Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2007, 19:04   #16

Boat: Lotus 10.6
Pay to remove it as you will just have to buy more lead to melt into the anchor when it dilutes into the galv solution. Nothing is ever simple
seafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2007, 14:01   #17
cruiser

Some more issues:

The hot dip galvanizing shop says I shouldn't bring my chain there now. I asked a few more questions about it fusing, etc... and they said I should get it electroplated. I'll agree with Seafox here... nothing is ever simple.

So for those that have done this before, did you bring the anchor to the hot dip facility and the chain to an electroplating facility? If you've done a CQR, does the hot dip galvanizing fuse the two moveable parts of the CQR together?

Should I just buy a new anchor and spray paint my chain with the galvanizing spray?

Does anyone have experience with the above technicalities?
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2007, 14:17   #18

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
G'day Sean, they sure seem to like makeing up excuses and makeing thing's tough up there.

I doubt that you'd get enough buildup with galv paint, and it would not be as tough as hot dip either.

Are these clown's the only mob around? And what did they say about the lead?

Dave
Old 29-01-2007, 15:24   #19
cruiser

G'day, Dave!

Thanks for the input. Yes, this seems to be the only mob in town alright. There is another up in CT who apparently does a very poor job and fused another member of the board's chain all together making it useless in the gypsy. They sure do like to make it tough up here... I'd have to agree.

I was going to pop the lead out myself to be sure. Sure wish there was a place to just go and say, "Hey. Here is an anchor and some chain. Please galvanize both without fuseing anything together."

I'm at a loss...
Old 29-01-2007, 19:19   #20

May be better to put the old anchor on Trademe (EBay) and buy a new one. I reckon new chain would be better too. There must be a place you can buy new galv chain discount over your way. How bad is the existing chain?
Old 29-01-2007, 21:46   #21

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by seafox
May be better to put the old anchor on Trademe (EBay) and buy a new one. I reckon new chain would be better too. There must be a place you can buy new galv chain discount over your way. How bad is the existing chain?
Time to check out that Manson Supreme or similar maybe

Dave
Old 30-01-2007, 00:47   #22

there are some pretty good new anchor types available. The plow and danforth have been around for yonks so maybe the new tech is worth a look.
Old 30-01-2007, 01:48   #23

Boat: now floating easy37
bugger the hacksaw blade use a grinder and cutting disk, work of a minut and hey presto one free anchor
sean
northerncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2007, 05:15   #24
cruiser

Damn... another boating expense feels like it's creeping up. Maybe Craig from Rocna will want me to "advertise" his anchor around the East Coast USA? One can dream...

Seriously, though... neither the chain or the anchor are "rusted" in the sense that there is anything more than a spot or two the size of a pencil eraser. There are only two spots like that on the flukes of the CQR and on the anchor chain, there are a few links with spots the diameter of the pencil lead inside the pencil.

The anchor and chain are sound, but they lack any protection from corrosion.

You could *almost* still use them, but once we leave the dock, we plan to not see another for a year or more. This means the anchor will be down for a long LONG time. It's our primary means of holding the boat still. So... I have to get it ready before leaving.

Anyway, I guess this means I should have the anchor hot dipped and buy new chain? Seems like SUCH a waste to just toss out 200' of perfectly good chain. Plus, I now have to find a chain that will fit my gypsy and is of high enough quality. Does this sound like the right approach?
Old 30-01-2007, 05:51   #25
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan
Seriously, though... neither the chain or the anchor are "rusted" in the sense that there is anything more than a spot or two the size of a pencil eraser. There are only two spots like that on the flukes of the CQR and on the anchor chain, there are a few links with spots the diameter of the pencil lead inside the pencil.

The anchor and chain are sound, but they lack any protection from corrosion.

You could *almost* still use them, but once we leave the dock, we plan to not see another for a year or more. This means the anchor will be down for a long LONG time. It's our primary means of holding the boat still. So... I have to get it ready before leaving.

Obviously these things are hard to judge from a continent away, but it sounds like you may be looking for work..........

Quote:
Does this sound like the right approach?
Dear Insurance Company,

A bloke on the Internet said "dab a bit of Hammerite on it and monitor the situation / worry about it later".

Please send me a new boat.

Yours faithfully

David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2007, 08:13   #26

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Sean,

My wife used to freak out at the first sign of wear on our halyards and sheets, and she made me buy new ones. I kept the old ones, and after a few years of her getting more familiar with the boat, she looked at the old sheets. Guess what? She said, "Gosh, these are still in pretty good condition!"

How good is your anchor and chain? A picture is worth a thousand words. Please post a pic of the chain and anchor and invite comments.

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2007, 08:34   #27
cruiser

Here's 3000 words! :)

Steve, you're right. Sometimes we forget these things. I should have posted a picture much earlier.

Here are 3 photos (3000 words worth) of information. Note the rust on the chain and shackle in the picture is the very worst of the rust on the chain. As you get so much as 10 feet up the chain, there is absolutely no rust, but not really much zinc there either. I was going to flip this chain end-for-end anyway... so maybe that is enough.

With the anchor, I definitely have that lead in the tip, and I am showing rust in the areas pictured - on the edges of the flukes and a couple random spots.

It's not a lot of rust, and I could go many years with it in this condition as a weekender. However, I will have this anchor buried for the next 6 months min (starting in April). It will likely be 12 mos or more if we do things according the the latest plan.

The idea for re-galvanizing is to preserve the anchor and chain so I can keep using them and not have to buy new gear so quickly.

Here are the photos:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chain.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	852   Click image for larger version

Name:	starboard.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	853  

Click image for larger version

Name:	bowon.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	854  
Old 30-01-2007, 09:27   #28
cruiser

Adding to the body of knowledge about galvanizing, I found a shop that actually knew about galvanizing 200' of chain. They said, "what, is it for an anchor?" without any prompting. They do many each season, so they sound promising. So... for any of you that live within range of Perth Amboy, NJ, here is the contact info:

V&S Amboy Galvanizing LLC
25' x 6' x 10'
1190 Amboy Ave
Perth Amboy, NJ 08861
P: 732-442-7555, 732-310-3048
F: 732-442-5560
Voigt & Schweitzer USA -- Hot Dip Galvanizing
amboy@hotdipgalvanizing.com
Old 30-01-2007, 10:51   #29

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Sean it looks like new!! Just end for end it. And when you put the shackle on put lots of lanolin on it. Won't wash off as easily as grease, especially in the cold water up north, and lasts for months. As for the anchor it looks pretty good too. You must be short of things to spend time and money on.
Old 30-01-2007, 10:57   #30
cruiser

Really?? I suspected that if I wanted to keep the CQR (and chain) in shape for many years to come, I would have to stop the rust right now, rather than letting it build. Is this the wrong way to look at it?

This is in good shape, even though it will spend probably 12 mos submerged every single day, 24hrs/day for the next year or so?

Tags
anchor