Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: If you won the lottery and the prize was a mono or catamaran which would you choose?
I currently own a monohull and would choose a new monohull 48 27.91%
I currently own a monohull and would choose a new cruising catamaran 38 22.09%
I currently own a catamaran and would choose a new monohull 3 1.74%
I currently own a catamaran and would choose a new catamaran 83 48.26%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2008, 04:56   #1

Boat: B24
MULTIHULL MONOHULL SURVEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keegan View Post
If you won the lottery and the prize was your choice...
Hard to answer with any conviction -- I currently own a monohull and might choose a new cruising multi; but then again I might not … satisfied with mono, but multi-curious on sunshiny days… However, unless crew, maintenance officer, techno-gizmo technician and a maid, come with this fantasy vessel, and the cash to engage same for the foreseeable, ain’t gunna be anywhere near 50-foot… First, I’ve done my time as a barge-commander/maintenance-officer, now I just wanna sail… second, well, sometimes less is more… maybe something in the mid 30-foot range for a gadget free multi (probably a tri), or high twenties for a similar philosophy mono… pretty agnostic on the whole issue -- despite my new-found fantasy wealth, might just stay with what I got, throw a small party and buy a new suit of sails or something...
Old 09-05-2008, 05:07   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
I think David puts it best! "I am honestly happy with what I have."

And thats the way we all should be till the day after we have sold our boat.

Given money on no account I would go for an Oyster. They are well built sea boats and and nicely thought out for short handed cruising.

Thier latest range has a 46 and then a 54, so I spose I would go the 46. 54 must be getting a bit big for a couple. Nic would have another sport to beat me at: deck tennis

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 06:22   #3

Boat: Catana 471
I am happy with my current cat and I will never win the lotto because I don't play the lotto. I lose my money on Wall Street instead.

But IF I wasn't happy with my cat or IF I didn't have one, AND I came into enough money to buy anything I wanted, it would be a used Catana 471 (because they are no longer made) or a new Chris White design.

Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 06:48   #4
cruiser

Also tough to vote for me. I have a boat I'm very happy with right now. It fits what we were looking for in my price range.

However, I found it odd that you stopped the LOA at 50' for both monos and multis. Why? Because you need a longer LOA in a mono to have an equivalent sized boat. A 50 foot cat and a 50 foot mono are two completely different things, size-wise.

Assuming I *did* win the lottery, and I could invest properly so that I could afford the fuel upkeep and to travel with her, I would choose this boat, with one hell of a dinghy/lifeboat to go with it. I'd also have her rigged with a commercial KiteSail.

(but if I really have to choose, I'd choose the 50 foot cat, I guess)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lightship_portsmouth.JPG
Views:	549
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	3532  
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 07:11   #5
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
nice save Sean (LOL)
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 07:34   #6
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
If I won the lotto I would choose a mono from my current cat. I would head straight for the southern ocean, and immediatley sell it after returning. YEP, right back to a cat, and I would build with a well known yard under my direction, and influence of design. FIRST I guess I have to play to win!
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 08:24   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickm505 View Post
You sound surprised
Not really surprised. It just sort of confirms what I thought, that people are gradually coming around to catamarans. Why?...its just my idea that many sailors for so long imagined catamarans to be these home made, ugly contraptions made of marine plywood that could not point worth a darn. I still see boats like this tied up at the Berkeley and Emeryville marinas. What I am also seeing, over the past 20 years, are a LOT more modern catamarans taking up the end ties of marinas...and not just a few more but a lot more. Perhaps the reason is cats now can be made of modern materials which makes them a lot lighter AND the fact that sailors are in general, a cautious conservative bunch, who would rather see someone else be the guinea pig before considering purchasing a "new" design....not that cats are a new design but you know what I mean. So far, only one person in the poll has chosen to go from a cat to a monohull.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 08:37   #8
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
So far, only one person in the poll has chosen to go from a cat to a monohull.

I think that one vote was Sean screwing around
Old 09-05-2008, 08:41   #9

Boat: Dolphin 460 Catamaran WONDERLAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
So far, only one person in the poll has chosen to go from a cat to a monohull.

You can click on the number of votes up top on the poll and see WHO voted for what.

Imagine2frolic voted to go from cat to monohull but if you read in his post he would quickly revert back to a multihull after his return from the southern ocean.

keegan
Keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 08:43   #10
cruiser

I didn't know that. Thanks... Mystery explained.. Sorry Sean!!
Old 09-05-2008, 08:47   #11

Boat: c&c landfall 43
when I was looking for a boat I was open to what ever, mono or multi, I had no experience with either but one of the final factors was where can i get moorage and what was the cost. I think this is a major concern for most of us and in my neck of the woods slips are far from plentiful and I dont think any type of money could get you slip. final answer , mono and of coarse very happy with. aslo I have a friend that owns a tri and I'm sure he just wants to shoot himself sometimes when he has to travel a full day to get to a lift that can hull his boat out, just another inconvience in my mind.
limmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 08:54   #12

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Does a 16ft jon boat count as a monohull.

When I do get a cat one of the things that bug me a lot is the number of cats with mono tenders. If you got the money for a cat then get two!! They are better right?
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 09:13   #13

Boat: Catana 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
I would build with a well known yard under my direction, and influence of design.
Changing my original response to agree. I would not buy a production cat and would build a custom.

Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 09:14   #14
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by limmer View Post
when I was looking for a boat I was open to what ever, mono or multi, I had no experience with either but one of the final factors was where can i get moorage and what was the cost. I think this is a major concern for most of us .
This is a valid point. At the risk of additional thread drift, I just want to make a quick comment. If a 43' mono is the right size for you, then a 34-35 ft cat would have just as much or more interior room (center cockpits aside). Many of these boats fit in a conventional slip.

At 27', my boat is one of the smallest cruising cats made. (Heavenly Twins is smaller) My beam is just shy of 14'. My point is that even with twin diesels, I have more interior room and stowage than a Morgan 38'.

Food for thought
Old 09-05-2008, 10:13   #15
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickm505 View Post
This is a valid point. At the risk of additional thread drift, I just want to make a quick comment. If a 43' mono is the right size for you, then a 34-35 ft cat would have just as much or more interior room (center cockpits aside). Many of these boats fit in a conventional slip.

At 27', my boat is one of the smallest cruising cats made. (Heavenly Twins is smaller) My beam is just shy of 14'. My point is that even with twin diesels, I have more interior room and stowage than a Morgan 38'.

Food for thought
Which is also why I wondered why the choices stopped at 50 cat AND mono. You'd need a good 65 foot mono to have the same room as a 50 foot cat.

My 34' cat (Catalac 10M) has *more* room than a 45' Hirsh Gulfstar mono. I was trying for a smaller boat. Got a smaller LOA, but a larger boat. Suprised the heck out of me!
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
multihull