Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2019, 10:55   #16

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck
Re: $100,000 to put in a money pit

That's way to small for a Schooner rig, as much as i love Schooner's, i wouldn't have one under say 45 Feet on deck, basing this statement on owning a William Garden designed " Walloon"
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 11:44   #17
Marine Service Provider

The third USS Morris was a schooner in the United States Navy in commission in 1846.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 11:51   #18

Boat: Scout 30

Assuming that the OP actually knows what a schooner is it's really rare these days for a newbie to want one. It's a classic rig that few these days have any real experience with because it's notoriously inefficient upwind. Personally, it's my favorite rig but I'm weird.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 13:29   #19

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
Welcome Warren. Go for your dream, but you imply that you are starting from scratch. A multi-mast isn't the easiest to single hand, as GI suggests. A smaller, cheaper and simpler boat might be a better starting point. Long cruises require lots of skills and experience. Why not a boat that will let you find the edges of your envelope, and start building toward your dream trips and dream boat? You might want something rather different when you get there.

This is excellent advice!

Just because you don't start with a "bluewater" boat doesn't mean that you can't go cruising. Many people start with a simpler boat and use it to learn not only sailing, but the maintenance and repairs, your likes and dislikes, as well as living aboard and cruising. You can start cruising locally, then in the Great Lakes and coastal (I'm assuming that you are in the US and on the east coast). When you have additional experience, you can then decide what you want in your offshore boat, and have a much better chance of getting what you really need and want.

Good luck with your sailing endeavours1
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 16:48   #20

I was thinking ketch but typed schooner. Neither the Hunter or Morris was a ketch but the Morris seemed a few steps above the Hunter. I like the idea of spending $30000-$35000 and learning then getting a nicer boat and starting the dream. I live about an hour’s drive from 2 of the great lakes. Can I get the experience I need on the lakes to sail the Gulf and Atlantic or do I need to move to the Gulf? I know I can get the classes I need here and on the coast.
warren5421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 17:02   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren5421 View Post
I was thinking ketch but typed schooner. Neither the Hunter or Morris was a ketch but the Morris seemed a few steps above the Hunter. I like the idea of spending $30000-$35000 and learning then getting a nicer boat and starting the dream. I live about an hour’s drive from 2 of the great lakes. Can I get the experience I need on the lakes to sail the Gulf and Atlantic or do I need to move to the Gulf? I know I can get the classes I need here and on the coast.

The Great Lakes are serious bodies of water and are not to be taken lightly. You can indeed get experience there. The question is do you wish to sail full time, or do you want to learn while dealing with your life on the land, or do you want to just go sailing full time? If the first option, you have the choice of going back to your land lubber life if for some reason your sailing dreams don't work out.

There are some differences, and one is that fresh water is less damaging to equipment. Fresh water boats often command a higher resale price. If you buy up there to learn, then later sell it, you may realize a higher return.

Another consideration is that the great lakes have a sailing season, whereas the gulf and southern parts of the east coast do not. If you are thinking of sailing the buying in the Great Lakes area then sailing down to the ocean you will eventually need to change your bottom paint as anti fouling paint for the lakes doesn't work in salt water.
Old 02-07-2019, 19:05   #22

Boat: Scout 30

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ds-147098.html
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 21:04   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Boats are bottomless money pits. You won't even hear a splash when throwing a wad of 100 dollar bills down the hole.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 23:16   #24

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
I was thinking ketch but typed schooner.
Umm.... a ketch has two masts also. So the same question applies, why a TWO MASTED boat of that size? Needless complication, and, as others have suggested, nearly impossible to find.
Old 04-07-2019, 00:08   #25

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadster3 View Post
If you plan to single hand, a schooner is waaaay too much sail.
Looking at it another way though, especially for single handing, is that a schooner (or ketch) reduces the individual size of each sail.

And for interest, here is a 38 foot bluewater capable schooner. Not a monohull though sorry

jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 01:16   #26

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post
Looking at it another way though, especially for single handing, is that a schooner (or ketch) reduces the individual size of each sail.

And for interest, here is a 38 foot bluewater capable schooner. Not a monohull though sorry

Wharram?
Old 04-07-2019, 01:35   #27

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Yes, Wharram Tiki 38, although there is also a 46, 52, and 63 available all of which are schooners with 'Wharram Wing Sail Rigs' https://www.wharram.com/site/article...m-wingsail-rig (if anyone is interested). NB: yes it has a gaff, but no it is not really a 'gaff rig'.

For example purposes, with regard to sail size, the main and fore sail on the 38 are tiny (the foot of the sail is maybe only 6ft long). Easily handled by one person. Since this is the monohull forum I won't post links unless someone asks to see more info.
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 17:05   #28

Mom and dad had "The Voyage Of The Ketch Scarlet Queen" on the radio so grew up think that was the way to go. As I said I have no first hand knowledge on sailboats. After talking with a broker in Michigan is there any $35,000 or less boats that don't have some core problems? He made it sound almost like the kiss of death on older boats.
warren5421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 17:17   #29

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

100k buys a lot of air tickets...
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 17:35   #30

Quote:
Mom and dad had "The Voyage Of The Ketch Scarlet Queen" on the radio so grew up think that was the way to go. As I said I have no first hand knowledge on sailboats. After talking with a broker in Michigan is there any $35,000 or less boats that don't have some core problems? He made it sound almost like the kiss of death on older boats.

There are plenty. A friend bought a late 70s Catalina 30 for a little under $5,000 and he has no soft spots, I purchased a 76 Dufour 27 for $4,000 with zero soft spots. I also bought a Dufour 27 Safari in good shape for $2,000 with a couple of small soft spots. Nothing a few days of my labor and some epoxy couldn't fix.

They are out there.

Tags
money