Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2013, 17:29   #1

info on a Cooper Seabird 37?

We just bought an '81 Cooper Seabird 37. (Ketch rigged center cockpit )(project boat)
Have lots of questions for anyone with experience or knowledge of this boat.
Is there a group for this boat?
does anyone have more detailed plans or manufacturer's info?
The manufacturer, Cooper Yachts in Vancouver BC, seems to be out of business.
Questions include makeup and layout of original water and fuel tanks, location and access for fuel level sensor in fuel tank,
What the # is the lumpy,water pooling mass of glass and resin under the salon floor?
It may not be original but its a pain to drain and may be responsible for the rot that ate the floor and soles.
Thanks for any help
Adyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 04:18   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: info on a Cooper Seabird 37?

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Adyy.

Congratulations on your new boat!

http://cooperseabird.wordpress.com/

http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=3688

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 08:06   #3

Thanks for the help
Old 07-02-2014, 14:17   #4

Boat: Cooper Seabird 37 cutter

I've had a 1980 for 12 years now: it's in Petersburg, AK. I tore the floor out last summer due to rot problems and a deteriorating step under the mast support post. I have heard of others with the same trouble. I love my boat, but the bilge design is horrible, and the boat is a "wet" one, though I've rebedded everything that can be rebedded on the deck.

I'm hoping to get a new full-batten mainsail made this winter. Do you have any advice or experience that could help me with this purchase?
dougseabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 17:42   #5

Boat: Cooper Seabird 37

I'm a recent new owner of a seabird 37. These boats were actually built up the river in Mission. You bought the hull, and customized the interior. We live in Langley B.C. and the vessel is in a slip in Nanaimo. I really like the full keel, and creature comforts in this boat. Give me a shout and we'll compare.
Cooper37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:04   #6

Thanks for the reply.
Love our Seabird but it's a major project.
Just finished a winter cover since we didn't get the work above decks done before the rain. Had a great suggestion to use cast off billboard vinyl and a fantastic glue called HH-66. The vinyl is heavier than any tarp and the glue works great with a little practice.It allowed me to cover gunnel to gunnel over the rails so I can work the bedding and rail dry.
If you'd like I can send some pics.
When we get it ready, we plan to summer up the inland passage for our maiden voyage.
Perhaps we can visit.
I'd like to compare notes and stories.
david901@centurytel.net
Old 09-12-2018, 12:14   #7

Boat: 1982 37' seabird

The 37 foot seabird was constructed in Pitt Meadows in the early 80s the employees they had working on the boats We're Young and experienced inexpensive labor most of the windows and portholes we're not bedded down correctly I worked doing electrical for Cooper yachts I have been rebuilding my 1982 seabird Winter Wind for the last 4 years I finally have stopped the water from coming into the boat the fuel tank is opposite the water tank which are ballast tanks made of aluminum and because of all the water leaking into the boat the water tank corroded the port side where the Galley table is didn't have any major water leaks so it didn't rot the fuel tank out I had to pull out water tank and rebuild it. to pull it out I had to tear out Galley cabinets which were rotted in behind and the deck I've also remove the mast . and rebedded the compression post to get my Upper Deck back in shape I am also moving the head to the port side and putting in a full V berth I also found the sh** tank aft of the anchor Locker was made of aluminum and there was copper wire pieces that had being dropped onto the tank when they foamed the tank in the bow and it was quite rotten
Besides all the work that I've had to do on the boat I find this boat very easy to handle the next thing I want to do is remove my boom and fro my main without the Boom
Winter wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 12:20   #8

Boat: 1982 37' seabird

The 37 foot seabird was constructed in Pitt Meadows in the early 80s the employees they had working on the boats We're Young and experienced inexpensive labor most of the windows and portholes we're not bedded down correctly I worked doing electrical for Cooper yachts I have been rebuilding my 1982 seabird Winter Wind for the last 4 years I finally have stopped the water from coming into the boat the fuel tank is opposite the water tank which are ballast tanks made of aluminum and because of all the water leaking into the boat the water tank corroded the port side where the Galley table is didn't have any major water leaks so it didn't rot the fuel tank out I had to pull it out and rebuild it to pull it out I had to tear out Galley cabinets which were rotted in behind and the deck I've also remove the . and rebedded the compression post to get my Upper Deck back in shape I am also moving the head to the port side and putting in a full V berth
Winter wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2019, 09:00   #9

Boat: Cooper Seabird 37'

1979 Cooper Seabird 37' in the San Juan Islands, WA.

Love this boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0719.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	293.1 KB
ID:	188374  
sailandbail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2019, 09:07   #10

Any progress with the Seabird? I'd love to see what you've done and figured out.

I purchased a '79 Seabird 37' last September and really love it.

Thanks!
Old 20-08-2019, 22:56   #11

Boat: Cooper Seabird 37

We took possession of our Cooper Seabird cutter ketch, Calypso II, in August, 2017. Sailed the south sound out of Tacoma that first year, now berthed in Blaine and cruising the the isles of the Salish Sea / Georgia Strait (aka San Juans and Gulf Islands). SailandBail, you look to be a nearby neighbor.
seattlesailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 07:24   #12

Seattlesailing, I am a nearby neighbor! It would be fun to cross paths at some point; I have yet to spot another Sea Bird on the water. I'm moored in Anacortes, WA, and take her out all of the time. A longer journey south is in the books for sure!
Old 09-10-2020, 13:30   #13

Boat: Cooper, Sea Bird 37'

Good day all, I am looking at a seabird 37 masthead sloop but have a couple questions I hope someone can help, the current owners have very little experience and have no answers for me. First I have heard rumors that Cooper used asbestos as filler durring the construction of their boats during the mid 70s, I have heard it referred to as "bear sh**", anyone know of this? second, has anyone with a seabird made any long passages? can you share how the vessel perfomed in heavy weather, big seas and then again on the opposite scale, light weater and seas. I would appreciate any feedback thanks.
TedR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2024, 14:26   #14

Hello I have a 1981 seabird 37 we live in BC we love our boat .The past owners have taken good care of it and it shows. We have a issue when raining the next day we have water inside of cupboards and area .we noticed the water fill is where it's coming through, could this be the toe rail problem over saturated not draining properly?help
Barnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2024, 19:06   #15

Yes, it could very well.

The quick way to check that is to wait for a dry day. Then wipe the deck fitting and a bit of the surrounding deck completely dry with paper toweling and wipe the area one more time with alcohol (methyl hydrate) on the toweling. Then with duct tape, tape over the fitting, and rub the tape down good and tight.

With the dockside hose "make it rain" on the fitting. If no water gets into yer cupboard, ye've found the problem. Then remove the fitting and re-bed it with (silicone free) sealing compound from yer building supply store.

If water still comes in, you gotta look elsewhere for the leak.

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooper