Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2017, 18:14   #121

Re: Outstanding Boats - A Special Selection of Unusual and Noteworthy Boats I Find

Al Mason 62' Ketch

1985 Salthouse Ketch Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3383747_20160601121825336_1_XLARGE.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	140018  
daysgoneby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 18:41   #122

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Outstanding Boats - A Special Selection of Unusual and Noteworthy Boats I Find

Oh yes, we were on board Marnie in Noumea a few years back, and she is indeed a very nice yacht. Hope that the "right" sort buys her and continues to maintain her to high standards, for she is well worth preserving.

JIm
Old 24-01-2017, 00:37   #123

Boat: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Not a ketch, but along the same lines here's a 64' Alden Cutter. Gorgeous boat and looks to have been well cared for and maintained. We met her a few times coming across the South Pacific last year. She always stood out in an anchorage.

http://www.nautilusyachtmanagement.c...4-alden-cutter
Hobie_ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 02:30   #124

Boat: 'Shenoa' Hartley Tasman 27' bilge keeler

Classic 1909 Le Huquet gaff rig yawl 'Ailsa' | Trade Me

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears, or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 06:42   #125

1980 Norman Wright Ketch

1980 Norman Wright Ketch Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5782690_20160419180043647_1_XLARGE.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	140035  
Old 24-01-2017, 07:41   #126

Gotta love these wooden yachts
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	de52a4d1b2acdb81af7a4d7cce42cefe.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	140040  
Old 24-01-2017, 08:02   #127

Boat: Aquarius 23' and a 17' Kit bass boat

How about a Aquarius 23? Had one for a few years to try a little bit on my local lake. Could sleep 4 adults. Had fun for a first time going out. Here she was now gone.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=162004
mynameismud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 19:41   #128

2010 Modern Classic 17m Pilothouse Ketch

2010 Modern Classic 17m Pilothouse Ketch Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6067476_20170111184957952_1_XLARGE (1).jpg
Views:	227
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	140223  
Old 27-01-2017, 06:31   #129

Boat: Pearson 30

Wow, she is absolutely stunning! ( And a price that is too..)
Gravy26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 10:02   #130

1974 Camper Nicholson One Ton Design Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

while not necessarily visually stunning, this caught my attention as per the ad, built for Peter Nicholson by Camper & Nicholsons for his own private use - and its always interesting to see what people in the industry choose as their own. Apparently this boat came to Polynesia in June 2006, from the US via Mexico and her current owners bought the boat in Moorea where she still is. I guess there would be some tax/vat issues unless staying. And a bit of a logistical challenge to view / inspect again unless local.
daugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 11:58   #131
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by daugs View Post

while not necessarily visually stunning, this caught my attention as per the ad, built for Peter Nicholson by Camper & Nicholsons for his own private use - and its always interesting to see what people in the industry choose as their own. Apparently this boat came to Polynesia in June 2006, from the US via Mexico and her current owners bought the boat in Moorea where she still is. I guess there would be some tax/vat issues unless staying. And a bit of a logistical challenge to view / inspect again unless local.
On the Yachtworld listing the first set ofmeasurements are all screwed up. Further down they make sense.

Well equipped with great sails and a Spectra watermaker, much other good equipment.

Ray Wall is a great designer. Designed my boat as well as several other CS boats including the CS36T. While in England designed the Nicholson 35 and 55 and many others.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 12:59   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
On the Yachtworld listing the first set ofmeasurements are all screwed up. Further down they make sense.

Well equipped with great sails and a Spectra watermaker, much other good equipment.

Ray Wall is a great designer. Designed my boat as well as several other CS boats including the CS36T. While in England designed the Nicholson 35 and 55 and many others.
it looked a lot of stuff for the cash, and good for crusing round islands but do they all work well enough generally to sale back to Mexico and beyond ? Just wonder what the price tag would be if in Europe ?
daugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 11:01   #133
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here is what I consider an outstanding boat.

Why?
From my POV, it represents an outstanding example of taking an older IOR design boat and renovating it or updating it with cruising gear and many nice upgrades.

In short, if you are looking for a boat that is 40 feet long and "loaded" with an almost new engine, lots of recently upgraded gear and spare parts, this boat is one to consider.

This particular boat caught my eye three years ago. It is one I have looked at for hours as I read the excellently illustrated DIY blog entries (highly recommended for numerous projects such as adding a hard dodger) that show how the upgrades were performed by the owner. Since I was able to follow along with many of the projects, I was impressed by the quality of the work done, the "perfectionism" of the work, and the interesting changes made. Many man hours were invested in making the upgrades to the boat.

For newcomers to CF, this boat and owner may not be familiar. But, for the CF members who have been here for several years, the owner and boat will be familiar and his knowledgeable projects are respected.

"UGLY DUCKLING" (Now for sale.)

Choate 40 IOR Design
LOA = 40'
Draft = 7'
Asking Price = $45K (The boat has had much more invested in recent upgrades to hardware and much more in quality labor.)
Location = Blaine WA USA

More Details, More Photos

There is a new post with the sale listing details, equipment list, a good selection of photos, and contact information for the owner/seller. There are many more photos available. Here is a link to the CF sale listing:
For Sale: Plan on Selling the Ugly Duckling Soon. - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

In addition, the owner/seller has a nice website/blog that has many photos showing the upgrade projects.

