Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2019, 10:59   #1

Headroom

We are looking for an ocean-worthy monohull in the 40’-50’ range for liveaboard and wide travel. We’ve looked at many listings and have an idea of what we like for our needs. Many of the boats we like are makes/models I’ve no experience with. We’re drawn to Hallberg-Rassey, Wauquiez PS, Island Packet, etc...

One factor that will likely eliminate many boats is the headroom. I am 6’4” and old enough that I don’t want to stoop over. From what I can tell, I will continue to get older and less tolerant of of physical limitations.

Can anyone offer any advice on which boats might offer an acceptable headroom - whether these brands or other that are ocean-worthy?

Thanks in advance. New to the forum but I appreciate the vast experience people here have.

I hope all have a happy and peaceful 2020.

Kev
Kingmambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2019, 22:35   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Headroom

Imho, you really need to go see the boats, and be aboard. It is not only the headroom that you will want, but the berth length, as well. If you like to read in bed, you'll need more clearance above the berth than just for sleeping....and if you're into love making, well, that takes some clearance, as well. Keep records of what you think fits for you, and you'll find something that will work. It could take a custom build, though, which is a whole 'nother thing to consider.

Ann
Old 31-12-2019, 23:07   #3

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

You might struggle at 40', but you shouldn't at 50'. I'm 6'3" and it's still a fair way up for me to the headlining, I'd say around 6'10" almost everywhere. But you aren't going to find many smaller boats with that much space.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 01:59   #4

Boat: Riva 48

It is the headroom and the berth length. I am 6’3” on a Hunter 31. The headroom is adequate and the real berth at 8’10” is great. You need to check out as many boats as practical. For example, HRs are great but feel cramped because the of the large storage areas. Some people love them others prefer more modern design.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 04:22   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Kev.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 06:12   #6

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40

I have a Hallberg-Rassy 40 (2004) and the headroom in the saloon is 1.96m. The low point going into the back cabin via the walk through is 1.85m. Odd thing is the HR43 is lower going through the walk through at 1.83m (1.97m in the saloon). You have to goto a HR46 before the walkthrough becomes higher at 1.91m however the saloon then becomes 1.94m. These are all for 2004/05 models, as reported in the HR Instruction Book for that year.

Ilenart
ilenart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 08:38   #7

Thanks for the responses. I should have worded my question more clearly but ilenart has an idea of what I was trying to say. Most boats under 40’ I’ve been on have headroom that would make me feel cramped as a liveaboard. It’s interesting that greater length doesn’t necessarily mean greater headroom; even within the same builder.
Old 01-01-2020, 08:44   #8

At this point we are establishing which boats work for us based upon our needs (headroom/berth length being an important one). Part of what I’m trying to do is simply eliminate boats without enough headroom while also seeing if there boats I’ve not considered that I should.

Thanks again for the help. I hope everyone has a great 2020.
Old 01-01-2020, 13:58   #9

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

I'm almost 6ft6 and understand the pain of being that tall on a sailboat. Our Hunter 38 has standing headroom for me in the aft part of the main cabin, and I just clear the deck arch (thankfully). Longer Hunters are good. We've chartered Catalinas and they had great headroom for me. Agree on the bunk lengths. Our H38 bunk was not really long enough though, but I solved that problem by turning the EW almost queen bunk into a NS king.
desodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 19:20   #10

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Another thing to watch for is forward visibility depending upon your height. I have excellent forward visibility through the sprayhood when seated, and the same again through a further clear above that when standing at the helm. Many boats I've been on are a complete pain for this -- the sprayhood or bimini or coachroof or whatever is at exactly an annoying height for me, so I'm always trying to look over or under things. Always check this out when buying a new boat.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 13:53   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
Another thing to watch for is forward visibility depending upon your height. I have excellent forward visibility through the sprayhood when seated, and the same again through a further clear above that when standing at the helm. Many boats I've been on are a complete pain for this -- the sprayhood or bimini or coachroof or whatever is at exactly an annoying height for me, so I'm always trying to look over or under things. Always check this out when buying a new boat.

From the boats I’ve been on recently, I think is like going to be an issue. Just one more variable to add in when comparing boats. Thanks.

Tags
head, headroom