Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2017, 04:36   #16

Re: DIY Workbench: Collapsible, & Portable - Improvements Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Firstly, sorry guys, I suck at posting pics, otherwise I would.
C'mon, posting pictures is simple. Saying you suck at is isn't a very good excuse. You're a smart guy.

Picture posting tutorial -
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 10:36   #17

Boat: Hans Christian 41 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Yes, I'll confess, I have a permanent case of LUST when it comes to having a dedicated workbench onboard a boat. Though it's rarely common to have the space onboard for such, so... I adapted/adopted the following idea.

It’s pretty easy to make a compact collapsible work bench from a 2”x12” (or similar), plus a set of hinges. But I'm curious as to what you guys might have idea wise in terms of improvements on mine. And below are instructions on how to make one akin to the one I've built.

- You cut the 2"x12" into 3 pieces. One being the bench’s top, which is long enough to sit on while working. And to stabilize it via your seated weight. The other 2 cut from the 2"x12" will be the bench's legs

- After which, you attach the legs to the bench with door hinges, such that when folded the legs will be fully underneath of the bench top. So that it folds flat for compact storage.

- Followed by machining a hole into the lower part of both bench legs, for a cross bar which will hold them in place.

- Then fit a cross bar through the two legs, & machine it for a locking pin on both ends. The locking pin’s purpose being to hold the legs in position via the cross piece.

- And you then can:
~Fit a vise onto the benchtop using Quick Detachable fasteners
~ Machine holes into the worktop to hold your most commonly used tools when you’re working. Such as; a rigging knife, mallet, awl, scissors, splicing wands, etc.
~Fit the bench with a metal “anvil plate” over part of it’s length so that it can be pounded on heavily while using a hammer to shape various project parts.
~Ditto on adding a small, smooth sheet of FRP to it's top to use as a micro-laminating work surface for building composite parts on.

- Also, it would pay to incorporate a way to easily, & firmly attach the workbench to; a set of sawhorses, a table top, the boat’s cockpit bench seats, or similar seating benches belowdecks in the saloon, etcetera.

So what do you guys have in terms of possible improvements?
TIA
Really sounds good; wish you would be as resourceful at posting pictures.

hugosalt
Have tried to make the best of space on my small 30 fter.
So my fender board doubles as my work bench (2 x 8") cut to the exact length
between my winches with the smallest notch cut out on each end so it locks in
athwartship. Can mount vise, has a few holes for tools and and few depressions to hold
screws/bolts. As fender board is a consumable i get to make a new improved one every few years. Also comes in handy to stand on if needed to get a better look ahead.
It lives under bunk or tied to rail when being used frequently.
Not good with posting pics.
Yesterday 10:08

This is another fantastic idea that I think I can incorporate on board.
I cannot believe you, obviously capable, guys can't post a picture.
Oh well, at least you've furnished the idea.
Old 30-05-2017, 10:44   #18

Boat: Liberty 458

We have a 3' x 2' dedicated workbench on our Liberty 458. It's too nice for any serious work but very useful for small jobs and parts layout.

I have an old piece of craftwood covered in clear sticky carpet plastic. I cannot kill it. I sit it on a 4x2 frame which sits in two foldup sawhorses.

I also have a 7x15' workshop at our marina. Complete with Tig, drill press, linisher, mandrel bender and space for lots of handtools and spares. This keeps swarf, grit and materiel off the boat.

Love those big powerboat workshops with a full metalwork shop.
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 13:41   #19

Boat: Pearson 34-II

"I have a entire quarter berth given over to waterproof plastic boxes of tools, walking foot sewing machine, spare parts, and materials. After six months of full time cruising I can say with confidence that all of this valuable stuff has largely been nothing but waste of space and weight, not to mention a real hinderance when it has come time to perform normal maintenance like changing fuel filters or whatever because of the time it takes to dig all that stuff out." Delancey

D,
You do not need a complete mechanical inventory to cruise but if you don't have the tools that are needed to repair a problem, you will forever be at the mercy of marine mechanics, riggers, glassmen, etc. at prices that will range from high to exorbitant. And, the levels of ability of these workers could range from incompetent to questionable. Our quarter-berth is loaded identically to yours but on a smaller boat(34 feet). We have never regretted the extra weight or space required to be self-sufficient. And, yes, it is, at times, exasperating to dig and hunt but the rewards, to us, are worth the effort. However, the converse is also true in that there is a limit to what you CAN carry on a 34-40" boat which would not include: drill press, welder, bench saws, etc. Many of us are tinkerers and some skilled mechanics. However, a workbench on a small boat is not really feasible and would be more appropriate on larger, commodious vessels. We have used picnic benches, fallen trees, rock formations and, one time, a bridge as a workbench when cruising. Necessity is the mother of invention. Good luck and safe sailing.
Old 30-05-2017, 17:20   #20

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps

Been long time since my name and ingenious has been used in same sentence
so I thought I should spend some time and figure out how to post a few pics.

These pics from when I made 1st bench from fender board, current one
has evolved with holes for tools and cut outs for/depressions for screws etc.
...and holes to accommodate permanently installed line when fender board deployed.
Most important, current one has ends cut so board will still lock in around winch
base but hardly protrude out so not to catch onto anything when fender board is deployed.

Hope pics took.

Hugo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	workbench.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	148767   Click image for larger version

Name:	workbench2.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	148768  

hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 17:33   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Good work, Hugo! I had a similar bench, but it mounted tightly on my foredeck hatch coaming and had two vises permanently attached. I retired it when the vises began to be more hunks of rust than tools. What I find most necessary is a way to clamp and hold things, so I carry two medium-sized wooden carpenter vises: one to hold the part I'm sawing or drilling, and the other to clamp the first vise to an immovable object like the cockpit coaming. But I might copy your idea since my newly re-finished cockpit coaming tops are too nice to use as workbenches any more.
Cheers!
Ben
zartmancruising dot com
Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 17:38   #22

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

Anyone considered something like this?

A Benchtop Bench - FineWoodworking

Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 18:12   #23

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugosalt View Post

...and holes to accommodate permanently installed line when fender board deployed.
Most important, current one has ends cut so board will still lock in around winch
base but hardly protrude out so not to catch onto anything when fender board is deployed.

Hope pics took.

Hugo

Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks? Great idea, Hugo. Very ingenious. Good luck and safe sailing.
Old 30-05-2017, 18:30   #24

Quote:

Hope pics took.

Hugo
Nice work all around! It's an old adage but pictures or it didn't happen. I'm beginning to wonder if there isn't some other reason the OP hasn't put up the goods.

Regardless, tip of the hat for your ingenious use of your environment. I don't doubt you have created a simple, elegant, and robust work surface!

I designed and built furniture for a number of years. Hinges to connect legs to a top are at best a pretty rickety solution in my opinion. Besides this, the "crossbar" the OP mentioned is properly called a stretcher and a couple of "pins" to hold it in place aren't going to cut it since pin is another word for rotational axis.

To make what he is talking about you need to do something like a through-tenon stretcher pictured below which has a precisely fit shoulder with a wide surface area. Pretty basic engineering but challenging joinery even for someone experienced.

Your solution though, very nice. Extra points for making the effort to post the pics!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1246.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	148774  
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 05:48   #25

Boat: Bristol 45.5

Here's how I do it on my Bristol 45 https://youtu.be/s6ub9DNxxFQ
Alchemy455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 10:03   #26

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:

Hope pics took.

Hugo
Mine is very similar to this - I have a little stanley vise I can clamp on and also a number of diverse sized clamp vises so I can hold most things.

My board doubles as a board that our extra fuel jerry cans are strapped to, our fender board is pretty sleazy

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 14:30   #27

Not a work bench, but an idea for tool kit storage that one can whip up (LOL)

https://www.finewoodworking.com/2006...ley-tool-chest
DocHolliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 21:10   #28
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Seen one just like it at HD, but expensive, maybe $120 and without any tools!
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 00:36   #29

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

I am still in the construction phase of the yacht but one thing I will turn my attention to is an area where I can set up a workshop.

With that in mind I never throw away cordless drills, saws, grinders etc when the batteries are kaput because I will wire the "skins" up to work off the 24V battery bank.

Clive
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, enc