One of the outstanding "features" of this boat is the owner's offer to help the future buyer with information about the boat. See the sale listing for this. In my view, that is something especially valuable for any boat that has had significant upgrades or changes from a stock boat.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3011.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	362.9 KB
ID:	142695  
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:18   #134

Boat: Catalina 470

That's alot of boat for the money. It's amazing how cheap some of these boats are getting, and that's the asking price!

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2017, 07:21   #135
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Swedish Pilothouse Motor Sailor 55' LOA

Asking Price = $24,995
Location = Fort Lauderdale Florida USA
LOA = 55'
Year = Older Wood Boat with Fiberglass Skin (2000)

Steady's Notes:

What makes this an Outstanding Boat?
I like traditional styled sail boats and I like Pilothouse boats and wood boats. So this boat caught my eye, and I think it would be an eye-catcher in almost any harbor. It is unusual in that it has a old wood hull that has been skinned with thick fiberglass skin. In addition to that, what makes it outstanding is that the boat has had a lot of money spent on it to upgrade systems, including a nice new (2010, 380 hours) strong Yanmar 240hp Diesel engine, 14 brand new batteries, a bow thruster, 5kw genset, and the asking price is so low.

WOW! Look at the list of equipment.

If I were in a position to move to Maine or Seattle or San Francisco or cold water locations, this kind of boat would be something I would enjoy for cruising and motor sailing among islands, while sitting in the nice pilothouse enjoying a warm cup of tea, whatever the weather. It is the kind of boat I would choose for voyaging up the inside passage to Alaska or to Nova Scotia or Greenland.

It may not be designed for the hot tropics, it may not be the fastest sailing boat (says it cruises at 8 knots, probably under power), nor the most modern. But, it does have unique charm, seems very well equipped (sale listing says $200K was spent on her), and the new large Diesel engine New Yanmar diesel 240 hp (380 hours), the diesel heater, two double berths, water maker, 8 new batteries, solar, bow thruster, water heater, freezer, air conditioning, electronics, and more would make it an interesting live aboard cruiser for the right person who likes traditional boats and wood boats.

IF any CF member does buy her, please let me know. I would love to go for a sail on her.

I am posting this here because I hope she finds a good home.

From the Sale Listing:
2000 Swedish Pilothouse Motor Sailor Cutter Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Dimensions
LOA: 55 ft 0 in
Beam: 16 ft 0 in
Length on Deck: 43 ft 0 in
Maximum Draft: 7 ft 0 in
Displacement: 74000 lbs

Engines
Total Power: New Yanmar diesel 240 hp (380 hours)

Engine 1:
Engine Brand: Yanmar
Year Built: 2010

Engine Type: Inboard
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
Engine Power: 240 HP

Cruising Speed: 8 knots

Tanks
Fresh Water Tanks: (250 Gallons)
Fuel Tanks: (400 Gallons)

Inside Equipment
Deep freezer
Bow thruster
Refrigerator
Air conditioning
Fresh water maker

Sails & Rigging
Wood mast Cutter rig
Sail area 1650 Sq Ft.
Dacron Sails: 2 Main Sails 1 Staysail (11oz.)
Profurl Roller Furling Genoa Sail (high cut)
Anderson Winches 4 #55 Self tailing misc. smaller halyard and sheet winches

Engine
New Yanmar diesel 240 hp (380 hours)
5kw Northern Lights generator (2003 with 110 hours)
Hot water heater: new 11 gallon stainless steel 110 volt and engine heat exchanger
Batteries: ALL NEW IN MARCH 2017:
Deep cycle golf cart- type batteries including: (8) - 6 volt (house) - (4) -6 volt (house) - (2) - 12 volt (engine start)

Refrigerator / deep freeze - AC/DC holding plate system with Frigiboat Keel Coolers
8 1/2' Hard bottom inflatable dinghy with new Nissan 10hp 4 stroke outboard

Hydraulic power take off system powering from main engine 15 hp dual prop bow thruster, anchor windlass and 14,000 GPH emergency bilge pump.
Welding machine - 100% Duty
Solar panel charging system and Wind Generator provides additional charging to battery system
Water maker: standard 500 gallon a day just overhauled with new membrane and filters
Air conditioning: King Air 12,000 BTU marine water-cooled system.

Broker's Notes:
""TEIWAZ" started life as a Baltic Fishing Ketch. The current owner converted it into a cruising yacht during a 25-year re-construction project. The hull is now covered with 4 layers of fiberglass cloth and epoxy to a thickness of 1/2". All systems were renewed or replaced including wiring, plumbing, rigging, tankage and electronics.

Though classic in its design, "TEIWAZ" has been modernized with a new Yanmar Diesel, 5kw Northern Lights Generator, Solar Panels, Wind Generator, Water Maker, Air Conditioning, Holding Plate Refrigeration, Recent Electronics and Hydraulic Bow Thruster in custom bow nacelle

THE OWNER OF TEIWAZ IS NOW NEARLY 80 YEARS OLD AND IS DONE WITH THE BOAT.

THE BOAT NEEDS SUBSTANTIAL COSMETICS BUT APPEARS TO BE SOLID AND SOUND

PRICE HAS BEEN REDUCED TO ONLY $24,995 FOR AN IMMEDIATE SALE"
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Swedish Cutter 55 43 Wood Sailing.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	143156   Click image for larger version

Name:	Swedish Cutter 55 Wood Deck.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	143157