good long nap, etc....

Any thoughts?
Old 31-01-2007, 19:26   #11

Here's a solution. Every 10 days, everyone with a boat, anywhere on Earth should send an e-mail to Australian Customs, stating their intention to enter Australian waters in the next 10 days, "weather and other circumstances permitting." I'm sure they can't fine you for NOT entering, (due to weather or other circumstances, such as being in the wrong hemisphere) and that way you will be covered if at any time you do happen to come here. You could probably set up a program to send this automatically. As mentioned in the article, if you DO happen to visit, make sure you have a record of the e-mail available.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2007, 19:30   #12

Boat: Brent Swain Pilot House 36' Steel Sloop
Australia Bans Japanese whaling fleet & $25K reward

Just for info as part of this thread, the Australian gov't has banned the Japanese whaling fleet from all ports. Seems they are pissed off with illegal whaling in their waters. As a side note Sea Shepherd has offered $25,000 for anyone notifying them of the location of the fleet as they wish to physically obstruct. Makes for interesting reading about the entire marine situation in Oz.

Sea Shepherd Conservation Society
bcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2007, 21:11   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat
Here's a solution. Every 10 days, everyone with a boat, anywhere on Earth should send an e-mail to Australian Customs, stating their intention to enter Australian waters in the next 10 days, "weather and other circumstances permitting." I'm sure they can't fine you for NOT entering, (due to weather or other circumstances, such as being in the wrong hemisphere) and that way you will be covered if at any time you do happen to come here. You could probably set up a program to send this automatically. As mentioned in the article, if you DO happen to visit, make sure you have a record of the e-mail available.
This is a similar idea to what was being suggested when the Government in it's wisdom decided that us Boaters did not need coastal radio stations and closed them down.

After all, who uses VHF, we all use HF or Imarrsat like the big ship's.

The suggestion was that we should set of our EPIRB's in remote areas, and seeing as their was no one listening to VHF anymore, how could we let the official's know that it was a false alarm.

Only when the helicopter was overhead could we then let them know.

I know last time I was up north you could forget about comm's north of Cairn's.

If only we had the Gut's to go ahead with these idea's.

Dave
Old 31-01-2007, 21:16   #14

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
I had the same idea as 44cat, flood the dopey buggers with emails saying we are coming. If you are worried about maybe going there one day use bogus names etc, it'll still tie up their resources.
And by the way NZ has the same BS rules, some people have been hassled already (self included) butr we're waiting to see how fat they push it.
My story: left tahiti with no knowledge of the new rules, I am a NZ resident, this was a delivery. No other cruisres in tahiti mentioned it. Found out about it via radio 3-4 days out. Engine was down so played merry hell with them, updating our eta every 15 mins in light variable winds.
dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2007, 21:21   #15

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
information for yachts travelling to australia - let us know you're coming

Spam them into eternity.
dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia