Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2012, 15:01   #46

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825
Re: Do Cat Owners Actually Beach Their Cats ?

Wrong Piccy on the sand.

This is my Gem on the beach, Unintensional, 10 pm at night and a tide running out, in a river, slowly lowered me onto the sand,

Some cats cant be beached,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bundaberg Boat Wreck Nov 2011 026.jpg
Views:	689
Size:	402.4 KB
ID:	38883  
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2012, 15:15   #47

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Bahia 46 Maestro
Re: Do cat owners actually beach thier cats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
If that is true that's great. I had heard the opposite. The keels are designed to snap off and are foam covered with fiberglass inserted into sockets. I just didn't imagine that would be strong enough to carry the total weight.

Really I don't know as I didn't get to talk to FP as a new boat owner. When the boat yards have blocked up my cat they do it under the hull fore and aft of the keels. My keels typically don't have anything under them.
I emailed the question to FP in France shortly after we purchased our Bahia. This was their reply:

Good morning
Congratulations for purchasing a Bahia.
Yes you can sit her on it's keels only (see pic attached) .
Have a nice sailing
Best regards
Thierry Billard

Thierry BILLARD
Responsable Service Clients - Customer Service Manager

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FOUNTAINE PAJOT
Zone Industrielle - 17290 AIGREFEUILLE - France
Tel +33(0) 546 35 70 40 - Fax +33 (0) 546 35 50 10
Internet :www.fountaine-pajot.com - E-mail : sav@fountaine-pajot.com

Kiwikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2012, 15:17   #48

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Bahia 46 Maestro

Sorry here is the pic supplied by FP.

Cheers
Lisa
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MVC-007S.JPG
Views:	444
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	38884  
Kiwikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2012, 16:09   #49

Boat: First cat Lock Crowther # 150 47' cat, next cat, still looking ..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwikat View Post
I emailed the question to FP in France shortly after we purchased our Bahia. This was their reply:

Good morning
Congratulations for purchasing a Bahia.
Yes you can sit her on it's keels only (see pic attached) .
Have a nice sailing
Best regards
Thierry Billard

Thierry BILLARD
Responsable Service Clients - Customer Service Manager

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FOUNTAINE PAJOT
Zone Industrielle - 17290 AIGREFEUILLE - France
Tel +33(0) 546 35 70 40 - Fax +33 (0) 546 35 50 10
Internet :www.fountaine-pajot.com - E-mail : sav@fountaine-pajot.com

Excellent, Any multhiull purchaser should ask this question, and many, many more, of the designer and builder. No one else would have the knowledge to answer this accurately.
A foam core, dagger board multihull, may not be able to take the point loading on the outer skin, then again this depends on the exact design layup, and build.
whatsupdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2012, 16:22   #50

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

This one is Gemini's own builders piccy, advertisement,

Its not quite on the beach, But close enough,

Saves lifting the rudders,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Full piccy of Gemini.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	38889  
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2012, 18:03   #51

Boat: 42' Fountaine Pajot Venezia
Fountaine Pajots bouncing on the beach

We have not intentionally beached our Venezia but damn we have gone hard aground in the ICW, as in breaking crockery and potential liability lawsuits for whip lash. We have also bounced up and down on our keels for a half an hour before and after low tide in the Sea of Abaco on a windy wavy day.

This is not to impress anyone with our supreme seamanship or to say that giving a boat this kind of beating is a good idea - but based on our humbling experiences, we can give a big thumbs up to the strength of FP keels.
(connecting bloggers to readers and readers to topics in the cruising/liveaboard communities)
Jane.Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2012, 19:04   #52

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

Christ,all the old Pivers,Wharrams etc were more than capable of taking the ground on every tide. Every time i visit New Zealand i like to go and walk around all the boats on moorings at Little Shoal Bay in Auckland where you see lightweight racing cats like GBEs, Split Enz, and old Wharrams, Pivers and an assortment of shoal draft monohulls all taking the ground on every tide in all conditions year in, year out. I would be very dissapointed if i spent a crapload of cash on a cat that was not structually sound enough to sit on its own bottom.
Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2012, 19:30   #53

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
If that is true that's great. I had heard the opposite. The keels are designed to snap off and are foam covered with fiberglass inserted into sockets. I just didn't imagine that would be strong enough to carry the total weight.

Really I don't know as I didn't get to talk to FP as a new boat owner. When the boat yards have blocked up my cat they do it under the hull fore and aft of the keels. My keels typically don't have anything under them.
I worked with the FP to design a lift for my Belize. They stated the boat can sit on it's keels indefinitely, their only suggestion was that a hurricane strength wind could tip the boat forward or backward and suggested a strap fore and aft to prevent that during a storm.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2012, 01:23   #54

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.

YES. I got caught out on a lee shore in f7, hit by a rogue wave that knocked a rudder off, and doused the engine. I knew there was a gravel beach to port, a headland that needed 3miles clearance to avoid rocks to starboard and no charts to go beyond it.
I chose the beach. Take care where your anchor goes, not beneath the boat. And hope there are no rocks in the bit you choose, that's the real risk, as any swimmer knows.
Not all boats will tolerate uneven loading on lumpy gravel, let alone rocks.
Old 19-03-2012, 06:22   #55

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I think a lot of the cats mini keels are sacrificial. I don't care for a cat that has the keels structurally attached to the hulls especially of they form a bilge. Any keel damage and the cat takes on water.
Our Manta with structurally attached keels has water tight bulkheads in the keels sectioning them off from the rest of the interior. Inside, only a smaller sump exists in the keel area.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2012, 06:39   #56

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Unless the blocks are placed directly under structural bulkheads and carefully leveled so as not to produce a twisting moment on those bulkheads, not sitting your boat on its keels is very bad practice - particularly on a boat the size of yours. Personally, I would not allow it to be stored that way if it were my boat.

Your keels are definitely designed to support your boat and I would wager that FP would warn you to not solely support their boats blocked by the hulls.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2012, 07:05   #57
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Unless the blocks are placed directly under structural bulkheads and carefully leveled so as not to produce a twisting moment on those bulkheads, not sitting your boat on its keels is very bad practice - particularly on a boat the size of yours. Personally, I would not allow it to be stored that way if it were my boat.

Your keels are definitely designed to support your boat and I would wager that FP would warn you to not solely support their boats blocked by the hulls.

Mark
I agree !!
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2012, 07:50   #58

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.

That's the advantage of an Old Prout. They are built to take it. Flip side is they are heavy and slow.
The keels are part of the original moulding, heavily built, and used to be potable water tanks until GRP became a suspect container for drinking water.Any damage to a keel wouldn't let water into the hulls.
Old 19-03-2012, 08:29   #59

Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind

I beached my fishing boat once to cork up a leak & found a rotten plank about 6' long near the stearn. We had a gang plank aboard that was enough material to do the job. We got the old plank torn out & used it for a pattern and had the new one fastened in but not caulked by the time the tide was back. We used duct tape on the seems and waited out the tide to get her caulked up.
I put the boat on the beach every year for a bottom job - I even had the coast guard come out to inspect the boat one time when I was hauling passengers - they had a bawl wading in the water before the tide was all the way out. The inspector said this was a 1st for him - doing an inspection on the beach! He made me remove a lead patch I had over a butt seem that wouldnt hold caulking - he thought I ought to do something about that one of these days - I nailed the lead flashing back over the butt seem and it's still there as far as I know - 25 years later.
If I tried to do that now - they'd put me in jail!
Geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2012, 08:32   #60
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj

Our Manta with structurally attached keels has water tight bulkheads in the keels sectioning them off from the rest of the interior. Inside, only a smaller sump exists in the keel area.

Mark
Manta must have changed the design as there was a Manta that hit a reef in the Keys, holed a keel and was taking on water because of it.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote