Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2011, 16:28   #31

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Re: Why Is the Manta Held in Such High Regard ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Yes, the last few boats suffered from quality control problems and some bad build decisions. I don't know the exact production numbers. I believe hull #127 was the last built, so probably hulls #122-127. Most of the owners have solved these problems by now.

I know most of the problems and can honestly say that those "problem" boats were delivered out of the factory in better shape than most new production cats. It's just that no one had ever seen those types of quality issues out of Manta before.

Mark

Fixed now I think but did you hear of the one that "opened up"? As in one could see blue water from the salon looking down. Don't know details. Heard from a "knowledgeable" source. Pure rumor?????
Old 23-10-2011, 19:44   #32

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
You are absolutely correct. Even the diagonal stanchion brace is in the same place. And it looks like there are tube steel lifelines forward with cables aft. Check it out. So was this at the Manta facility but being built by independents? BOB
That does look like Ice Wars. If the photo under the tarps came from the Manta factory, then the builder was renting the space for final fitout. Makes sense as the builder was an ex-Manta owner/principle. However, Ice Wars II is NOT in any way related with Manta nor was a Manta prototype or development boat of any sorts.

I have been to the factory. It is a fully enclosed warehouse-style building with front office. There would be no need for tarping over boats, so the above boat must have been outside the factory buildings.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2011, 19:49   #33

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Damn, I wanted the famous phantom Manta 50. Thanks for clearing that up. BOB
Sand crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2011, 20:00   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Fixed now I think but did you hear of the one that "opened up"? As in one could see blue water from the salon looking down. Don't know details. Heard from a "knowledgeable" source. Pure rumor?????
Wow, haven't heard that one. Frankly, I don't know how that could even happen. Even with the most outrageous build problems, the design and molds are such that you would never see the sea through the salon. The boat is made in two molds - the entire hull/bridgedeck/hull mold and the cabin top mold, and these two are glassed together into a monocoque. The boat would simply split in half and flounder before you saw blue water from the salon.

I suspect that what you heard is mostly rumor confused with the issue of the salon furniture not being glassed to the bridgedeck floor on the last few boats made. This caused the furniture to move around a bit in heavy seas and crack corian counters, open up joinery, etc. Definitely a quality/build problem, but not a dramatic structural or safety problem that would result in blue water in the salon.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 23-10-2011, 20:16   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Damn, I wanted the famous phantom Manta 50. Thanks for clearing that up. BOB
No problem, the boat you are seeking exists - the Ocean Catamaran 49, the Freydis 49 and the Brazapi 51.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fwd_View.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	32879   Click image for larger version

Name:	DragonSpin1s.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	32880  

Click image for larger version

Name:	freydis4903-9982.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	32881  

Old 24-10-2011, 05:45   #36
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Post Re: Why Is the Manta Held in Such High Regard ?

Hmmm, the Ocean Cat 49 sure looks a lot like the Freydis 49. I wonder why that is.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 10:35   #37

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Wow, haven't heard that one. Frankly, I don't know how that could even happen. Even with the most outrageous build problems, the design and molds are such that you would never see the sea through the salon. The boat is made in two molds - the entire hull/bridgedeck/hull mold and the cabin top mold, and these two are glassed together into a monocoque. The boat would simply split in half and flounder before you saw blue water from the salon.

I suspect that what you heard is mostly rumor confused with the issue of the salon furniture not being glassed to the bridgedeck floor on the last few boats made. This caused the furniture to move around a bit in heavy seas and crack corian counters, open up joinery, etc. Definitely a quality/build problem, but not a dramatic structural or safety problem that would result in blue water in the salon.

Mark

Probably the pure rumor side.

And it might not have even been told in the (closed to the public) Manta group if true either.
Old 24-10-2011, 12:34   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Hmmm, the Ocean Cat 49 sure looks a lot like the Freydis 49. I wonder why that is.
Because it was splashed off of one. The owner of Ocean Cats was the original owner of Manta and seems to have a fondness for stealing LaRouge designs and building them under another name.

Mark

Old 24-10-2011, 14:19   #39

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

I can't beleive it. An Ocean Cat was just listed for sale today. Considering there were only 6 built what are the odds. You will have to register to get the full specs page but you can get a free copy of Multihulls Mag for the trouble.
http://www.catamarans.com/sales/main...5899&curr_id=7
BOB
Sand crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 16:12   #40
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Because it was splashed off of one. The owner of Ocean Cats was the original owner of Manta and seems to have a fondness for stealing LaRouge designs and building them under another name.

Mark
I don't think Henry is Eric Lerouge's favorite person But at least Henry has good taste!
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 14:04   #41
pbr

The boat in the temporary shelter behind the Manta factory, was the Fastwater 52 designed by Cort Steck, and built under my supervision for the owner, who is an ex-Manta owner. It is built of aluminum and has a free standing carbon fiber mast. It has nothing to do with Manta other than the same guy (me) developed and oversaw the construction of both boats.
pbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2013, 12:58   #42
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via Skype™ to Manta Catamaran

Manta Catamarans is looking for a select (1) one venture capitalist / equity partner; or several small investors to help us put this line back into production.
The first steps have been taken, we have located a building suitable for production, have spoken with many of the key personnel from the old company, we have had the molds surveyed by professionals and have a schedule of processes needed to bring the molds back into production quality.
We have started working on the marketing machine, website and social networking and are putting together a boat show appearance schedule. We have started building the hype and making small waves in the market.
Be the first to place an order and receive a substantial discount of the construction of your new boat.
For more information, Business Plan and Cash Flow Projections give us a call @ 941-979-9728 during normal business hours.
Thanks
John & Marge Lange
Manta Catamaran is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
manta