Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average. Display Modes
Old 05-11-2016, 23:26   #121

Boat: 66' Spencer 42' Sloop
Re: Hard Dodger (Sprayhood) Illustrated Guide - Examples, Tips

I show mine quite a bit in this video.

Old 06-11-2016, 06:09   #122

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Big--that dodger design seems to fit the boat very well.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 09:21   #123

Boat: 66' Spencer 42' Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
Big--that dodger design seems to fit the boat very well.
It was designed by the boats designer and built at the factory, really flows with the lines of the boat.
Old 11-11-2016, 03:43   #124
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hard Dodger Design #29

Searif 55, 1983

Steady's NOTES:

An unusual design, center cockpit with wheel on the forward bulkhead of the cockpit.

Notice the glass panels for windscreen. They are only supported on 3 sides (side, bottom), but perhaps only on two sides by the metal posts.

Is this a "hard dodger?"
I would call this a "wind screen" or "spray screen" but that is the function of most dodgers. I am posting this example here in this discussion because it caught my eye as a different one because of how it is built and also the cockpit layout.

While the windscreen looks nice for appearance (modern, sleek), I would prefer to have some kind of solid metal or wood frame around all edges of the glass, including the top edge, and good handholds on the top edge at least. Grabbing onto a piece of wet solid glass or falling onto the edge of it does not appeal to me if the boat was in a seaway or heavy weather. I would rather have a dodger that not only protects crew from spray, but also adds security by giving good handholds. I don't see that in this design.

I do think the Helm Forward position is interesting, and is seen on some other boats (Amel, Bowman, etc.).

Boat is located in Italy.

More photos here on the sale listing 1983 Searif 55 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1458.JPG
Views:	415
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	135820   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1459.JPG
Views:	450
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	135821  

Name:	IMG_1460.JPG
Views:	406
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	135822  
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 08:32   #125

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Here's the hard-dodger that was added to the Outbound 46s after 15 years. One thing that I really dislike about add on hard dodgers is how clumsy and ugly they often look. This one fits in decently to the ships lines.
I agree and also agree that it is a nice one. Well done.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 09:09   #126

Boat: Comet 41s

Hard dodgers have a big drawback: they cannot be taken away quickly and even if they can be taken away they are close to impossible to store on the boat.

My dodger takes about 1m to put down and 1 m to put up and we sail many times with it up but also many times with it down, depending on the advantages of each case.

Because of this disadvantage you can only find it on the market (new) on boats that point to voyage and long range cruising. You have already posted the one of the Gracia 44, I will post some more.

These boats more than the protection of the sparywood against spay are designed to offer a protected shelter from rain (and in some cases cold) allowing for a second protected wheel station even if only through the autopilot. Their dodger is bigger than the removable ones and that is not the case with many that are posted in this thread, that offer the same protection of a removable one.

The only advantage of those small ones is that they will not need to be substituted regularly...but they will also be more expensive, not offering the possibility to lower them when convenient.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 13:46   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Notice the glass panels for windscreen. They are only supported on 3 sides (side, bottom), but perhaps only on two sides by the metal posts.

Is this a "hard dodger?"
I would call this a "wind screen" or "spray screen" but that is the function of most dodgers. I am posting this example here in this discussion because it caught my eye as a different one because of how it is built and also the cockpit layout.
Similar in concept to the Halberg Rassey windscreen but not nearly so well executed.
Littlechay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 14:15   #128

As an architect I would say that almost every example posted here is not attractive and destroys the lines of the boat. I would guess that not a single one was designed by an architect or a naval architect.

One might ask why the architects of these boats don't have a hard dodger... or even a soft one as part of the design or as an accessory?

There are aspects which make them practical and durable. I do not deny this.

I have had a series of soft dodgers or spray hoods including the OEM one which has aluminum tubes and some sort of vinyl fabric. I did a stainless steel frame and have done new canvas ever 5 or 6 years when they begin looking old and tired. And it's a nice thing to get new fabric and glass. The center window is always completely removable and is open most of the summer except when it rains. The only real rain protection is for someone sitting in the companionway and since it's most me or me and the wife this is fine. She's below in the rain with the dog.

I designed a full cover extension... but I find it unattractive and will not have it made.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20120721_120007_867.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	415.1 KB
ID:	135902  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf bimini.pdf (161.6 KB, 93 views)
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 14:26   #129
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

POLUX,

Thanks for adding the photos.
Of the ones you posted, this one really caught my attention.

Please tell me the Brand/Model and Size of that boat, if you know.

It looks like it provides the most coverage and good seating area under the dodger, and looks to me like a comfortable spot to be in a blow if on watch. I also like the room for electronics etc.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1481.jpg
Views:	620
Size:	414.3 KB
ID:	135904  
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 14:29   #130

Sandero - "...almost every example posted here is not attractive.....I would guess that not a single one was designed by an architect or a naval architect".

Mine designed by a Naval Architect. Big $'s spent.

Your comment was very rude, btw!!! I bet you have to single-hand a lot!
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 14:32   #131

Boat: Nauticat 32

If you want to have a hard windscreen for good visibility, one option is to build a pilothouse and put the windscreen few feet or metres forward. It can be rather low, to reduce windage. Pilothouse is actually a double ended hard dodger that is very protected and warm inside .

My boat has both a pilothouse and a soft sprayhood. The sprayhood usually stays up all season, so I guess it could as well be hard . We mostly steer outside, but if it rains too much or the weather is cold, we go inside. In tropics a sprayhood + bimini combination could be better, but where we are, a pilothouse is a nice thing to have. Kind of a warm hard dodger .
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 14:36   #132

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
As an architect I would say that almost every example posted here is not attractive and destroys the lines of the boat. I would guess that not a single one was designed by an architect or a naval architect.
I suspect that the folks at VAn de Stadt would be surprised to learn that they were neither architects nor Naval Architects. Several of the others were designed by recognized NAs or NA firms.

You may find them unattractive, I certainly do for many of the examples posted, but the above statement is pretty unrealistic.

Jim
Old 11-11-2016, 14:58   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorcherry View Post
Sandero - "...almost every example posted here is not attractive.....I would guess that not a single one was designed by an architect or a naval architect".

Mine designed by a Naval Architect. Big $'s spent.

Your comment was very rude, btw!!! I bet you have to single-hand a lot!
hahahaha... why was it rude? I am not sure which is yours and I was expressing my opinion as a sailor and an architect. Matters of aesthetics are personal and not universal for sure. No offense was intended. Heck.. not all boats are stunning either in my opinion and I am sure you would agree.

You need to chill a bit...
Old 11-11-2016, 15:04   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
I suspect that the folks at VAn de Stadt would be surprised to learn that they were neither architects nor Naval Architects. Several of the others were designed by recognized NAs or NA firms.

You may find them unattractive, I certainly do for many of the examples posted, but the above statement is pretty unrealistic.

Jim
Well yeah it was a guess because most are to my eye not attractive and the assumption being architects don't design unattractive things. But we all know this is not true either.

"Van de Stadt Design applies four fundamental principles: speed, comfort, safety and quality" Not a word about aesthetics in their design philosophy. And it shows in my opinion.

I believe that form follows function and forms that function will often look beautiful. This certainly seems to apply to boats. But not always. There are plenty of unaesthetic boats out there.

YMMV
Old 11-11-2016, 15:37   #135

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

You know, even a rather plain looking woman, if she is careful about her grooming and chooses her makeup wisely, can be quite attractive. But there is simply never a good excuse for an ugly boat.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canvas, dodger, hardtop, Sprayhood