Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2012, 02:09   #1

Dreadnought 32 - Later Built Facts + Plans

I am a new member as of about 7 minutes ago and have specifically joined to see whether anyone can point me towards some knowledge on later built Creaklock Dreadnought 32's. I have an interest in buying a particular boat but feel I have been given some spurious info by the seller regarding the fundamentals (I am 2500kms away from the unit). Some info to go on. Sloop/cutter rig. Larger SAAB diesel than earlier models. Foam core fibreglass construction. Owner claims a hull length of 35" not including rudder or bowsprit. Someone who could point me in the direction of reasonably accurate plans with dimensions, maybe in publications of the era (supposedly early 80's) would be wonderful.
coralreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2012, 09:37   #2
GWB

Boat: Westsail 32
Re: dreadnought 32-later built facts + plans

Is this the "Joya"?
GWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2012, 16:13   #3

Its not. Her name is recent and I am not sure of the spelling. She spent some years in the UK before residing in Australia for around 5-6 until now.
Old 28-06-2012, 12:10   #4

Boat: Pearson 281

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralreef View Post
I am a new member as of about 7 minutes ago and have specifically joined to see whether anyone can point me towards some knowledge on later built Creaklock Dreadnought 32's. I have an interest in buying a particular boat but feel I have been given some spurious info by the seller regarding the fundamentals (I am 2500kms away from the unit). Some info to go on. Sloop/cutter rig. Larger SAAB diesel than earlier models. Foam core fibreglass construction. Owner claims a hull length of 35" not including rudder or bowsprit. Someone who could point me in the direction of reasonably accurate plans with dimensions, maybe in publications of the era (supposedly early 80's) would be wonderful.
Hey there Coralreef and WELCOME!...I don't know that this will help much but most of these were done as sloops or cutters using the same spars as were used for the Westsails.
Haven't heard that about the SAAB engine in later models. All I know is that they were originally built with SAABs.
32' LOD is the proper length as per plans with 38'LOA with sprit and boomkin.
Foam core is not typical generally, with a few exceptions, balsa was used either throughout the hull or above the waterline only.
Check out my profile and go to the pics folder on Dreadnoughts. There you will find, among other things, a tiny bit of info and leads to other sites including a note from someone who knew the yard well that the only thing in common about the builds was that they were mostly all a bit different to suit owners needs. There is an untended Dreadnought 32 owners site with some detail... don't have the web address in front of me but will post it when I can. Also Carls Sail Calculator has the basic numbers on the boat and you can run a comparison with the Westsail to get an vague statistical idea of her sailing characteristics as compared to that boat. You might try contacting Bud Taplin through the Westsail owners site with specific questions. He was involved breifly with Dreadnought Boatworks and may be able to provide more detail. Feel free to PM me if I can help in any way in your consideration of the purchase.
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2012, 00:54   #5

Thanks for that Butler. I thought after a few minutes of viewing westsail images that she may be one of the majority but no, definately a Deadnought 32. Anyway, I have put a deposit on the lady and will takeover in a week or so. I cant blame the broker for not being terribly familiar with this rare bird. Its a pity that the deradnought assoc. seems to have shuffled off this mortal coil. The Westsail OA seems so vibrant. Regards
Old 30-06-2012, 01:56   #6

Only eighty something Dreads produced and have found just a handful of active boats...Idle Queen being the most notable. I'd love to hear about anything you might be able to dig up on these yourself.

Congrats on your impending state of servitude! Look forward to hearing more about your new Dread; history etc.. Pictures please!
Except for her heavy helm (pretty easily corrected) I like the way Molly B sails and feel very confident in her as a tough, forgiving, go anywhere boat. I never feel like the work I'm doing is wasted on a weak "foundation".

The Westies are certainly a good bunch, as any of them here will be happy to confirm!
I keep threatening to look into acquiring the Dreadnought site but we are a small bunch indeed soo...

Happy sailing!
Old 30-06-2012, 06:31   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butler View Post
Only eighty something Dreads produced and have found just a handful of active boats...Idle Queen being the most notable. I'd love to hear about anything you might be able to dig up on these yourself.

Congrats on your impending state of servitude! Look forward to hearing more about your new Dread; history etc.. Pictures please!
Except for her heavy helm (pretty easily corrected) I like the way Molly B sails and feel very confident in her as a tough, forgiving, go anywhere boat. I never feel like the work I'm doing is wasted on a weak "foundation".

The Westies are certainly a good bunch, as any of them here will be happy to confirm!
I keep threatening to look into acquiring the Dreadnought site but we are a small bunch indeed soo...

Happy sailing!

I'm just curious how you corrected her helm. Did you mean it's easily corrected through sail trim or rig tuning or was there something more permanent that you did to the boat itself.
slowshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2012, 13:44   #8

Haven't gotten to it yet... that'll be next month after I get a bit of sailing in Slowshoes but the idea is to lift the rudder off while in the slip, cut down the aft edge and compensate by adding some into the prop arperature(sp?) as shown in the pic below. Not only will this balance the rudder and make for an easier helm but will also allow me to fit a trim tab for an Autohelm vane. I've seen one other Dread where the rudder was just reduced in size but I don't want to lose rudder area.

Henry Heckel's Idle Queen

Another Dread... Sundowner

You can see how large the original rudder is. A blessing for manuverability but a curse as it takes a lot of viking power to steer and get's tiring and a bit scary on a big day.
Old 30-06-2012, 13:54   #9

BTW I have to thank Bud Taplin for the rudder mod idea based on the owners experiences on Sundowners' voyage from Victoria BC to the South Seas and back. Also much appreciation for the image of Sundowner and the Dreadnought plan both of which he kindly sent to me.
Old 08-01-2014, 13:36   #10

Boat: Westerly, W25, 26 foot
Re: Dreadnought 32 - Later Built Facts + Plans

I have a D32 that is a cutter.
Bit different as has stainless steel mast.
She had a hydrauic sustem installed with quick disconect to go back to tiller.
Looked aftr weather helm.
I took a heart attack and have not sailed the boat but previous owner and those that knew her said she could go anyplace.
This boat has the Yanmar 3GMF30 engine.
Have not found any coring in the hull.
Good luck.
Granea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 15:48   #11

Is Sundowner the one that went to French Polynesia in the late 70s, and after returning to Victoria, went south again,clear to New Zealand in the early 80s????? If so, we spent a lot of time with those folks. Good People._____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2023, 10:06   #12

I see mention of a Dreadnought named Molly_B. I know this is an old post, but I am currently looking at this boat and would love to get some info from a past owner. I find it difficult trying to figure out who was the owner based on the thread posts.
Jops74 is offline   Reply With Quote